Contribute
Register

EFI Agent v1.3.2 (menu bar utility)

Didn't read all the posts so apologies if it has been suggested already but an option to hide the partition scheme would be nice since I personally only care about the EFI volumes and since it already highlights the booted one, I don't need to see everything else every time.

Cool app either way, making my troubleshooting quicker!

edit: fixed it, was my mistake.

Last edited:
This is pretty nice. Thanks! I think sometimes applications [ab]use the OS notifications, but in this case the '<partition> mounted' notification is ideal, especially for a menubar app like this where you expect something to happen after the window goes away.

Is there a GitHub or other repo available for code contributions?

A couple of trivial issues I noticed (v1.1.9)
- The application icon seems to be white, which on a white Finder background (Light desktop mode?) makes it invisible.
- The menubar menu About MountEFI seems to have no effect - the "application window"(?) just closes

It would be nice if the current boot device were somehow highlighted/indicated, maybe something even as simple as a slightly different icon.

It would be nice if the current boot device were somehow highlighted/indicated, maybe something even as simple as a slightly different icon.

@rjhornsby,

MountEFI (and Hackingtooll) should in most cases indicate the EFI boot partition with a green highlight as can be seen in the image attached to post #54.

However it does not always work .... in my case it works fine on my laptop which boots from the EFI partition that is on the MacOS system drive, but on my desktop system which boots from a EFI partition on a SATA SSD drive and the MacOS system drive is a NVMe it does not work ...

@headkaze recently changed the way MountEFI detects the boot drive which has improved compatibility on some devices but in non standard configurations it still has problems. I think this is more an issue with MacOS rather than MountEFI ... in that MacOS expects the Boot drive to be the same as the system drive.

Cheers
Jay

Just out of curiosity, somewhat related to this thread, but slight offtopic:

Is it normal for disks to change their name (disk0s1 becomes disk1s1 etc) upon reboot?

MountEFI (and Hackingtooll) should in most cases indicate the EFI boot partition with a green highlight as can be seen in the image attached to post #54.

However it does not always work .... in my case it works fine on my laptop which boots from the EFI partition that is on the MacOS system drive, but on my desktop system which boots from a EFI partition on a SATA SSD drive and the MacOS system drive is a NVMe it does not work ...

Ah, my default EFI partition and OS are on an NVMe, so that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Ah, my default EFI partition and OS are on an NVMe, so that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

The EFI partition of NVMe drives can be detected fine. It works perfectly on my Samsung 970 EVO.

I think what Jay is saying is that it may not work if your EFI partition is on a separate drive than your macOS system drive.

- The menubar menu About MountEFI seems to have no effect - the "application window"(?) just closes

I was able to make the About... window appear just now, but it was behind other desktop windows and I came across it accidentally. It's possible this is what happened before and I just never happened to get down far enough in the stack to see it.

- The application icon seems to be white, which on a white Finder background (Light desktop mode?) makes it invisible.

Yeah I will update the application icon at some point.. Try the latest version.

As you've discovered the about window is just opening behind other windows. I'm not sure why it does this (the functionality is generated by Xcode).

Attachments

• Icon-512.png
    Icon-512.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, somewhat related to this thread, but slight offtopic: Is it normal for disks to change their name (disk0s1 becomes disk1s1 etc) upon reboot?

@yiannisp,

I think so ... i see that behaviour on my desktop hack which has a lot of drives in it ... have never been able to find an explanation for it ... my best guess is it might be related to if you boot your EFI partition on a drive that is not the system drive ... in the case of my desktop I boot Clover from an EFI partition on a SATA SSD which then boots MacOS from a NVMe SSD as the motherboard BIOS does not support UEFI booting from NVMe drives ....

Or it might be related to multiboot ... like booting Windows then rebooting into MacOS ...

If someone knows the real cause i'd be interested to know ...

Whatever the cause it does not seem to effect MacOS other than changing the BSD drive names.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Back