4. iBook
  5. iMac
  6. Performa
  7. Power Mac
  8. PowerBook
  9. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone, I recently found an amazing deal on a sonnet 750ex thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure and I'm trying to get it working with my Hackintosh Razer Blade 15 2018 Advanced running Catalina. I have a Dell OEM AMD R9 290X installed in it, and it works fine under windows (and on my real mac pro running mojave) but any time i try to load macOS with it installed, it just crashes with a kernel panic and corrupted graphics on the laptop display. The rest of the enclosure does work however, if i boot with -wenoegpu or with the graphics card removed it boots and detects all of the USB ports and the PCIe ethernet. I should note that this laptop does have onboard Nvidia GTX1060 graphics, but i have it disabled using SSDT-dGPU-Off. I also tested with a GT710 which i used to use in the previously mentioned 5,1 mac pro, same result. I now have a Radeon 7770 in there, and i could try that too i suppose but i suspect more of the same. Attached are photos of the verbose boot log and the corrupted graphics on the internal (iGPU) display. I can also provide my opencore EFI folder if you'd like.
IMG_6789.jpg
IMG_6790.jpg

Hi everyone, I recently found an amazing deal on a sonnet 750ex thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure and I'm trying to get it working with my Hackintosh Razer Blade 15 2018 Advanced running Catalina. I have a Dell OEM AMD R9 290X installed in it, and it works fine under windows (and on my real mac pro running mojave) but any time i try to load macOS with it installed, it just crashes with a kernel panic and corrupted graphics on the laptop display. The rest of the enclosure does work however, if i boot with -wenoegpu or with the graphics card removed it boots and detects all of the USB ports and the PCIe ethernet. I should note that this laptop does have onboard Nvidia GTX1060 graphics, but i have it disabled using SSDT-dGPU-Off. I also tested with a GT710 which i used to use in the previously mentioned 5,1 mac pro, same result. I now have a Radeon 7770 in there, and i could try that too i suppose but i suspect more of the same. Attached are photos of the verbose boot log and the corrupted graphics on the internal (iGPU) display. I can also provide my opencore EFI folder if you'd like.View attachment 550203View attachment 550204
issue with graphics, need to set DVMT to 64 or 128MB in bios

if you have no option in bios, then check over the guide in my signature as those files ha patches for graphics

I did already have it set to 64MB, though i could try 128 as well. I meant to edit that original post with some updates but i guess ill put it here: so far this whole time whenever i boot the laptop with the eGPU connected, be it the R9 290X or the GT710, it would show the BIOS POST screen and all menus on the external monitor, and i could use the attached USB KB and mouse to navigate the settings and boot picker (both opencore and the BIOS picker). This is how I was able to view that kernel panic on my external monitor, but now all of the sudden seemingly no matter what it will only initialize the USB and graphics when Windows or Linux (Pop! OS) is loaded. macOS no longer detects the USB controller or the ethernet from the eGPU, even though the lights on the ethernet jack do light up and start blinking during macOS's boot. I'm not sure what I changed that caused this, though i swear it was working last night, and then wasn't the next morning. Who knows. I'm beginning to think that my Intel JHL6340 thunderbolt controller simply isn't a good match for macOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back