Contribute
Register

Eglobal S200 Nuc Intel i7 8750H / Mini PC Compatible?

I finally got to the bottom of why QE/CI (Graphics Acceleration) gets disabled after wake from sleep (courtesy of the hackintosh tutorial posted by Vorke V8 on YT)

The issue is that this system is missing IMEI (Intel's Management Interface) And macOS needs it for QE/CI. Why it works in the first place without IMEI is anybody's guess but it is what causes the sleep wake app freezes.

A potential solution seems to be flashing an updated BIOS with Intel ME supported or doing some BIOS hacking to restore the ME region within the BIOS. [Since chances of bricking the whole system is very high here, I'm going to do a LOT of additional research before even attempting anything like this]

Just thought I'd post here if it would be helpful for anybody else wondering the same thing!

So much for trying to let it go and not use sleep wake haha :)

I finally got to the bottom of why QE/CI (Graphics Acceleration) gets disabled after wake from sleep (courtesy of the hackintosh tutorial posted by Vorke V8 on YT)

The issue is that this system is missing IMEI (Intel's Management Interface) And macOS needs it for QE/CI. Why it works in the first place without IMEI is anybody's guess but it is what causes the sleep wake app freezes.

A potential solution seems to be flashing an updated BIOS with Intel ME supported or doing some BIOS hacking to restore the ME region within the BIOS. [Since chances of bricking the whole system is very high here, I'm going to do a LOT of additional research before even attempting anything like this]

Just thought I'd post here if it would be helpful for anybody else wondering the same thing!

So much for trying to let it go and not use sleep wake haha :)
Thanks for sharing. A lot of systems face this, but I am not going to do much hacking with the bios. Too scary for me.

if you read the whatevergreen readme:https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.IntelHD.en.md
It is possible to fake the IMEI. This is not in my config yet, so something to check is maybe worth it!

Last edited:
Seems that Chris at ChinaMobileMag was right with the IMEI thing... I tested the sleep on my current machine which has a vaild IMEI device and gpu hardware acceleration works after sleep / wake which never worked on my S200...
Playing with the bios without a bios programmer is not a wise thing :) Im sure at bios-mods.com some guru can help you fixing the broken ME region in the S200 bios.

Hi Guys,

Tested performance with Geekbench didn't gave me a different result for 10.15.4 as this is similar to 10.15.3 results.

I have undervolted my machine, the update to 10.15.4 put off my undervolt but after setting it up again the result is similar.

Schermafbeelding 2020-04-03 om 15.05.18.png

Hi guys,

want to wrote down my experience with S200 so far. I'm on latest macos 10.15.4 with Clover 5107. Since catalina i have problems after wake with freezing desktop after about 10 sec. Then i found a solution for this, ad "No-hda-gfx" to device properties, because my montior has no hdmi-audio.
I would explain my setup:

S200 DP out -> DP to HDMI cable -> HDMI to DVI adapter -> DELL E2210 display
S200 HDMI out -> HDMI to DVI adapter -> DVI cable -> Panasonic PT-FW300NT projector

I know this is some dirty setup but i have no better hardware here, and certainly not 2 monitors.
Both video outputs work. After the pc goes to sleep and wake, hdmi output stays offline. When i put the pc a second time to sleep and wake from, the hdmi work as normal. Chrome hardware acceleration and audio work also after sleep.
I think it is some additional configuration for device properties igpu required or is this a fault of missing intel me.

Best regards

[Edit] Serials, UUID's, MAC, in my config.plist i share are randomly generated.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-05 um 17.25.24.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-05 um 17.25.24.png
    144.2 KB · Views: 90
  • CLOVER_H0merSimps0n.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 60
  • s200.png
    s200.png
    12.5 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Hi guys,

want to wrote down my experience with S200 so far. I'm on latest macos 10.15.4 with Clover 5107. Since catalina i have problems after wake with freezing desktop after about 10 sec. Then i found a solution for this, ad "No-hda-gfx" to device properties, because my montior has no hdmi-audio.

S200 HDMI out -> HDMI to DVI adapter -> DVI cable -> Panasonic PT-FW300NT projector

I know this is some dirty setup but i have no better hardware here, and certainly not 2 monitors.
Both video outputs work. After the pc goes to sleep and wake, hdmi output stays offline. When i put the pc a second time to sleep and wake from, the hdmi work as normal. Chrome hardware acceleration and audio work also after sleep.
I think it is some additional configuration for device properties igpu required or is this a fault of missing intel me.

