Contribute
Register

El Capitan - Gigabyte GA Z170N Gaming 5 Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried it without the BT/WiFi plugged in? I don't have any experience with this one.

I swapped out the one that my MOBO came with for the Broadcom BCM94352Z M.2 Wifi/BT card. So it's possible that you may need to remove your BT card. Not 100% sure though
do you know how to deal with black screen after loading OS X , i have installed nvidia drivers and coda , but the screen goes black after loading

I'm using whatever is on the board. Is there a way to unplugg BT/WiFi just on the mobo?

Yes, you can disconnect the antennas and un-screw the screw holding the M.2 wireless card in and then pull out the card. Make sure to disconnect the antenna wires from the M.2 wireless card carefully!

Did you get your build to work? I have the Gigabyte Z170N as well and I am having issues as well. I can get pass all the installation process but where I run into trouble is I can't shutdown even if I apply FixShutdown in Clover and cannot wake from sleep. I heard this is a problem with Intel 530 graphics but its also an issue when I put a GTX 950. Any suggestions?

You guys with the Z170N Gaming 5 motherboard...

I noticed this one only has one USB 2.0 internal header and only USB 3.0/3.1 on the back. Are you installing with the Clover USB in a USB3 port? I was considering this motherboard for a new build. Its been a while since Ive built an osx86 machine and I thought you had to use a USB 2 port for the installation. But maybe my memory isn't serving me. Just wondering.

Hey everyone!

This is a long overdue update but I ended up getting everything to work! The issues I had were all due to incompatible RAM :banghead:. Drove me insane to find that out...

I ended up getting the Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory as that was the only one compatible (according to Corsair's memory compatibility page).

When getting RAM for this MOBO, make sure you go to the manufacturers website and put in the mobo to find which RAM is compatible with it (don't just take PCPARTPICKER's word for it :p)

Did you get your memory to show up correctly as 3000mhz or is it still 2400mhz?
I'm working on a similar build and have managed to get the 16gb 2x8GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz to show a 16GB, but not the correct speed.

Did you get your memory to show up correctly as 3000mhz or is it still 2400mhz?
I'm working on a similar build and have managed to get the 16gb 2x8GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz to show a 16GB, but not the correct speed.

If you scroll back a couple pages you will see this:

Bluetooth/Wifi: I installed the Broadcom BCM94352Z M.2 Wifi/BT following ammulder's guide. I have not patched it for 5 GHz yet (seems a bit more rigorous so I'm putting it off for now). Otherwise, BT and 2.4 GHz Wifi are running great!
Graphics Card: Installed the web drivers. Checked the box: nvda_drv=1 in Clover Configurator (of my EFI). The Titan X has been running smoothly!
RAM: I had to edit the "memory" section of my config.plist to this in order for it to recognize the full 32 GB of ram (it was only seeing 16 GB):
Code:
<key>Memory</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Channels</key>
            <integer>2</integer>
            <key>Modules</key>
            <array>
                <dict>
                    <key>Frequency</key>
                    <string>2400</string>
                    <key>Part</key>
                    <string>VengeanceLPX</string>
                    <key>Serial</key>
                    <string>161101867953528</string>
                    <key>Size</key>
                    <string>16384</string>
                    <key>Slot</key>
                    <string>0</string>
                    <key>Type</key>
                    <string>DDR4</string>
                    <key>Vendor</key>
                    <string>Corsair</string>
                </dict>
                <dict>
                    <key>Frequency</key>
                    <string>2400</string>
                    <key>Part</key>
                    <string>VengeanceLPX</string>
                    <key>Serial</key>
                    <string>161101867953527</string>
                    <key>Size</key>
                    <string>16384</string>
                    <key>Slot</key>
                    <string>2</string>
                    <key>Type</key>
                    <string>DDR4</string>
                    <key>Vendor</key>
                    <string>Corsair</string>
                </dict>
            </array>
            <key>SlotCount</key>
            <integer>2</integer>
        </dict>

You can edit everything in there from the serial number to the clock speed to the amount of RAM. Good luck!

done it, Thanks. I was trying to edit the config.plist in Clover Configurator which only gives you the dropdown list that goes up to 2600.

in case i need to do this again...

- Right click on the config.plist file
- open with... Other.
- select 'TextEdit', open.
- scroll down to the bottom, locate both memory info sections.
- change the 2600 to 3000.
- close.
Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 20.08.32.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back