Register

EBIOS read error: Error 0x31 Block 0x0 Sectors 0

Motherboard
ASUS X99-M WS
CPU
Intel 6-Core i7-5820K
Graphics
ATI Radeon HD 7950
do either of you have a USB card reader?

I started getting this error as soon as I hooked up my internal USB card reader with a new ML build I am working on. I would get 4 of these errors, and then I could choose an OS, and it would load no problem.

You could turn off USB booting in the BIOS ( it can be called "USB Legacy Support" sometimes).
Although, when I turned off my "USB Legacy" in my BIOS I could no longer use the keyboard to choose an operating system in the bootloader.

I also tried to reinstall the bootloader with the USB reader installed... I was hoping it would be like re-installing LiLo when you moved disks around in Linux... alas, it did not work.

In my case, I just ended up removing the card reader, as we didn't really use it anyway. :)
Thanks here too !

Updated Intel DQ77KB BIOS from version 38 to 45 and got those read errors. Tried downgrading to version 44 and same issue.

Unplugging the card read fixed it immediately.

Thanks for posting this.

Motherboard
MSI Z77A-G45
CPU
i5-3570k
Graphics
PNY Verto 9800 GT
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
No problem! Glad I could help.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68 Home Build
CPU
i5-2500k
Graphics
GeForce GTX 460 SE
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I had this EBIOS read error using Unibeast 1.5.3 on an 8GB USB flash drive, I tried everything suggested and nothing worked. What finally worked perfectly is I used a 80GB hard drive in an external enclosure instead of the USB flash drive. Wanted to share in case it helps someone else!

Motherboard
desktop
CPU
i7 3.4ghz
Graphics
nvidia geforce 9400gt
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Apple, Centris, Classic, eMac, iBook, iMac, LC, Lisa, Performa, Power Mac, PowerBook, Quadra, SE
Mobile Phone
Android
im have a same error on gigabyte ga-z77-d3h always wen boot the chimera bootloader write in screen 4 times the error message "EBIOS read error: Error 0x31. Block 0x0 Sectors 0"
this error its generated when the bootloader try to read the internal memory card (conected at internal usb port) as if it was a disc in here
4 errors for 4 port
im try to
a) disconect the card, boot and no error ---> work, but not valid workaround if im like to use memory card
b) disable on bios the "support legacy usb" ---> work, but not valid workaround if im like to use keyboard usb to intercept boot to select options or different partition to boot
c) in uefi bios of the z77 im found in advanced mode, in tab peripherals well down a option to configure how its treated the usb devices conected to the motherboard.
by default alll figure as auto
the card appear as "Generic Storage Device 0.00" and i set to FDD or CDROM type , save and reboot
voila no more error message "EBIOS read error: Error 0x31. Block 0x0 Sectors 0"

CPU
i3-3240
Graphics
HD 2500
Just had this on my hackintosh and thought I would need to put up with it thanks to this thread I realised my shuttle ds61 has built in card reader so disconnected and message gone away :) luckily I don't use it but there needs a fix for people who do?

Motherboard
imac
CPU
e1230v2
Graphics
ati5770
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
for my case, it is no any ebios error before upgrade MB bios, after upgrade bios, the issue happened

my cardreader build in my DELL LCD,and all of my cellphone/KB/mice connect it, so i can not remove it or disable it.

i am feeling so bed:(

any body could help to fix it by the system layer??

Motherboard
OS X 10.8.2
CPU
Core i5 2500K
Graphics
Nvidia 9800GT
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
im have a same error on gigabyte ga-z77-d3h always wen boot the chimera bootloader write in screen 4 times the error message "EBIOS read error: Error 0x31. Block 0x0 Sectors 0"
this error its generated when the bootloader try to read the internal memory card (conected at internal usb port) as if it was a disc in here
4 errors for 4 port
c) in uefi bios of the z77 im found in advanced mode, in tab peripherals well down a option to configure how its treated the usb devices conected to the motherboard.
by default alll figure as auto
the card appear as "Generic Storage Device 0.00" and i set to FDD or CDROM type , save and reboot
voila no more error message "EBIOS read error: Error 0x31. Block 0x0 Sectors 0"
Wow, thank you. I have a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with F12 BIOS and a San Disk SD card reader plugged in via USB, and I've been living with this seemingly random boot up hang for as long as I've had my system:

Code:
EBIOS read error: Device timeout
Block 0x0 Sectors 0
My BIOS doesn't have the same option mentioned above, but in looking for it, I found a setting called "USB Storage Function" that was set to "Enabled". I changed it to "Disabled" and the problem seems to be gone. According to the manual, this setting "Determines whether to detect USB storage devices, including USB flash drives and USB hard drives during the POST. (Default: Enabled)". But I only do that for OS installs, so I don't need it on.

Changing this setting also fixed another hugely annoying problem with my Western Digital MyBook 1140 USB 3.0 drive that would not mount at startup. The only way to get it to mount was to unplug the power from the drive and plug it back in. Now it mounts after I boot into OS X, and I don't have to crawl around on the floor cursing every time I restart my computer!

Motherboard
GA-Z68XP-UD4 (U1l)
CPU
Intel i7-2600k
Graphics
nVidia GTX 570
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thank you for posting this!
I changed my USB card from Generic Storage Device = Auto to FDD in Bios, now the error is gone.

Motherboard
Gigabyte z77x-up5-th
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
ASUS GTX 980 DirectCU
Mobile Phone
Android
Just fixed this on my hack and it was indeed the card reader/usb hub. I wanted to add that you can keep these devices on AUTO as long as you make sure they are not configured as bootable devices in you bios. Check out your boot order and disable all the generic storage devices (see also under dvd/cdrom boot options).

Cheers

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68XPUD4
CPU
Intel Core i7 2700K
Graphics
MSI Radeon HD6870
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Color Classic
Mobile Phone
Android
That is correct!

The problem is in fact the Card Reader,

If you dont want to disable the legacy usb support just browse the bios usb settings and you will find the name of our usb devices that are the components of the card reader itself. They are by default set to auto so the computer treat them as hard drives and then it gives you the error.

I changed this settings from auto to CD-ROM and the problem is fixed now. My legacy usb is working, my card reader too and I get rid of the anoying 4 error messages.

Good Luck!