Intel 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

When I try to boot into ML, I get the following message 4 times while Chimera is loading:

EBIOS read error: Error 0x31
Block 0x0 Sectors 0

In fact, I also got this same error when I was installing ML using Unibeast. Tried a different USB flash drive and different USB port for installation but it doesn't go away. It's still able to boot successfully into ML but it's still annoying to see the error message.

I've Googled for a solution but cannot seem to find one. Can any of the experts here help with this? Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H (UEFI/BIOS version F15). Unfortunately the recommended DS3H isn't available here.

Thanks!

Regards
CK

No one else has this problem? :(

Regards
CK

Interesting. I found that there's an update for my UEFI/BIOS (version F18), updated it and now the problem is gone. Maybe you can try that too.

Regards
CK

do either of you have a USB card reader?

I started getting this error as soon as I hooked up my internal USB card reader with a new ML build I am working on. I would get 4 of these errors, and then I could choose an OS, and it would load no problem.

You could turn off USB booting in the BIOS ( it can be called "USB Legacy Support" sometimes).
Although, when I turned off my "USB Legacy" in my BIOS I could no longer use the keyboard to choose an operating system in the bootloader.

I also tried to reinstall the bootloader with the USB reader installed... I was hoping it would be like re-installing LiLo when you moved disks around in Linux... alas, it did not work.

In my case, I just ended up removing the card reader, as we didn't really use it anyway. :)

So the card reader is the problem? I also have an USB printer with card reader connected to my system, and the casing has a card reader too. Anyway, not going to bother as the new BIOS somehow fixed the issue. I am so glad I don't have to see the message 4 times every time I boot up anymore.

Regards
CK

@digitalmozart
In my case at least, it was just the fact that the card reader was hooked up that was causing it.
I am pretty sure the card reader itself is functional. The bootloader must be seeing new "disks" in the BIOS tables and checking them, but, since there is nothing in the reader slot you get an "unreadable" error.

To me, it seems kind of weird, that reinstalling the bootloader did not help.

now if I could only find the stupid little drive bay cover I removed to put the card reader in my case.... :confused:

Hello all, I have the same message at boot. I have my OSX ML on a SSD and also have 3 2TB HDD. Everything has been working perfectly for sometime now, yesterday I noticed one of my HDD didn't show in the Finder, later when I booted I received the EBIOS read error. If I unplug the SATA connector to that drive everything is perfect again. Only issue is that I need what is on that drive. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

do either of you have a USB card reader?

I started getting this error as soon as I hooked up my internal USB card reader with a new ML build I am working on. I would get 4 of these errors, and then I could choose an OS, and it would load no problem.

You could turn off USB booting in the BIOS ( it can be called "USB Legacy Support" sometimes).
Although, when I turned off my "USB Legacy" in my BIOS I could no longer use the keyboard to choose an operating system in the bootloader.

I also tried to reinstall the bootloader with the USB reader installed... I was hoping it would be like re-installing LiLo when you moved disks around in Linux... alas, it did not work.

In my case, I just ended up removing the card reader, as we didn't really use it anyway. :)

Thanks here too !

Updated Intel DQ77KB BIOS from version 38 to 45 and got those read errors. Tried downgrading to version 44 and same issue.

Unplugging the card read fixed it immediately.

Thanks for posting this.

No problem! Glad I could help.

I had this EBIOS read error using Unibeast 1.5.3 on an 8GB USB flash drive, I tried everything suggested and nothing worked. What finally worked perfectly is I used a 80GB hard drive in an external enclosure instead of the USB flash drive. Wanted to share in case it helps someone else!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back