Contribute
Register

eBay USB Bluetooth Adapter (CSR) not working... Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
CustoMac Mini 2011
CPU
Intel Core i3 3.09 GHz
Graphics
HIS Radeon HD 6670 1GB DDR5
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I recently bought this USB Bluetooth adapter from eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-USB-2-...1098762894458069196&pid=100023&prg=1023&rk=5&

When I plug in the adapter it shows up like this in System Information under the USB category:

Bluetooth USB Host Controller:

Product ID: 0x0001
Vendor ID: 0x0a12 (Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd.)
Version: 19.15
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Location ID: 0x1d130000 / 4
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 0

But no bluetooth functionality.

Im trying to get this to work on the CustoMac Mini 2011 model described here: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/09/building-sandy-bridge-customac-customac.html

I'm running 10.8 Mountain Lion and am wondering if there is any way to edit a kext, insert personalities, etc. to make my bluetooth work properly. I'm trying to pair with an Apple keyboard... I know that each one of these USB adapters have a different chipset but I am curious as to whether anyone knows what's up with this.

Thanks.

P.S. I also uploaded my computer specs if those are at all helpful. The Graphics card is a HIS Radeon 6670 1GB DDR5 card.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-04 at 4.31.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-04 at 4.31.20 PM.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 2,648
  • Screen Shot 2012-08-04 at 4.36.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-04 at 4.36.18 PM.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,444
I have the same USB-bluetooth nub packaging and a similar Cambridge bluetooth chip inside that has worked fine on my hackintosh for years. Perhaps this kext will help - it tricks OSX into believing that the Cambridge chip is a genuine Apple Bluetooth module and loads Apple's native bluetooth stack. Here's how it looks on my system.

bluetooth2.png

bluetooth.png

I completely forgot if you need to edit the info.plist inside the kext to match your module. Hopefully you won't, but you may have to.

Attachments

• CSRAppleBluetooth.kext.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 3,694
Thanks so much for the reply! I went in and installed that kext and rebooted and when i went to System Information, it appeared that my Cambridge usb plug had turned into an Apple, Inc. one! But I still had no bluetooth support... So i went into the info.plist and it looked like the attached photo.

There are parts of this where the vendor ID and Product ID's are: 1452 and 33285 but there are also spots where those numbers are 1 and 2578... Which ones do I modify...? I haven't had much success with either...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-08 at 9.56.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-08 at 9.56.07 AM.png
    104.2 KB · Views: 2,375
you have the one with 2578
and this is already defined in the original apple kext

*Using Hex

0x0001 = 1
0x0a12 = 2578

Product ID: 0x0001
Vendor ID: 0x0a12 (Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd.)

furthermore, your dongle has firmware
Version: 19.15

my research on the web concluded that
this one (v 19.15) does not work on OS X and no one has found a working solution.
If you find a working solution, please let everyone know.

Good Luck

Eureka! I believe I may have the semi-solution for CSR adapters with 19.15 firmware...

I went into IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ and deleted both CSRUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext and CSRHIDTransitionDriver.kext. Then I placed CSRAppleBluetooth.kext in /Extra/Extensions.

Then, I went and repaired permissions and rebuilt caches for S/L/E and E/E and rebooted.

By some miracle, I have Bluetooth working now although it doesn't work well. I can pair my phone but not my Apple Wireless Keyboard... It can find Bluetooth devices but has trouble connecting. Would that be a power issue or do I have bad drivers?

Honestly, I am amazed that it is working at all...

that is about as far as some others and myself have gotten, could pair/connect(sort of) - but drops connection quickly/instantly.

It seems close.......and every now and then I still try to get it to work - my $0.56 e-bay investment should not go to waste ;).
It does works for my XP-laptop.

In the end, I ended up buying a Rocketfish RF-MRBTAD for $4 on e-bay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rocketfish-...luetooth_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item19d409ed09

It works for everything I need it to, (In both SL and Lion)
it worked Out of Box but patching device ID in kext also adds sleep/wake functionality.

Keep trying and Good Luck.........

I ended up buying the Rocketfish adapter and it worked flawlessly since I installed it and rebooted. Not bad for $2.

Did anyone succeed with these kind of adapters?

thanx scorcho very much i got my laggy bluetooth dongle working because of you.thanx a lot a again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back