Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Re: My Next eelmod: G4 Cube w/ Videos

Not yet, got the pico but the brick is back ordered lol
So I will finish up the other ones and button mine up and then wait.

As soon as I get the brick I will post with it all and specs and temps all checked out.

eelhead

Super Moderator
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-Designare
CPU
i5 7600k
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS

HALPS!!!
OKs so I still lack the PICO power brick so I am using a regular PSU to do this for now

So I followed minihacks guide to getting my touch sensor to work.

I did the resistor off the LED to the #2 on the plug - from that I put it to LED+

#1 goes to 5v constant

#4 I put to PWR+
#5 I put to PWR-

so thing is when the board is not running LED is on and as soon as I touch the sensor it turns on the board but the LED goes out ?? :confused:

So any Ideas? I swapped the PWR ones around, I put the #2 on to the LED- instead of +

Also I have the back plate the that touch sensor is on grounded with it to the groung on a 4 pin molex off the PSU for testing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Motherboard
Zotac Z77-ITX
CPU
i5-2500K
Graphics
HD 3000 + GTX 660
Mac
MacBook Air
Classic Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
Other

eelhead said:
HALPS!!!
OKs so I still lack the PICO power brick so I am using a regular PSU to do this for now

So I followed minihacks guide to getting my touch sensor to work.

I did the resistor off the LED to the #2 on the plug - from that I put it to LED+

#1 goes to 5v constant

#4 I put to PWR+
#5 I put to PWR-

so thing is when the board is not running LED is on and as soon as I touch the sensor it turns on the board but the LED goes out ?? :confused:

So any Ideas? I swapped the PWR ones around, I put the #2 on to the LED- instead of +

Also I have the back plate the that touch sensor is on grounded with it to the groung on a 4 pin molex off the PSU for testing.

Hi Eelhead. Sounds to me as if the connection to the LED is wrong. The point of the resistor modification is to force the LED to behave correctly in the absence of the "real" Cube signals. So there must be something wrong with that connection somewhere.

There are only a few variables to look at:
Did you connect to the right pin of the PSU/ Is the connection still good at the lead going to the 5 pin cube connector/ is the connection still good at the LED. I suggest the following troubleshoot:

A. Make sure the wire is connected properly to the light green wire of the PICO (pin 16, PS_On signal) by doing the following:

1. Disconnect the wire from the leg of the LED, but keeping the multi lead connector for the cube switch attached

2. With the power disconnected from the cube (i.e. mains lead completely disconnected) check that the signal you get at the end of the wire before the resistor (probably hidden under heatshrink) is NOT at zero resistance to ground. It needs to be "floating" which will give a theoretically infinite resistance reading in that state.

2. Switch the meter to volts and now check that with the unit plugged into the mains but not switched on that you see the floating voltage value and that then when you turn the Cube on with the touch switch it goes to zero volts.

3. If 1 or 2 don't display the expected behaviours then you may have connected to the wrong pin of the PICO or the connection may not be good.

4. Assuming there is a problem still at stage 3 then double check you're at the right pin of the PICO. If you are sure you are using the correct pin from the PICO then try making the connection without wiring into the cube connector lead. In other words, remove your resistor connection from pin 2 and instead go straight to the flying lead from your PICO - if that cures the issue then possible shorting out at the connector might have happened (maybe a solder bridge) or perhaps some cubes actually had pin 2 of the connector actually connected to something and so yours needs a direct connection (doubt it - more likely a wiring error).

Good luck!! It WILL work. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:

eelhead

Super Moderator
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-Designare
CPU
i5 7600k
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks a lot,
I will check after work and report back lol
what is cool is at least I got the button to work just not to sat lit is all.

BoomR

Motherboard
Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Apple, Performa, Power Mac, Quadra
Mobile Phone
Android
WOW!! What a great thread!! Got some good ideas already for my Cube build!!

Just curious-with your Gigabyte board, are you finding a problem with the outside DIMM slot encroaching on the touch sensor power switch?? While I'd love to use that board, I fear the interference with the sensor...and like you, I want it to be fully functional :)

I'm looking at one of the new ASRock IB boards that TonyMac says should be compatible (H77M-ITX http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=H77M-ITX ) Looks like there's an extra mm or 2 of leeway by the outside DIMM slot...

You Rock!! :headbang:

eelhead

Super Moderator
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-Designare
CPU
i5 7600k
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Yeah it is a tight fit with the Gigabyte board, I had to bend the LED leads and then trim the washer inside the case in order for it to fit and then just barely.

That asrock and then there is also an asus board, I would try to use as the memory, like you said, are positioned a tad in leaving nice bit of room.

Of course I have done some slight designs to what I originally had going on. The crappy part is I fried the touch sensor doing all the other testing for the other cubes I sent out :( . I did try to figure out another sensor solution but two sensors I bought for this application did not work.

BoomR

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
eelhead said:
That asrock and then there is also an asus board, I would try to use as the memory, like you said, are positioned a tad in leaving nice bit of room.
Hmmm....every ASUS board I looked at either a) had the memory slots in a similar position as the GA board, or b) had the memory slots much more towards the middle of the board BUT had the ATX power connection between the outside memory slot & edge of the board....basically leaving me with the same issue of **something** being a bit too close to the touch sensor mechanics.

Well, the ASRock board is now officially on order & arrives Thursday - in the meantime, I've got to try & revisit your build to see how to mount the board securely in the same space where the original mobo lived :)

BoomR

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
eelhead said:
This one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... _-13131840

the power plug might come close but there can always be a work around for that unlike the memory sticks
I was definitely looking at that one for sure - but alas, the proximity of the power connector sort of scared me away - I thought with the ASRock board, there was nothing in the way to worry about :)

Where's my sense of challenge, eh? LOL :banghead:

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac