Contribute
Register

EBIOS read error: Error 0x31 Block 0x0 Sectors 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't necessarily say I have solved this problem. But, I can say it is "fixed" for now on my machine. I have a multi-boot Win7, multi-partition system with SL, Lion and Mt Lion and installer partitions running. Recently, I started to get this "EBIOS Read Error: Error "0x31" on every boot...

First, I reset the mb bios, then turned off/on the legacy usb, fiddled with "auto" and "enabled" etc... all between several boots. The issue continued.

Then I noticed I had a Canon scanner/printer usb plugged in at boot and showing up in the boot setup list. It had been plugged in and "on" when I tested a new installer usb. That is when The EBIOS boot errors all started for me.

I turned "off" the printer, rebooted and the EBIOS boot error went away. Simple as that...

I suspect this has something to do with non-bootable usb devices like data drives, printers, scanners, readers being plugged in and "on" during boot. The exception to this would be a bluetooth, keyboard and mouse usb connections. I cannot say with certainty what causes this problem for everyone. But, I do know that usb flash drives can trigger this issue for me if my printer is "on" at boot. Apparently, this problem appears to have nothing to do with my hackintosh boot configuration. It might be a usb driver issue of some kind.

Thought I'd share. Hope this helps someone out there :)

Hi all. i have same problem.
only if i connect via USB my 4in1 CardReader. and reboot. After disconnect all work fine.

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with F12 BIOS and a San Disk SD card reader plugged in via USB, and I've been living with this seemingly random boot up hang for as long as I've had my system:

My BIOS doesn't have the same option mentioned above, but in looking for it, I found a setting called "USB Storage Function" that was set to "Enabled". I changed it to "Disabled" and the problem seems to be gone. According to the manual, this setting "Determines whether to detect USB storage devices, including USB flash drives and USB hard drives during the POST. (Default: Enabled)". But I only do that for OS installs, so I don't need it on.
Hi,

I do have the same Board, by disabling the USB help to remove the error messages.
But my issue is that I'm on dual boot, meaning that when prompting to select which OS to boot, my keyboard
is not recognized :crazy:

Is there an option under Chameleon or something else that could help me.

Thanks in advance.

I found another way to avoid error messages to be displayed, without modification of BIOS.
Which is an issue for me because of Dual boot.

For me the problem is coming from a card reader which is integrated in my PC Tower.
If I plug a Card in the Card reader I do not get error messages.... So will live with this ;)

check your boot options. the error comes up when the boards tries to boot a device that is not your Hack boot drive. Sometimes if you have boot from UEFI and Legacy it will select to boot from UEFI such as a printer with card reader, usb device etc... if you also have the boot from UEFI first or similar in the bios. Try setting everything to Legacy and make sure that the boot order is correct in all places in the bios. Including the storage and CDROM/Optical etc....

It is a matter of making sure that it is only booting what you want it to boot. If you get this error it is trying to boot something that does not have a bootable partition.

[in uefi bios of the z77 im found in advanced mode, in tab peripherals well down a option to configure how its treated the usb devices conected to the motherboard.
by default alll figure as auto
the card appear as "Generic Storage Device 0.00" and i set to FDD or CDROM type , save and reboot
voila no more error message "EBIOS read error: Error 0x31. Block 0x0 Sectors 0"[/QUOTE]

Thanks it works like a charm on a GA P75-D3 after ipdatin bios to F11
Thanks again

- - - Updated - - -

[in uefi bios of the z77 im found in advanced mode, in tab peripherals well down a option to configure how its treated the usb devices conected to the motherboard.
the card appear as "Generic Storage Device 0.00" and i set to FDD or CDROM type , save and reboot
voila no more error message "EBIOS read error: Error 0x31. Block 0x0 Sectors 0"[/QUOTE]

Thanks it works like a charm on a GA P75-D3 after updating bios to F11
Thanks again

in uefi bios of the z77 im found in advanced mode, in tab peripherals well down a option to configure how its treated the usb devices conected to the motherboard.
voila no more error message "EBIOS read error: Error 0x31. Block 0x0 Sectors 0"

I had the same problem. Thanks for the fix guys! :D

EBIOS read error: Error 0x31 Block 0x0 Sectors 0 (SOLVED)

Hello my name is Luis. I hope this answer is not too late for many.

I had the same problem with the card reader.

I solve it by setting the bios Generic STORAGE DEVICE

Generic STORAGE DEVICE 0543 as a Floppy

I've never had the problem more "EBIOS read error: Error 0x31 Block 0x0 Sectors 0"

I worked in OSX Mavericks

My Mainboard is GA-Z68XP-UD3
Core i7 2700k

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

luismz78

Attachments

• DSC08619.jpg
    DSC08619.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 725
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back