Contribute
Register

El Capitan Beta with Dell XPS 13 9343 (Early 2015 Model)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clover is installed to the EFI partition and that is where BIOS is loading it (and hence where Clover gets its configuration), so placing a Clover folder on the system partition has no effect.

Read the FAQ for how to mount EFI.

Thanks for the reply! Fixed it and now I can boot without USB drive. I was following this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-intel-hd-graphics-5500-on-os-x-yosemite-10-10-3.162062/

Not really sure how to apply the patch in step 2.1. (i.e. where do you find AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer?)
Clover is installed to the EFI partition and that is where BIOS is loading it (and hence where Clover gets its configuration), so placing a Clover folder on the system partition has no effect.

Read the FAQ for how to mount EFI.

Thanks for the reply! I fixed clover and graphics. Is there a detailed post installation guide? i.e. battery, webcam, bluetooth, etc.

Thanks for the reply! Fixed it and now I can boot without USB drive. I was following this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-intel-hd-graphics-5500-on-os-x-yosemite-10-10-3.162062/

Not really sure how to apply the patch in step 2.1. (i.e. where do you find AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer?)

If you're looking to use the minStolenSize patch, it is already included in the plists linked from my Clover guide, but is disabled (read post #2 regarding disabled patches).

Thanks for the reply! I fixed clover and graphics. Is there a detailed post installation guide? i.e. battery, webcam, bluetooth, etc.

If QE/CI is working, I don't know why you are trying to patch AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer.

As for your other questions, read the FAQ: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Currently brightness settings are broken on my laptop. If it is plugged into the wall it runns at full brightness, but if it is on battery it is very dark.

If i'm home i'll look into it.

@pgh550 it would be ideal if you could go back and update your original post with the current DSDT that works with 10.11.6 (if you are using that). I know Sierra is about to come up and we'll all want to be on that, I personally don't care to be on the beta cycle of OSX.

The DSDT that is currently posted in this thread does not appear to handle the adaptive brightness or the battery correctly in 10.11.x. I have been out of the scene for several months since I gave Ubuntu 16.04 a serious test run, ultimately I left again due to a lack of professional and creative software. The OS was just as good as OSX imo, but the software is lacking for a creative professional.

So here's the DSDT and the kext files that I am using, and while the brightness keys do control the brightness ok they do not trigger the OS brightness overlay. They used to in 10.10.x, but I never could crack how to do it in 10.11.x awhile back and I haven't given it another shot.

EDIT: I do not recall what all patches I applied to this DSDT, but I know I had discussed various things I had done in this thread to get it to the point it is at, but still I did not ever list all the patches applied methodically like I should have and at this point it would probably be easier to start from scratch and I do not have time to do that atm.

I continued to use your config.plist with an addition of -v on the boot parameters. I have also grabbed the latest Rehabman kext files to get broadcom bluetooth and wifi working. Previously I had some stability issues, but I believe most of it was related to using displaylink drivers on my system to drive a 2nd and at times a 3rd monitor. On another note after running Ubuntu for about 6 months I can say I had fewer freezes, but overall I would still get some odd kernel freezes and end up with a system that would not respond to the touchpad or reboot commands. It makes me feel better about the OSX build than I did previously, and even with additional freezes I would rather put up with it than the lack of particular software. Ultimately, in a few months I am likely to upgrade from this and my Macbook Air as having something rock solid stable is important to me.

Attachments

• 10.11.6 XPS 13 9343.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 143
Last edited:
@pgh550 it would be ideal if you could go back and update your original post with the current DSDT that works with 10.11.6 (if you are using that). I know Sierra is about to come up and we'll all want to be on that, I personally don't care to be on the beta cycle of OSX.

The DSDT that is currently posted in this thread does not appear to handle the adaptive brightness or the battery correctly in 10.11.x. I have been out of the scene for several months since I gave Ubuntu 16.04 a serious test run, ultimately I left again due to a lack of professional and creative software. The OS was just as good as OSX imo, but the software is lacking for a creative professional.

So here's the DSDT and the kext files that I am using, and while the brightness keys do control the brightness ok they do not trigger the OS brightness overlay. They used to in 10.10.x, but I never could crack how to do it in 10.11.x awhile back and I haven't given it another shot.

EDIT: I do not recall what all patches I applied to this DSDT, but I know I had discussed various things I had done in this thread to get it to the point it is at, but still I did not ever list all the patches applied methodically like I should have and at this point it would probably be easier to start from scratch and I do not have time to do that atm.

I continued to use your config.plist with an addition of -v on the boot parameters. I have also grabbed the latest Rehabman kext files to get broadcom bluetooth and wifi working. Previously I had some stability issues, but I believe most of it was related to using displaylink drivers on my system to drive a 2nd and at times a 3rd monitor. On another note after running Ubuntu for about 6 months I can say I had fewer freezes, but overall I would still get some odd kernel freezes and end up with a system that would not respond to the touchpad or reboot commands. It makes me feel better about the OSX build than I did previously, and even with additional freezes I would rather put up with it than the lack of particular software. Ultimately, in a few months I am likely to upgrade from this and my Macbook Air as having something rock solid stable is important to me.

It is never a good idea to use patched ACPI files from another computer. Patch your own...

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

Dell released a new BIOS in August with some apparent ACPI updates

XPS 13 9343 A09 BIOS
Fixes & Enhancements
1.Fixed CPU capped at 0.48GHz after resume from sleep with dell power companion.
2.Fixed touchpad may sometimes freeze in Setup and OS.
3.Fixed G/g password not response in BIOS setting issue.
4.Update suspend/resume protections

I've been working on new DSDT and SSDT fixes with A07, but I'm going to update and start over. I've also had some stability issues, but this might address them.

Otherwise I'm working on getting USB to work perfectly, including after sleep, since it's essential to Bluetooth.

Right now I'm wondering if the PCIID XHCIMux kext is necessary when the EHC1 > EH01 USB fixes are in place and proper USBInjectAll.kext mappings are in place as well. Without XHCIMux (but with EH01) USB2 seems to recover better, but I've fiddled with WAK's XSEL vs ESEL settings and I can't tell whether it's better. Still up in the air since I haven't had time to map the ports for USBInjectAll.kext.

I haven't gotten around to mapping the brightness keys, but please let me know if you have a patch for this for the 9343.

PS. My webcam seems to work perfectly fine after improving the USB situation in the DSDT.

Dell released a new BIOS in August with some apparent ACPI updates

I've been working on new DSDT and SSDT fixes with A07, but I'm going to update and start over. I've also had some stability issues, but this might address them.

Otherwise I'm working on getting USB to work perfectly, including after sleep, since it's essential to Bluetooth.

Right now I'm wondering if the PCIID XHCIMux kext is necessary when the EHC1 > EH01 USB fixes are in place and proper USBInjectAll.kext mappings are in place as well. Without XHCIMux (but with EH01) USB2 seems to recover better, but I've fiddled with WAK's XSEL vs ESEL settings and I can't tell whether it's better. Still up in the air since I haven't had time to map the ports for USBInjectAll.kext.

I haven't gotten around to mapping the brightness keys, but please let me know if you have a patch for this for the 9343.

PS. My webcam seems to work perfectly fine after improving the USB situation in the DSDT.

FakePCIID_XHCIMux solves a different problem than EHCx->EH0x patches.

For your hardware, I would prefer to disable the EHCI controller and use only XHCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back