Contribute
Register

"eHack" [In Progress]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someday, I wanna be able to do something like this. Personally, I think it would be cooler with an iMac G4.
You'll have to check out the iMac G4s like Esterhernds recent builds. As far as eMacs, I didn't see one done, got it super cheap, and it is easier to fit a MB into.

Yesterday came home my eMac purchased almost for nothing: 1.42ghz, 2gb ram, bluetooth and airport included. Great machine...(There are plenty of it in Argentina,used in mint condition, abailable for very little money because of outdated software in powerpc world).
But the main idea for it is to try to hack CRT, to work as standalone monitor, and being able to put any motherboard inside.
I know its not going to be easy (Some people have tried this before with no sucess).
I´m an expert laptop- electronic level- technician.
Wish my luck...
Sorry about my English.

Yesterday came home my eMac purchased almost for nothing: 1.42ghz, 2gb ram, bluetooth and airport included. Great machine...(There are plenty of it in Argentina,used in mint condition, abailable for very little money because of outdated software in powerpc world).
But the main idea for it is to try to hack CRT, to work as standalone monitor, and being able to put any motherboard inside.
I know its not going to be easy (Some people have tried this before with no sucess).
I´m an expert laptop- electronic level- technician.
Wish my luck...
Sorry about my English.

That is going to be a very tight fit. Leaving the CRT only leaves you with the emac motherboard area to work with. I'm sure a nuc or brix would fit, but then you have to go vga to hdmi. Good luck and be careful with that CRT!

That is going to be a very tight fit. Leaving the CRT only leaves you with the emac motherboard area to work with. I'm sure a nuc or brix would fit, but then you have to go vga to hdmi. Good luck and be careful with that CRT!

I think that a mini-itx mobo will fit well. Dont know for shure, like i say it came yesterday.
Maybe a thin mini-itx?
Well first i have to hack the IVAD-to-logic conector:
http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eServer/eMac-video.jpg

Update: Just opened my eMac lastnigth and things seems to be very promising in terms of space for a mini-itx mobo (About 6 cm. tall free removing eMac g4 logic board and dvd-drive), and laptop size HD.
No room for atx PSU but i have an idea for that (Some kind of stand were psu will be, and were the eMac will be seating on).
I see things easy in therm of cooling.
Im a litlle bit suprised: seems to be that no one as tried before to seriusly attempting to hack the eMac CRT vga? (I´m planning to change that).
Sorry about my English please.

This build is very nice! I would like to do this someday with a nonworking one. I have a working one, which is very nice. The design of these computers are satisfying ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back