Contribute
Register

El Capitan Haswell Hackintosh random crashing. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silly question, but...I've created a USB drive with memtest but can't seem to make the computer boot from it. Clover shows a linux drive which doesn't boot.

Any help?
Thanks

How did you create you're Memtest boot stick?

How did you create you're Memtest boot stick?
I did this:

1.) Become root:

su
2.) Plug in your SD card, HDD, or other block device and then use the following command to see which /dev/diskN node it’s located on:

diskutil list
3.) Unmount the disk where “N” is the number of the disk taken from the above command:

diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN
If the above command was successful, you will see:

Unmount of all volumes on diskN was successful

4.) Use the ‘dd’ command to copy the image file (.dd or .img generally) to the entire disk:

dd if=myImage.dd of=/dev/diskN

Then when the computer boots using Clover, I get a Linux disk that won't mount.
Thanks

I did this:

1.) Become root:

su
2.) Plug in your SD card, HDD, or other block device and then use the following command to see which /dev/diskN node it’s located on:

diskutil list
3.) Unmount the disk where “N” is the number of the disk taken from the above command:

diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN
If the above command was successful, you will see:

Unmount of all volumes on diskN was successful

4.) Use the ‘dd’ command to copy the image file (.dd or .img generally) to the entire disk:

dd if=myImage.dd of=/dev/diskN

Then when the computer boots using Clover, I get a Linux disk that won't mount.
Thanks

Are you pressing F12 at the BIOS to choose boot priority?

Yes, I selected F12.
All that I saw were a collection of MacOS, and UEFIOS selections.
Disk Utility shows the flash drive as MS-DOS FAT16

Yes, I selected F12.
All that I saw were a collection of MacOS, and UEFIOS selections.
Disk Utility shows the flash drive as MS-DOS FAT16

USB boot stick needs to be in Fat32. Probably be better to create the boot stick in Windows or Linux.

I'm having same problem... random reboots for no apparent reason. Doesn't matter if it's light load, no load, or heavy load.

On same motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H + 4790K + 32GB RAM

Generated DSDT for mobo, removed NullPowerManagementKext, increased Vcore, swapped graphics card, disabled monitor sleep, disabled sleep, disabled wifi card -- nothing seems to make a difference. Memtest tested okay.

Funny thing is I can run a 12-hour stress test and not a crash/reboot... quit the stress test, and then just browsing around and BOOM - restart again!

I'm getting pretty fed up with this mobo... my old Z68 mobo and 2600K overclocked CPU is more stable than this piece of **** current setup. My old Z68 will run for 4-weeks straight, with no random reboots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back