Contribute
Register

ECC memory... any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overclocked my memory dimms really bad and checked kernel log in OSX while benchmarking:
"AppleTyMCEDriver ReadCorrectable : Detected 1 errors on channel 1 dimm 0 package 0"

Thaaat iiiisss juuuust amaaaazzzinggg! What SMBios are you using? MacPro3,1?

I really hope I can repeat that with my Asus P8C WS and E3-1245 v2 with 24 GB ECC RAM.

Edit:

Except that you have an X58 (Tylersburg) chipset, which I think is also used in the real Mac Pro. Wonder if my C216 (Panther Point) will ever do that.

I bought Hynix HMT351U7BFR8A-H9T0

Well I also just bought 24 Gb of Hynix HMT351U7BFR8A-H9T0. I should have them in 3 weeks. I'll post my findings.

$_57.JPG

Last edited:
Was there any particular reason you chose these mems? rank, low voltage, unbuffered?
Mainly i choose them because they are the same Spec most workstations and the MacPro with a xeon w3680 use

What SMBios are you using? MacPro3,1?
I use MacPro 5,1 SMBios

Well I got my memory late last week. But I didn't quite get what I had expected. Only 2 of the 6 memory cards had the specs as per the sticker. The other 4 memory cards were either 1.5V and/or a combination of various generations. They were all ECC and unbuffered however, and they seemed to all work together on this motherboard. I'm however sending them back to the seller as I expect to be sold exactly what I had purchased. My recommendation after this exercise is not to buy older memory cards on eBay from either Hong Kong or main land China.

I'm thinking of buying these mems locally from this site. I'd be interested in any opinions out there.....:

https://www.ramcity.com.au/buy/cruc...102472BA186D?gclid=CM2O_-mo0c0CFQiUaQod_1gHaQ

I've attached a few photos of this recent exercise.

It was initially comforting to see that the 6 cards all had the exact same sticker. But I soon suspected something as 2 of the cards looked physically different. Cards 1 and 6 didn't have the top row of bumps seen on the others. I'm guessing that they were bypass capacitors and they were not required on these 2 cards.

1.JPG

Here's a close up of the stickers. The bar codes all look the same. That's probably a good thing.

2.JPG

I plugged them all in and after briefly looking at the BIOS I kicked off a memtest as you can see below. Things seemed to be going quite well and it was an hour or so of feeling quite pleased, that it suddenly dawned on me that specs were different.

4.JPG

Here's a close-up of the specs which I quickly deciphered. I sent the following picture to the seller. The seller then tried to convince me that the only difference was in the serial numbers of each card and not to worry.

5.JPG

That had me thinking for a while but after looking at the chips on each card I was able to come to the same conclusion.

upload_2016-7-2_21-3-7.png

I drew up this little table to try to get the point across to the seller. he has already agreed to take them back but as he sounded sincere in his email reply I felt that he may like to learn something. I try to see the better side of people

6.jpg

and finally, here are the specs for the memory cards. It's east to find on the internet as well as the mem chip specs.

7.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 305
Oh man, what a pita!
hope you'll get the right Dimms soon

Good to meet a mem techhead. You should have seen the grin on my face when I looked at the 5th picture. LOL. :D Ah, the good old days...

Digging up an old one here.

I just resurrected my GA-X58A-UD3R Ver 2.0 and bought a Xeon L5520 (for $4) and want to use the following ECC memory:

MANUFACTURER: ELPIDA
PART NUMBER: EBJ41HE4BAFA-AE-E
COMPONENT DENSITY: 4GB
PRODUCT BUS TYPE: PC3-8500R
COMPONENT SPEED: DDR3-1066
REGISTERED / UNBUFFERED / LOAD REDUCED: REGISTERED
ERROR CORRECTION CODE ( ECC ): ECC
COMPONENT RANK: 2RX4
CAS LATENCY: CL7
PIN COUNT: 240-PIN
MODULE TYPE: SERVER MEMORY ( NOT FOR DESKTOPS )

I have the xeon working fine with a few different kinds of non ecc ddr3 but can't get the memory listed above to even post. Any ideas?

RTFM or the Gigabyte website :

View attachment 387004

Please read and comply with the rules, in particular the one regarding profiles.
Link to profile

Sorry for breaking the rules. I fixed my profile. I've been reading a ton, including R'ing The FM(s). The gigabyte site has conflicting info.
It seems like this board supports ECC but maybe only unbuffered ECC with is a little less common. That aligns with what I see posted in this thread:

GA-X58A-UD3R Ver 2.0 + Xeon + UNBUFFERED ECC DDR3 RAM should, theoretically work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back