Graphics
Intel HD 3000 | Intel HD 5000 | NVIDIA Geforce GTX 860M 2989 MB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Just wondering if anyone has got an eGPU working for the HP ProBook 4530s laptop? If you do, can you give me a run through on how to get it set up? This is my current status:

My eGPU works fine with Windows 7 and DIY Setup 1.x but I can't seem to get it working on Lion (do I need to boot into DIY Setup 1.x before I boot into Chimera to load Lion?). I booted with GraphicsEnabler=Yes (with and without going through the DIY Setup 1.x), system profiler detects the card but there's no video on the external monitor and the GPU fan spins loud (that's how I know it isn't working).

Thanks!

eGPU for 4530s - Anyone got it working? - SOLVED!

Just wondering if anyone has got an eGPU working for the HP ProBook 4530s laptop? If you do, can you give me a run through on how to get it set up? This is my current status:

My eGPU works fine with Windows 7 and DIY Setup 1.x but I can't seem to get it working on Lion (do I need to boot into DIY Setup 1.x before I boot into Chimera to load Lion?). I booted with GraphicsEnabler=Yes (with and without going through the DIY Setup 1.x), system profiler detects the card but there's no video on the external monitor and the GPU fan spins loud (that's how I know it isn't working).

Thanks!

YAY!!! upgraded to ML and got the eGPU to work! Now I have a fully functional nVIDIA GTX 260 HP ProBook Hackintosh! Lol! See attached screenshots.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-08 at 12.59.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-08 at 12.59.40 AM.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 842
  • Screen Shot 2012-08-08 at 12.59.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-08 at 12.59.53 AM.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 784
eGPU should stay for "External Graphics Processing Unit", so an external video card connected into the laptop (search it on Youtube).

Thanks!

This is a little offtopic, but I want to ask, I heard DIY Setup 1.x can disable PCIe port whitelist on some laptops, have you tried this?

This is a little offtopic, but I want to ask, I heard DIY Setup 1.x can disable PCIe port whitelist on some laptops, have you tried this?

Yea, it supposedly can do that but I've never tried it because my eGPU is an expresscard. Maybe I'll give it a try on one of my wireless cards later :)

Yea, it supposedly can do that but I've never tried it because my eGPU is an expresscard. Maybe I'll give it a try on one of my wireless cards later :)

Dude, if this is working, it will be a way to be used wireless card, other than the whitelisted cards in the ProBook's BIOS.

EDIT and sort of fix:

Turns out ML does not support VGA output. I unplugged my VGA monitor (which is connected to an adapter) and the card now works.

This is really annoying, because one of my screens is VGA only (it's the nicer one incidentally). However, I plugged it into the VGA output on my laptop and all 3 screens now work (which is awesome). Although it would be more convenient to have the two powered by the eGPU to save rewiring things for another OS.

It's strange because when I used this card in my desktop with Leopard, VGA worked just fine. Did they actually decide to remove functionality in later versions?

Lilryu, did you have to do anything special to make this work? I have a similar setup to you (Nvidia GTX 260 as an egpu, but another Nvidia NVS 3100M as the internal rather than Intel).

The internal is working great at the moment, but the GTX is not displaying anything. System profiler lists both cards as detected, but for the GTX it doesn't list the displays it is connected to and the VRAM is shown as 1mb when it should be 896.

On a fresh install of ML.

EDIT and sort of fix:

Turns out ML does not support VGA output. I unplugged my VGA monitor (which is connected to an adapter) and the card now works.

This is really annoying, because one of my screens is VGA only (it's the nicer one incidentally). However, I plugged it into the VGA output on my laptop and all 3 screens now work (which is awesome). Although it would be more convenient to have the two powered by the eGPU to save rewiring things for another OS.

It's strange because when I used this card in my desktop with Leopard, VGA worked just fine. Did they actually decide to remove functionality in later versions?

Lilryu, did you have to do anything special to make this work? I have a similar setup to you (Nvidia GTX 260 as an egpu, but another Nvidia NVS 3100M as the internal rather than Intel).

The internal is working great at the moment, but the GTX is not displaying anything. System profiler lists both cards as detected, but for the GTX it doesn't list the displays it is connected to and the VRAM is shown as 1mb when it should be 896.

On a fresh install of ML.

Try switching to GraphicsEnabler=No. Please post if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back