Best regards
Hi HomerSimpson,

Thanks for sharing. I did check your EFI folder and Config file (btw please clean your serial nr in the config.plist when sharing, not only in the system pic;)), and looks you have a lot more framebuffer patches which might also explain the difference in sleep/wake behavior. I do have a monitor with speakers inside, when framebuffer patched correctly it works out of the box. But i'll try if no-hda-gfx and see if that helps. Maybe afterall the conclusion might be that clover is better for sleep/wake than Opencore?! let's see and find out :)

I anticipate however that it also might have to do with using hdmi vs dp...I use HDMI and face the black screen problem after sleep, But I believe people using DP don't have that same issue (like you?). I didn't check whether DP is causing that problem, but thanks to your clover config I can add a framebuffer patch in my Opencore config and find out ;)

Last edited:
Hi Amateur85,

i changed the serials, uuid, mac randomly before i upload the config.plist, no worry. For the framebuffer config i used the one from the VorkeV8 guide at hackintosh-forum(.)de.

The DP works with this config every time when wakes from sleep, problem is the HDMI which works every 2nd wake from sleep (crazy). Btw. if i boot up the S200 in verbose with both video outputs connected, the DP goes black about 10 seconds before logon-screens appears and display goes to sleep, wakes with logon-screen. The HDMI shows all verbose-text and apple logo till logon-screen. Same reaction when i boot without HDMI device switched on, then when turn on HDMI-Projector after logon, the DP-Display goes black for about 4 seconds without sleep.

Best regards

Did anyone tried upgrading Whatevergreen to version 1.3.8? This seems to take care of the HDMI black screen issue. I tried it on a USB EFI which is a copy of the current one with WEG 1.3.8 instead of 1.3.7, but doesn't boot. IGPU problem, which looks like a framebuffer issue. I will try a bit later, but if someone succeeded I am really interested.

Seems that Chris at ChinaMobileMag was right with the IMEI thing... I tested the sleep on my current machine which has a vaild IMEI device and gpu hardware acceleration works after sleep / wake which never worked on my S200...
Playing with the bios without a bios programmer is not a wise thing :) Im sure at bios-mods.com some guru can help you fixing the broken ME region in the S200 bios.

Yes sir! I have a CH341A SPI Programmer that I've used in the past to unbrick bad BIOS updates but it's still a pain - so always best to take precautions. I'll take a crack at it in the next few weeks.

Thanks for sharing. A lot of systems face this, but I am not going to do much hacking with the bios. Too scary for me.

if you read the whatevergreen readme:https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.IntelHD.en.md
It is possible to fake the IMEI. This is not in my config yet, so something to check is maybe worth it!

Thanks - this would work if you already had an IMEI PCI device but wanted to fake the ID. It won't insert an IMEI device if it doesn't exist so won't help in our case :(

Hi guys,

Best regards

[Edit] Serials, UUID's, MAC, in my config.plist i share are randomly generated.

@H0merSimps0n Very interesting you got Chrome hardware acceleration working. Like I asked Shumb0la before, was Chrome already running before the machine went to sleep? Also, did the machine go in standby mode i.e. fans stopped before it resumed from sleep? That's when hw acceleration stops working atleast in my case. Either way, thanks for testing and looking forward to hear your results!

Did anyone tried upgrading Whatevergreen to version 1.3.8? This seems to take care of the HDMI black screen issue. I tried it on a USB EFI which is a copy of the current one with WEG 1.3.8 instead of 1.3.7, but doesn't boot. IGPU problem, which looks like a framebuffer issue. I will try a bit later, but if someone succeeded I am really interested.

I'm on the latest versions on WEG, Lilu, AppleALC and the Broadcom kexts => Updated yesterday. I haven't had any issues BUT I'm also still on 10.15.3 so my results might be different. I'm using your OC EFI as the base but I think like @H0merSimps0n I applied Vorke V8's FB patch (will have to confirm).

FYI,

Did Supplemental Update, all went ok, though I've had to choose the correct disk at Clover boot menu. Not only this time but every time I do update I've to choose the disk. ;)

P.S. Clover 5107, AppleALC 1.4.7, Lilu 1.4.2, WG 1.3.7

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 06.19.08.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 06.19.08.png
    257 KB · Views: 37
Back