Contribute
Register

eelmod: G4 Cube w/ Videos worklog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: My Next eelmod: G4 Cube

Judah said:
Eel, it has been about two weeks since I last told you I hated you. So in the spirit of Christmas, I just wanted to send you a special message: STOP MODDING SO WELL.

K thanks :)
lol I hope your Christmas was well :D
I am almost done with all my projects.

minihack said:
Judah,
Don't try and keep up - it's pointless. No-one can match Eels output rate. I'm going to go away and hide under the duvet for a few days.

Have a good break everyone and I confidently expect to see Eel having finished at least three more mod.s before the new year.

:wave:

lol Well I got the main one almost set, if I didnt get the wrong Pico It would of been done by now and the other 3 Cubes set up as the first one.

All I have left then is a G5 mod for my old GA-X58A-UD3R mobo. Since they are doing away with the 1366 chip set for the 2011 I know I wont get poop for my GA board so I thought why not another G5 mod :D

I hope your Christmas was well as well :D

Gus said:
Very nice job! Looks absolutely fantastic. Can't wait to see it complete and get a measure of temps inside there. Just super ellheads, you've definitely done it again!

Thanks Gus :D Yeah so much for me getting that rear IO plate cut out to fit. I did that without having the mobo so after I got it I found out the the motherboard is off centered so the IO plate doesnt match up. If I am to use it now though I have to cut the one side all off and it will leave a big gap on the other side. Though I really dont mind the plated out as that is the bottom, plus with it open like that will help with air flow.

I hope your Christmas was well :D

Looks good Eel, hope you stopped for a few hours on Christmas day. :)

How are you getting the cool air in and the hot air out of there? I guess the only real heat generating component is the CPU but it looks pretty tight for airflow once it's inside a metal case inside a perspex cube.

Any chance of putting the pico between the hard drive and DVD ? With a little surgery to the drive carriage the extender will fit . Then maybe snake the power input cable to exit the frame to the right of the sound ports.

minihack said:
Looks good Eel, hope you stopped for a few hours on Christmas day. :)

How are you getting the cool air in and the hot air out of there? I guess the only real heat generating component is the CPU but it looks pretty tight for airflow once it's inside a metal case inside a perspex cube.
Yeah I have been taking off here and there for some Star Wars The Old Republic play time lol.

Well If I leave the bottom open like it id with no IO plate and with the slot on the top it should be good to go with air flow. I know it is tight so as soon as I get the right Pico I will be able to run some temp tests.

DonutHands said:
No chance of inverting that logic board is there?
I looked at inverting it but I would need smaller standoffs and a better mobo tray set up. I do have a nice sheet of Aluminum I got and I might play with it a tad more. The one thing with inverting it is If I did that and flipped the Aluminum heat sink like I wanted too first I might get even more air flow.

dddirtman said:
nice build...
I'm with u though waiting to build a 2011 g5.... :thumb up:
hope your xmas went well for u and family...
happy new year to u...

Christmas was good and I hope the New Year better lol
I hope it was good for you and your family as well.
And Yeah I'll run the X58 set ups I have for a while then I will skip SB and get onto the 2011 chipsets :D

As for the who build project.
You guys have to keep in mind that there are 4 Cube mods going on at once. I need to get the first one done just right and easy to assemble for the 3 that go out to the other guys. I am setting it up for them to add in the Hardware with all the modding done. It has taken me way longer then I originally thought lol I have had to rethink the original IO set up as the plate is not square with the mobo tray like I thought, the mobo tray I had originally set up for the three was not as good a material to use as I though.

The biggest thing is the damn Pico. I got the wrong one and put in for a replacement, that was Monday, I havent heard anything. Called 4 times left two messages and several emails though Amazon to them about a swap and now just a plan return. I got a 120w one by mistake and need the 160w one. I'd use the 120 for the set up but it is only a 20 pin PSU with no 4 pin CPU power plug. SO now I wait lol.
I did find that the back of the DVD-ROM drives are the 50 pin laptop plugs for their drives. So I picked up a 50pin to Sata so I can use the original slot drive until I can save up for a Slot load Sony Blu-ray player. Also got a 120GB SSD for cheap that will go in :D

Well that was a quick update, I have a couple more vids but I want to get the mobo figured out before I post more vids, shoot maybe even an eelhead blooper reel lmao

Make me jealous..... tell me the handle mechanism latches and releases.

61mg73 said:
Make me jealous..... tell me the handle mechanism latches and releases.
Yes it does, I had to trim the mobo tray I made at those points but it works fine.

Re: My Next eelmod: G4 Cube w/ Videos

More awesomeness :D
Oh and with landscape mode lmao!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: My Next eelmod: G4 Cube w/ Videos

eelhead said:
More awesomeness :D
Oh and with landscape mode lmao!!

Woooowww!
How many cubes do you have? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status