Motherboard
GA-P55-USB3
CPU
i5-760
Graphics
GTX 970
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, I tried unsuccessfully last night to upgrade to High Sierra. GA P55-USB3 board, i5-760, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970. Not wanting to bork my working install that's been running well for like 2 years, I cloned my El Capitan boot drive to a USB HDD, installed Clover 4700 to a usb stick, ran the installer onto the clone, then rebooted with clover on the USB stick, selected "boot Install macOs from <clone drive>". It went to a black screen with big white apple and a progress bar that went relatively quickly to about 50%, then crept to about 80% over the next 15 minutes, and did not go further after over an hour (I was in and out of the room doing other things).

FWIW, the Clover install on the USB stick is capable of booting up the original El Capitan install (except it doesn't load the nvidia web driver or audio drivers, because I didn't bother setting the clover config up completely).

I know that's not a lot of info to work with; I will try doing it with -v tonight and see where it gets. Also I'm going to pop the clone drive out of the usb enclosure and hook it up to SATA so it won't be so abysmally slow (only USB 2.0 attached drives are accessible to Clover on this board). If anyone has any advice in the meantime, please let me know.

I'm wondering if perhaps I should re-clone to the USB drive, install Clover 4700 there, then do Multibeast and get that drive to boot up with full functionality before trying to run the upgrade?

I could have sworn I copied FakeSMC to the usb stick after installing clover... but I took a second look at my stuff before getting started tonight and it wasn’t there. Derp. Fixed that.

I decided to just bite the bullet and install to my SSD so it wouldn’t be so horribly slow; I can always restore from my clone if things go south. At any rate, I’m actually in the installer now with 34 minutes to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back