Contribute
Register

EFIClone - automatic backup of the EFI partition

Does not work for me.. for some reason it copies my source root to the EFI partition.

the log is 260mb long, so i can't post it in here..
Here's a small portion of it.. Also only one EFI drive seems to mount.

I run a full clone on an empty (freshly formatted) drive, with the safetynet (ccc setting) thing turned off.

Code:
[Sat May 25 14:41:55 EDT 2019] - ***** EFI Clone Script start
[Sat May 25 14:41:55 EDT 2019] - working directory = /
[Sat May 25 14:41:55 EDT 2019] - Running /Users/rick/Downloads/EFIClone-master/EFIClone.sh
[Sat May 25 14:41:55 EDT 2019] - Called From Carbon Copy Cloner
[Sat May 25 14:41:55 EDT 2019] - 1: Source Path = /private/tmp/16777226@190525143556
[Sat May 25 14:41:55 EDT 2019] - 2: Destination Path = /Volumes/macOSm2
[Sat May 25 14:41:55 EDT 2019] - 3: CCC Exit Status = 0
[Sat May 25 14:41:55 EDT 2019] - 4: Disk image file path =
[Sat May 25 14:41:55 EDT 2019] - CCC completed with success, the EFI Clone Script will run
[Sat May 25 14:41:55 EDT 2019] - CCC clone was not to a disk image. the EFI Clone Script will run
[Sat May 25 14:41:55 EDT 2019] - sourceVolume = /private/tmp/16777226@190525143556
[Sat May 25 14:41:55 EDT 2019] - sourceVolumeDisk =
[Sat May 25 14:41:55 EDT 2019] - destinationVolume = /Volumes/macOSm2
[Sat May 25 14:41:55 EDT 2019] - destinationVolumeDisk = disk0
[Sat May 25 14:41:55 EDT 2019] - sourceEFIPartition = disk0s1 disk1s1
[Sat May 25 14:41:55 EDT 2019] - destinationEFIPartition = disk0s1
[Sat May 25 14:41:55 EDT 2019] - efiBootPartitionUUID =
[Sat May 25 14:41:55 EDT 2019] - efiBootPartitionDisk =
[Sat May 25 14:41:56 EDT 2019] - drives Mounted
[Sat May 25 14:41:56 EDT 2019] - sourceEFIMountPoint =
[Sat May 25 14:41:56 EDT 2019] - destinationEFIMountPoint = /Volumes/EFI
[Sat May 25 14:41:56 EDT 2019] - ********* Test simulation - file delete/copy would happen here.
[Sat May 25 14:41:56 EDT 2019] - rsync command will be executed with the --dry-run option
[Sat May 25 14:41:56 EDT 2019] - rsync command calculated is...
[Sat May 25 14:41:56 EDT 2019] - rsync -av --exclude='.*'' / /Volumes/EFI/
[Sat May 25 14:41:56 EDT 2019] - THE BELOW OUTPUT IS FROM AN RSYNC DRY RUN! NO DATA HAS BEEN MODIFIED!
building file list ... done
IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion
./
EFIClone.log
EFIClone2.log
etc -> private/etc
installer.failurerequests
tmp -> private/tmp
var -> private/var
Applications/
the list is the entire drive.. about 100s of thousands of lines or more...
Buy Acronis True Image. It works.

There is now a V2 of this script and a pictorial guide by CaseySJ. Have a look.
Click on the Spoiler to see the full step by step guide.

Hi wombat94,

Relative newb to hackintosh, but this script seemed to me like a perfect solution for keeping my hackintosh up and running as much as possible.

So just downloaded a trial of superduper, backed up my nvme ssd to an external usb3 ssd (worked fine), but then it halts with an error "Failed to run shell script EFIClone.sh"

I have no idea what I could've done wrong. Log details show:
Error | bash: /Users/user/Desktop/EFIClone.sh: Permission denied

I saved the "raw" eficlone.sh from your github site as a file to my desktop. Not sure if that's got anything to do with it? Would love to hear your ideas and get this up and running :)

Edit: just saw trs96's latest post here, that seems like it might be relevant 'cause I based my hackintosh on that exact build guide. Will try the v2 and let you know how it goes.

Edit2: still no luck? -->
| 06:26:04 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Invoking After Copy shell script: /Users/user/Desktop/EFIClone-v2.sh
| 06:26:04 PM | Error | bash: /Users/user/Desktop/EFIClone-v2.sh: Permission denied
| 06:26:06 PM | Error | ****FAILED****: result=32256 errno=60 (No such process)

Last edited:
Hi wombat94,

Relative newb to hackintosh, but this script seemed to me like a perfect solution for keeping my hackintosh up and running as much as possible.

So just downloaded a trial of superduper, backed up my nvme ssd to an external usb3 ssd (worked fine), but then it halts with an error "Failed to run shell script EFIClone.sh"

I have no idea what I could've done wrong. Log details show:
Error | bash: /Users/user/Desktop/EFIClone.sh: Permission denied

I saved the "raw" eficlone.sh from your github site as a file to my desktop. Not sure if that's got anything to do with it? Would love to hear your ideas and get this up and running :)

Edit: just saw trs96's latest post here, that seems like it might be relevant 'cause I based my hackintosh on that exact build guide. Will try the v2 and let you know how it goes.

