Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi!

Getting this line like 4 times in a row when booting up my Hackintosh, like this:

EBIOS read error: Controller or device error Block 0x0 Sectors 0

What is it? I've read about it and regarding USB 3.0 - I have nothing connected to it. Only 2.0 ports.

Any help? Really want to solve this issue! Everything works just fine from what I can tell, I get into the OS and everything is working. But still, this error shouldn't come, right?

EDIT: I know that I changed the RAM frequency from "AUTO" to "X.M.P" on my motherboard (Asus Sabertooth x79)

Because when it was set to AUTO it simply recognized my RAM memories frequency as 1333MHz instead of 1866MHz which is what it SHOULD be at (I bought 1866MHz because I wanted it to be as fast as possible).

Any tips or tricks about this?

Thanks.

Best,

J

Hi!

Getting this line like 4 times in a row when booting up my Hackintosh, like this:

What is it? I've read about it and regarding USB 3.0 - I have nothing connected to it. Only 2.0 ports.

Any help? Really want to solve this issue! Everything works just fine from what I can tell, I get into the OS and everything is working. But still, this error shouldn't come, right?

EDIT: I know that I changed the RAM frequency from "AUTO" to "X.M.P" on my motherboard (Asus Sabertooth x79)

Because when it was set to AUTO it simply recognized my RAM memories frequency as 1333MHz instead of 1866MHz which is what it SHOULD be at (I bought 1866MHz because I wanted it to be as fast as possible).

Any tips or tricks about this?

Thanks.

Best,

J

This is usually caused by a card reader you have connected to the computer. For example, if I connect my Dell U2410 which has an on-board USB connected card reader to my HP ProBook laptop, I get these messages during boot. Some sort of incompatibility with certain card readers, certain BIOS implementations and Chimera boot loader, since using the same monitor/card reader, but with my desktop I do not have this issue.

Disconnect all external devices and see if you can discover which one is causing it.

I've found that my external USB 3 HDD causes this error. I just turn it off when I boot and turn it back on after it boots up.

I had the same error messages after BIOS flashing. I found that a new default setting is the cause of this problem

I assigned "CDROM" to the media card reader in UEFI BIOS instead of auto detecting. The error messages are gone

Media card reader working as usual

I have the same error, but on a Mac Pro 1,1.
I disconnected the DVD drives of the machine, but the error persists.
Does anyone suggest where to look?

I have the same error, but on a Mac Pro 1,1.
I disconnected the DVD drives of the machine, but the error persists.
Does anyone suggest where to look?

oculos

We assume that you are speaking of a real Mac Pro computer.

Well the error is some what similar in both real Mac and Hack mac.

Remove the usb cables except keyboard - attach mouse to keyboard USB pass through port.

As you get this error on startup we will need to move to other areas in a step by step process.

As you stated you have your DVD Drives - and if you have more that one hard drive you should unplug the SATA cable not the power cable from the Drives - leaving the Boot Drive intact.
I would also retest the DVD's again and remove only the data cable.

You could have just a loose cable so make sure that your connections are snug when you put them on.

If this (removing cables) clears up the error then its one of the SATA drives that is causing the problem - most notably they are not spinning up as fast as they used to. A sign to replace one or more.

Good Luck...

oculos

We assume that you are speaking of a real Mac Pro computer.

Yes, it's a Mac Pro 1,1.

Remove the usb cables except keyboard - attach mouse to keyboard USB pass through port.

As you get this error on startup we will need to move to other areas in a step by step process.

As you stated you have your DVD Drives - and if you have more that one hard drive you should unplug the SATA cable not the power cable from the Drives - leaving the Boot Drive intact.
I would also retest the DVD's again and remove only the data cable.

You could have just a loose cable so make sure that your connections are snug when you put them on.

If this (removing cables) clears up the error then its one of the SATA drives that is causing the problem - most notably they are not spinning up as fast as they used to. A sign to replace one or more.

Good Luck...

Thanks. Well, I tried most things. I removed the DVD drives, as well as the second drive.
There's nothing connected but the HD I use to boot. Since it is a HD with 2TB, I had previously that boot0: error, so I had to apply the suggested fix (dd if=boot1h etc.) to the partition where the OS install is. The system is up and running, but I wonder if I should apply the fix to other partitions.

Does this make it easier to find the culprit?

(Btw, I have 2TB hd's connected. The error occurs with 1 or 2 hd's connected. But the weird is that Chameleon does not "see" anything installed on the other hd (ie, the harddisk without a chameleon partition).

Yes, it's a Mac Pro 1,1.

EDIT: D'oh, you have a real mac, my bad... maybe you can add it to the proper boot plist and see if it helps.. i THINK it's com.apple.Boot.plist ,anyway try it on a test drive first, backup everything, say ten hail mary's etc etc ad nauseum :)

Thanks. Well, I tried most things. I removed the DVD drives, as well as the second drive.
There's nothing connected but the HD I use to boot. Since it is a HD with 2TB, I had previously that boot0: error, so I had to apply the suggested fix (dd if=boot1h etc.) to the partition where the OS install is. The system is up and running, but I wonder if I should apply the fix to other partitions.

Does this make it easier to find the culprit?

(Btw, I have 2TB hd's connected. The error occurs with 1 or 2 hd's connected. But the weird is that Chameleon does not "see" anything installed on the other hd (ie, the harddisk without a chameleon partition).

I had this problem when rebooting my hack with usb printer turned on.. as mentioned in other posts, card readers can be the culprit and my printer has one.. I added this to my org.chameleon.boot.plist and it solved the problem :

<key>Scan Single Drive</key>
<string>Yes</string>

This is fine if you mainly boot from one partition, may not be ideal for regular dual booters (I have no need so have no real experience sorry, maybe someone else can weigh in?). If I need to boot from an installer or other drive I use the BIOS special boot menu, in my case F12 on startup. Hope this helps, as it is irksome even though the hack will boot eventually if left alone.

I had this problem when rebooting my hack with usb printer turned on.. as mentioned in other posts, card readers can be the culprit and my printer has one.. I added this to my org.chameleon.boot.plist and it solved the problem :

<string>Yes</string>

Thanks for your input!
However, I think I tried this, and it didn't work. Also, I don't have any other USB device attached to my Mac. I tried it with everything unplug. No go.

<string>Yes</string>

This is fine if you mainly boot from one partition, may not be ideal for regular dual booters (I have no need so have no real experience sorry, maybe someone else can weigh in?). If I need to boot from an installer or other drive I use the BIOS special boot menu, in my case F12 on startup. Hope this helps, as it is irksome even though the hack will boot eventually if left alone.

Thank you a lot,I have the same problem and I find the usb-hdd is the cause.
So I do the same added org.chameleon.boot.plist and it solved problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back