HD3000
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Now that I finally have a mac os running on my pc following Tony's step-by-step instructions. I'd like to get a better understanding on how this whole thing works together.
1. Kexts are drivers found in Sys/Lib/Ext but I also found Kexts in the Extra folder. Are those needed in order for my pc to work? Why not put in the same folder in Sys/Lib/Ext?
2. I have the same graphics card as Tony which is 9400gt. Where's the driver? I see NVDANV40Hal.kext, NVDANV50Hal.kext, NVDAResman.kext, GeForce.kext and a couple of files starting with GeForceXXXXX.bundle in the extension folder.
3. What's the "Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext" for? Is this a joke ;)
4. Upon booting, I see a couple of error messages about sound assertion error on AppleHDA. Do I need to worry about it? My sound is working fine. I have LegacyHDA.kext in the extra folder. Although, I found in the forum that someone has a native audio Apple driver but I can't get it to work.

Sorry for the many questions. I am sure others would like to know as well. :thumbup:
Thanks

matelot said:
Now that I finally have a mac os running on my pc following Tony's step-by-step instructions. I'd like to get a better understanding on how this whole thing works together.
1. Kexts are drivers found in Sys/Lib/Ext but I also found Kexts in the Extra folder. Are those needed in order for my pc to work? Why not put in the same folder in Sys/Lib/Ext?
2. I have the same graphics card as Tony which is 9400gt. Where's the driver? I see NVDANV40Hal.kext, NVDANV50Hal.kext, NVDAResman.kext, GeForce.kext and a couple of files starting with GeForceXXXXX.bundle in the extension folder.
4. Upon booting, I see a couple of error messages about sound assertion error on AppleHDA. Do I need to worry about it? My sound is working fine. I have LegacyHDA.kext in the extra folder. Although, I found in the forum that someone has a native audio Apple driver but I can't get it to work.

Sorry for the many questions. I am sure others would like to know as well. :thumbup:
Thanks

1. Some kexts load with Chameleon- these are the ones in Extra. Some kexts need other Apple vanilla kexts right next to them to function correctly. These go in System/Library/Extensions.

2. The driver is a combination of those. You enable nVidia injection using a variety of different methods. Chameleon, DSDT, NVenabler, etc...

The rest in a bit... :mrgreen:

matelot said:

Thanks

Part 2:

3. The Don't Steal Mac OS X kext is a funny one- not really that clear about it's function. Just has some disclaimers on the inside as shown in the photo below.

Screen shot 2010-04-10 at 2.16.10 PM.png

4. The sound assertion errors, in my understanding, are discrepencies between the AppleHDAController.kext inside of AppleHDA.kext and the LegacyHDA.kext/DSDT solution for audio. Nothing to worry about- and being worked out by a few of our members Bansaku and atleeit.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-04-10 at 2.16.10 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-04-10 at 2.16.10 PM.png
    135.1 KB · Views: 178
That's great explanation. I know it helps me better understand the setup and I hope it helps others too if they want to tackle hackintosh'ing their PC.

As someone new as well, I can follow the guides, but would like to understand what I'm doing. So to continue OSx86 101:

1. Why do some of the boot isos, have DSDT.aml and others not (as far as I can see)? Why will an iso work without a DSDT?

2. As a P55 i7 860 owner, Am I limited to running 10.6? Can an earlier version, 10.5 work even though apple didn't have i7 until 10.6.x?

Why is setting AHCI in bios so important? What does it do?

Thanks

Max

disneytoy said:
As someone new as well, I can follow the guides, but would like to understand what I'm doing. So to continue OSx86 101:

1. Why do some of the boot isos, have DSDT.aml and others not (as far as I can see)? Why will an iso work without a DSDT?

2. As a P55 i7 860 owner, Am I limited to running 10.6? Can an earlier version, 10.5 work even though apple didn't have i7 until 10.6.x?

Why is setting AHCI in bios so important? What does it do?

Thanks

Max

1. My first Boot CD guide and Boot CD (tonymacx86-P55BootCD) was aimed toward P55 boards and Gigabyte ones in general, have a very stripped down version of my Gigabyte P55M-UD2 DSDT- which seems to work for a lot if not all of the Gigabyte P55 boards, and many others.

iBoot is a new project that is a DSDT-free Boot CD, and enables sound, ethernet, graphics by default. We've been testing it for about 2 months now to make sure it's the most universal Boot CD, and to cut down on all the variants. So hopefully we can maintain 2 or 3 versions for different graphics cards, ie nVIdia, ATI.

2. If you run 10.5, you need to get a retail Leopard DVD, and use pretty much the same install process. But you'll need a boot cd with a patched kernel- like iBoot- but iBoot is only for Snow Leopard, as it contains the 10.0.0 mach_kernel. Also, all i5/i7s are unsupported under Leopard, so you'll never get vanilla support. IMO best to stick with Snow Leopard- there's nothing to go back to 10.5 for.

As far as setting AHCI, it's mandatory. For a great explanation of AHCI, check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_H ... _Interface

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Class Dismissed. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back