Edit2: still no luck? -->
| 06:26:04 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Invoking After Copy shell script: /Users/user/Desktop/EFIClone-v2.sh
| 06:26:04 PM | Error | bash: /Users/user/Desktop/EFIClone-v2.sh: Permission denied
| 06:26:06 PM | Error | ****FAILED****: result=32256 errno=60 (No such process)
If you follow the guide in the spoiler (link below) you'll see that the script cannot be run from your "/Users/user/Desktop" folder. You must copy it into the CCC "scripts" folder and subsequently "secure" that folder. All of the details are provided in the spoiler.

If you follow the guide in the spoiler (link below) you'll see that the script cannot be run from your "/Users/user/Desktop" folder. You must copy it into the CCC "scripts" folder and subsequently "secure" that folder. All of the details are provided in the spoiler.
Great, thanks for your super quick reply. Will first try and see if there's some sort of similar superduper folder I can find. If not will try ccc instead. Thanks!

Great, thanks for your super quick reply. Will first try and see if there's some sort of similar superduper folder I can find. If not will try ccc instead. Thanks!
Maybe I replied too hastily!

The "permission denied" error is probably due to lack of "file-execute" permission on the script. You might try this in Terminal:
Code:
cd /Users/user/Desktop
chmod +x EFIClone-v2.sh

Please note, however, that EFIClone-v2.sh does not use the SourcePath parameter passed in by either SuperDuper or CCC. Because CCC creates a temporary mount point for the source disk (such as /private/tmp/16777226@190525143556), it means that diskutil commands used by EFIClone to probe and mount the source disk do not work. So by hard-coding the SourcePath to "/" (root) we bypass this problem, but that means SourcePath will always be the current startup disk.

So EFIClone-v2.sh is not a general-purpose script. It can be used only in cases where your SourcePath happens to be the startup disk. The standard EFIClone.sh script does not hard-code the SourcePath.

So if you're using SuperDuper, please try the standard EFIClone.sh first. If it fails, try the EFIClone-v2 (again, if SourcePath is current startup disk).

Maybe I replied too hastily!

The "permission denied" error is probably due to lack of "file-execute" permission on the script. You might try this in Terminal:
Code:
cd /Users/user/Desktop
chmod +x EFIClone-v2.sh

Please note, however, that EFIClone-v2.sh does not use the SourcePath parameter passed in by either SuperDuper or CCC. Because CCC creates a temporary mount point for the source disk (such as /private/tmp/16777226@190525143556), it means that diskutil commands used by EFIClone to probe and mount the source disk do not work. So by hard-coding the SourcePath to "/" (root) we bypass this problem, but that means SourcePath will always be the current startup disk.

So EFIClone-v2.sh is not a general-purpose script. It can be used only in cases where your SourcePath happens to be the startup disk. The standard EFIClone.sh script does not hard-code the SourcePath.

So if you're using SuperDuper, please try the standard EFIClone.sh first. If it fails, try the EFIClone-v2 (again, if SourcePath is current startup disk).
Great, seems like it worked using this topics default .sh!
No additionally bootable drive available through bios yet though. Will check if the efi partition is actually present.

Great, seems like it worked using this topics default .sh!
No additionally bootable drive available through bios yet though. Will check if the efi partition is actually present.
Ok, so my external usb3 ssd appears to have an EFI partition (or well, clover configurator is seeing/willing-to-mount an efi partition at my external ssd). It's completely empty though. Will try to run superduper once again, and then ccc.

Edit: Read the manual... didn't edit the test_mode yet so guess that'll help :)

Last edited:
Ok, so my external usb3 ssd appears to have an EFI partition (or well, clover configurator is seeing/willing-to-mount an efi partition at my external ssd). It's completely empty though. Will try to run superduper once again, and then ccc.

Edit: Read the manual... didn't edit the test_mode yet so guess that'll help :)

So, no succes yet with superduper, but everything seemed ok using ccc and @CaseySJ 's mini guide. Microsoft folder inside my efi folder messed up the booting though (despite my nvme booting fine with the microsoft folder present), but just deleted that folder and will see how it goes. Guess ccc is my way to go.

Thanks for the script and assistance :)

Hi folks... long time no see here.

Unfortunately in May 2018 we had a house fire and I was away from the Hackintosh scene for over a year while we rebuilt the house and moved back home.

Finally in the last week or two I have been able to get back to my Hackintosh hobby and last night rebuilt my HP 8300 Elite with Mojave (Sniki's method).

This morning I decided to go back and start getting my EFI backup routine in place and logged on to check this old thread.

Sorry for any problems that might have been attributed to the script. I'm going to experiment with it and see if I can get it going under current state-of-the-art.

I'll also check out the newer references to Acronis and the updated script that trs96 posted to see if things have progressed to the point where this is no longer necessary.

Ted

Back