Contribute
Register

EBIOS read error: Error 0x31 Block 0x0 Sectors 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
im have a same error on gigabyte ga-z77-d3h always wen boot the chimera bootloader write in screen 4 times the error message "EBIOS read error: Error 0x31. Block 0x0 Sectors 0"
this error its generated when the bootloader try to read the internal memory card (conected at internal usb port) as if it was a disc in here
4 errors for 4 port
im try to
a) disconect the card, boot and no error ---> work, but not valid workaround if im like to use memory card
b) disable on bios the "support legacy usb" ---> work, but not valid workaround if im like to use keyboard usb to intercept boot to select options or different partition to boot
c) in uefi bios of the z77 im found in advanced mode, in tab peripherals well down a option to configure how its treated the usb devices conected to the motherboard.
by default alll figure as auto
the card appear as "Generic Storage Device 0.00" and i set to FDD or CDROM type , save and reboot
voila no more error message "EBIOS read error: Error 0x31. Block 0x0 Sectors 0"

Just had this on my hackintosh and thought I would need to put up with it thanks to this thread I realised my shuttle ds61 has built in card reader so disconnected and message gone away :) luckily I don't use it but there needs a fix for people who do?

for my case, it is no any ebios error before upgrade MB bios, after upgrade bios, the issue happened

my cardreader build in my DELL LCD,and all of my cellphone/KB/mice connect it, so i can not remove it or disable it.

i am feeling so bed:(

any body could help to fix it by the system layer??

im have a same error on gigabyte ga-z77-d3h always wen boot the chimera bootloader write in screen 4 times the error message "EBIOS read error: Error 0x31. Block 0x0 Sectors 0"
this error its generated when the bootloader try to read the internal memory card (conected at internal usb port) as if it was a disc in here
4 errors for 4 port
c) in uefi bios of the z77 im found in advanced mode, in tab peripherals well down a option to configure how its treated the usb devices conected to the motherboard.
the card appear as "Generic Storage Device 0.00" and i set to FDD or CDROM type , save and reboot

Wow, thank you. I have a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with F12 BIOS and a San Disk SD card reader plugged in via USB, and I've been living with this seemingly random boot up hang for as long as I've had my system:

Code:
EBIOS read error: Device timeout
Block 0x0 Sectors 0

My BIOS doesn't have the same option mentioned above, but in looking for it, I found a setting called "USB Storage Function" that was set to "Enabled". I changed it to "Disabled" and the problem seems to be gone. According to the manual, this setting "Determines whether to detect USB storage devices, including USB flash drives and USB hard drives during the POST. (Default: Enabled)". But I only do that for OS installs, so I don't need it on.

Changing this setting also fixed another hugely annoying problem with my Western Digital MyBook 1140 USB 3.0 drive that would not mount at startup. The only way to get it to mount was to unplug the power from the drive and plug it back in. Now it mounts after I boot into OS X, and I don't have to crawl around on the floor cursing every time I restart my computer!

Thank you for posting this!
I changed my USB card from Generic Storage Device = Auto to FDD in Bios, now the error is gone.

That is correct!

The problem is in fact the Card Reader,

If you dont want to disable the legacy usb support just browse the bios usb settings and you will find the name of our usb devices that are the components of the card reader itself. They are by default set to auto so the computer treat them as hard drives and then it gives you the error.

I changed this settings from auto to CD-ROM and the problem is fixed now. My legacy usb is working, my card reader too and I get rid of the anoying 4 error messages.

Good Luck!

Thank you, this setup solve my problem to.

EBIOS read error: Error 0x31 Block 0x0 Sectors 0 -[GA-Z77X-UP5-TH (BIOS F11)

Had the same issue on my GA-Z77X-UP5-TH (BIOS F11)

Fixed this in the BIOS by setting all of the bays in my card reader from "Hard Drive" to "Auto".

Hi folks,

i know this thread is a little bit older but this thread really helped me.
I also installed a multi card reader from Transcend today. After that i got these

Code:
EBIOS read error: Error 0x31
Block 0x0 Sectors 0

messages 4 times before the hdd select screen comes up.
After disconnecting the card reader everything is working like a charm.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back