I5-6600K
Graphics
GTX 1070, HD 530
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I have / had a nearly fully functional dual boot system with OS X and Win10. After everything was more or less up and running (in UEFI mode, using clover as the bootloader and allowing me to select which OS to boot) I discovered there was a BiOS update available for my motherboard. I did this via the Asus ez update utility and it all worked fine.

However, in addition to resetting many of the BIoS settings (changing the graphics card output was a nice starter for 10!) it appears to have lost the EFI entry for my SSD.

I can still boot both systems if I boot via a Clover USB, so no issues with the systems themselves and I'd really like to avoid reinstalling everything. The EFI partition on the SDD also seems to still be there and I can mount it as usual if needed.

Does anyone know how I can get the BIOS to recognise this EFI partition? Is there perhaps some kind of repair option within Clover? Or can I somehow point the bios to it manually?

So I couldn't find any repair options within clover, so I reinstalled both OSs, and... OSX EFI partition still can't be seen by the bios! All that shows up in the Bios is Windows Bootloader (which works to boot to windows). I could still boot to OSX via the USB and also select windows too. THe EFI partition is definitely still there, as it can be mounted.

So after spending a few hours tweaking bios settings and pulling my hair out, I reset the clover boot options from the USB installer, then reloaded them. This then showed up a 'clover legacy' boot option in my bios. This now works! I can boot to OSX and windows now without a USB.

What's confusing me though is hat I've installed Clover in UEFI mode, and yet the boot option mentions legacy. Has resetting the options somehow reverted the install to legacy mode? If so, how? And is this a problem? Or is the boot reference just a name and it still loads in uefi mode? Everything seems to work as it used to, but I'm concerned that it will all fall flat in the future. Is there a way to tell from the config.plist file on the EFI partition which mode its loading in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back