Register

[EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START] on Big Sur Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please try the attached EFI folder as follows:
  • Copy it to the EFI partition of a USB flash drive for testing purposes
  • Rename the top level folder to just EFI
  • Download OpenCore Configurator 2.25.0.0 from here
  • Launch OpenCore Configurator and set it to 0.7.4 Development Version as shown:
View attachment 530140View attachment 530141
  • Open config.plist located inside the new EFI folder.
  • Copy your serial numbers into PlatformInfo as shown in purple boxes (4 items to copy):
View attachment 530142
  • An easy way to copy these 4 items is by running Hackintool and right-clicking on each item one by one to copy-to-clipboard, then pasting it into OpenCore Configurator.
View attachment 530143
  • Save the file.
  • Reboot.
  • At the Gigabyte Splash Screen, press F12 to open the BIOS Boot Menu and select the USB flash disk.
  • Wait for OpenCore's graphical boot picker to appear (called "OpenCanopy").
  • Select the macOS boot volume and confirm that Big Sur (existing version) boots up and runs okay.
  • If so, backup your existing EFI folder from the EFI partition of the internal macOS SSD and copy the new EFI folder from USB flash disk to the internal macOS SSD.
  • Then eject the USB flash disk and reboot the system to make sure it boots up correctly from the internal SSD.
  • Now try running the in-place upgrade to latest version of Big Sur.
If you encounter a boot failure, try making this change:
View attachment 530144
Once again, thank you very much for your assistance and the very detailed explanation!

I will let you know the results as soon as possible.

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Here's a brief visual intro to OpenCanopy :

@CaseySJ the update you made to my EFI file is a success!!! I was able to boot and now I even have the Apple logo while the machine is booting up! This is amazing! It feels like a real Mac! Hahahaha! I'm so happy! Thank you soooo much!

I forgot to mention that I am using an Aquantia 10G card and during the first boot, I didn't have internet. So, I simply checked if the patch is there and although it was, it was disabled. My mistake. But after I enabled it, everything works. A very good example of why it is indeed very important to be detailed with the specs.

I haven't tried the in-place upgrade yet because I want to check with you first about one thing. As you know, the update failed before. So, I now have this Macintosh HD in the start-up. I have to choose Catalina when booting up otherwise it goes to this Macintosh HD which was created by the update that failed.

Do I need to/can I delete the Macintosh HD before trying the in-place update or is that okay to leave it there? That was for when I tried to update from 11.0.1 to 11.2.3 but now the available update is 11.6.

Do I need to/can I delete the Macintosh HD before trying the in-place update or is that okay to leave it there? That was for when I tried to update from 11.0.1 to 11.2.3 but now the available update is 11.6.
Good question; fortunately there's a simple answer: Just start the upgrade procedure again from System Preferences --> Software Update and it will take care of itself. Each time the system reboots, it will pick the correct startup disk.
  • The first 2 reboots will pick Macintosh HD.
  • The remaining reboots will pick the Big Sur disk (and Macintosh HD will disappear automatically).

Last edited:
Good question; fortunately there's a simple answer: Just start the upgrade procedure again from System Preferences --> Software Update and it will take care of itself. Each time the system reboots, it will pick the correct startup disk.
  • The first 2 reboots will pick Macintosh HD.
  • The remaining reboots will pick the Big Sur disk (and Macintosh HD will disappear automatically).
@CaseySJ Update completed successfully, just like a real Mac! :)

I want to very sincerely thank you again for all the help! I was really on the verge of giving up on this machine as a Hackintosh. True, it worked fine but it nagged me that it couldn't be updated. I was hesitant to ask for help here because I didn't know on which forum to pose my question, so I told myself, I'll try and if I don't get any help, I will convert the machine to Linux.

But you not only pointed me to the correct forum, but you also helped me fix this problem! Thank you very much for your assistance to the community! You're really amazing!

That's more like it. As a little bonus, this EFI will also get you to Monterey!

That's more like it. As a little bonus, this EFI will also get you to Monterey!
Hello @CaseySJ After almost a year, I finally decided to upgrade my system to Monterey. I haven’t touched nor changed anything since the last time that I updated to 11.6.1. Today, I ran the upgrade from Software Update. The computer restarted but after the 2nd restrart and still booting fron Macintosh HD, the upgrade is stuck at about 10% of the progress bar.

Is there something that I need to update before upgrading?

Thank you.

Hello @CaseySJ After almost a year, I finally decided to upgrade my system to Monterey. I haven’t touched nor changed anything since the last time that I updated to 11.6.1. Today, I ran the upgrade from Software Update. The computer restarted but after the 2nd restrart and still booting fron Macintosh HD, the upgrade is stuck at about 10% of the progress bar.

Is there something that I need to update before upgrading?

Thank you.
Hello @louierh70

One quick thing to check: Is SecureBootModel currently disabled in Misc —> Security section of config.plist? If so, we should boot into Big Sur, change it to Default and reboot, then select “Macintosh HD” from the OpenCore picker to continue the upgrade.

Hello @louierh70

One quick thing to check: Is SecureBootModel currently disabled in Misc —> Security section of config.plist? If so, we should boot into Big Sur, change it to Default and reboot, then select “Macintosh HD” from the OpenCore picker to continue the upgrade.
Hello @CaseySJ

Thank you for the quick reply. I rebooted into Big Sur, opened the config.plist and checked the SecureBootModel and it is already set to Default.

Is there any other setting I should check? I’m still on Opencore 0.7.4 Development Configuration, if that makes any difference.

Thank you.

Hello @CaseySJ

Thank you for the quick reply. I rebooted into Big Sur, opened the config.plist and checked the SecureBootModel and it is already set to Default.

Is there any other setting I should check? I’m still on Opencore 0.7.4 Development Configuration, if that makes any difference.

Thank you.
I can update your EFI to 0.8.3, but let's try one more thing:
  • Boot Big Sur and change SecureBootModel to Disabled
  • Reboot
  • Now at the OpenCore boot picker, press and release CMD-V to enable Verbose Logs
  • Then select Macintosh HD and let's see where the boot process stops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back