HD 7950
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I've been through a lot trying to install Mac OS Snow Leopard on my little eeepc 701 (specs below). I know someone might say not to bother, it can't be done, but really my goal at this point is to simply get it to boot.

At one point I got it to reach a Boot1 error when I installed Clover to the EFI partition, so I tried installing it to the main partition and now I get an endless reboot cycle.

There is no CD drive, so the iBoot method mentioned here doesn't seem to work (there is no internal DVD drive and an external one doesn't load the iBoot discs I burned with my real Mac). USB booting is working to install linux so I know it works, but that's not what I want to do (just to make sure the BIOS was set correctly). I was able to install Clover to a USB drive, and the computer reboots immediately where it should load Clover.

I know clover can be used to boot the Snow Leopard install USB I made from my retail disk, so I am trying to install the Clover directly onto the install USB.

There are the specs (don't laugh, this is a good challenge!).

ASUS EeePC 701
900mhz Celeron M
2GB RAM
4GB hard disk (apparently the eeepc sees SD cards as hard disks, so I put a 64GB card in there for when I eventually reach the installer)
The BIOS is very simple, so probably there is something I need to do with my Clover install.

Thank you kindly for helping me with this.

Does not require Buying Advice - Moved to Laptop Support.

Hi all,

I've been through a lot trying to install Mac OS Snow Leopard on my little eeepc 701 (specs below). I know someone might say not to bother, it can't be done, but really my goal at this point is to simply get it to boot.

At one point I got it to reach a Boot1 error when I installed Clover to the EFI partition, so I tried installing it to the main partition and now I get an endless reboot cycle.

There is no CD drive, so the iBoot method mentioned here doesn't seem to work (there is no internal DVD drive and an external one doesn't load the iBoot discs I burned with my real Mac). USB booting is working to install linux so I know it works, but that's not what I want to do (just to make sure the BIOS was set correctly). I was able to install Clover to a USB drive, and the computer reboots immediately where it should load Clover.

I know clover can be used to boot the Snow Leopard install USB I made from my retail disk, so I am trying to install the Clover directly onto the install USB.

There are the specs (don't laugh, this is a good challenge!).

ASUS EeePC 701
900mhz Celeron M
2GB RAM
4GB hard disk (apparently the eeepc sees SD cards as hard disks, so I put a 64GB card in there for when I eventually reach the installer)
The BIOS is very simple, so probably there is something I need to do with my Clover install.

Thank you kindly for helping me with this.

Your Celeron G530 does not have HD630.
The graphics on your Sandy Bridge Celeron are not supported.

Thanks RehabMan. I've seen the Intel version of Tiger running on these old machines, so I thought I would have a go anyway with SL. Thanks for letting me know. I have a Tiger install disc here somewhere also I can try. If that doesn't work either I might be able to get it running without acceleration.

However, my actual question is whether I can get Clover to load to even begin messing around.

To be clear, do I need full graphics support for Clover? I would still like to try to get Clover to load.

Thanks again, and thanks to P1lgrim for moving the thread which I posted in the wrong section.

Thanks RehabMan. I've seen the Intel version of Tiger running on these old machines, so I thought I would have a go anyway with SL. Thanks for letting me know. I have a Tiger install disc here somewhere also I can try. If that doesn't work either I might be able to get it running without acceleration.

However, my actual question is whether I can get Clover to load to even begin messing around.

To be clear, do I need full graphics support for Clover? I would still like to try to get Clover to load.

Thanks again, and thanks to P1lgrim for moving the thread which I posted in the wrong section.

As per rules (you already agreed), Tiger is not supported here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/rules/

I don't see the point of Clover, given that macOS/OS X does not support your hardware. Seems like a waste of energy.

Seems like a waste of energy.

Well that could be said of any person here. If you don't want to spend money on a Mac, you spend time making one, right?

Anyway since my actual question is about Clover, not Tiger, I think this thread is fine. Of course, you're the boss.

These little netbooks are pretty close to useless, so this was simply a challenge. Nothing more. I hereby agree not to mention the words "Tiger," "Evidence-based" or any other terms I have agreed not to use for the rest of my stay here at tonymac, lol.

I would still be interested in my original question, but I don't expect anyone to waste time on it. Looks like I'm on my own.

Well that could be said of any person here. If you don't want to spend money on a Mac, you spend time making one, right?

Anyway since my actual question is about Clover, not Tiger, I think this thread is fine. Of course, you're the boss.

These little netbooks are pretty close to useless, so this was simply a challenge. Nothing more. I hereby agree not to mention the words "Tiger," "Evidence-based" or any other terms I have agreed not to use for the rest of my stay here at tonymac, lol.

I would still be interested in my original question, but I don't expect anyone to waste time on it. Looks like I'm on my own.

Read here for Clover legacy install instructions:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back