Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
@CaseySJ thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction where to post this issue (and sorry for posting on the wrong one).

So my build is a Ryzen 7 3700X, Gigabyte X570 Gaming X, and a Vega 56. OpenCore 0.6.3 is used and Big Sur 11.0.1 is installed. I installed using the generic instructions. The system is very stable and runs very well. I only have two issues,

1) I cannot run VirtualBox but maybe this one is okay now because I saw a post in the other thread that this is solved.

2) I get stuck when updating Big Sur with error [EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START]

Other than #2 problem, everything else works.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• 20211003_130245.jpg
    20211003_130245.jpg
    925.3 KB · Views: 198
Some questions:
  • Are you using the latest AMD-OSX kernel patches in which we need to specify the CPU Core Count in the first 3 patches?
  • Have you considered upgrading to OpenCore 0.7.3? However, OpenCore 0.7.4 is expected today.

Some questions:
  • Are you using the latest AMD-OSX kernel patches in which we need to specify the CPU Core Count in the first 3 patches?
  • Have you considered upgrading to OpenCore 0.7.3? However, OpenCore 0.7.4 is expected today.
Thank you for your reply, @CaseySJ !

I haven't updated anything on this system since November 2020. It's been running "almost" perfect since the time I installed it so somehow I have been hesitant to do any upgrades. I'm just worried about the security patches though which is why I tried upgrading and then I got this error.

So I guess the answer to your first question is no. And to the second question, I could of course upgrade OpenCore to 0.7.3 if it will help.

The systems I build using your Golden Build instructions have been running so well that I must admit I have forgotten how to do these updates, but I'll read through the instructions at the beginning of your posts to get up to speed again.

Just one quick question: I remember that you can do temporary changes to the EFI by installing it on a USB stick and booting from that instead of the internal HD. When doing upgrades to the AMD-OSX patch and to OpenCore, can you do the same thing? So that in case there's a problem, you can always revert back to the working EFI in the internal HD?

Thanks a lot!

Just one quick question: I remember that you can do temporary changes to the EFI by installing it on a USB stick and booting from that instead of the internal HD. When doing upgrades to the AMD-OSX patch and to OpenCore, can you do the same thing? So that in case there's a problem, you can always revert back to the working EFI in the internal HD?
Yes -- and doing this on USB flash disk is always the preferred option. After attempting the update to OpenCore 0.7.4 (released moments ago) feel free to compress and post the EFI folder here, but remove serial numbers from PlatformInfo. I can audit the configuration for you.

Yes -- and doing this on USB flash disk is always the preferred option. After attempting the update to OpenCore 0.7.4 (released moments ago) feel free to compress and post the EFI folder here, but remove serial numbers from PlatformInfo. I can audit the configuration for you.
Thank you very, very, very much, once again! I will work on this tomorrow and will post my EFI.

@CaseySJ sorry for this newbie question: when I first installed Big Sur, I used a generic config.plist and some settings which I couldn't edit using opencore configurator, I edited manually using a plist editor. I also added some kext manually to the folders. In fact, I used some from the zip file you provided for the B550.

Since I have never done an update of opencore from scratch, I have to ask, do I simply copy my current config.plist from 0.6.3 when I upgrade to 0.7.4 and then update it using opencore configurator like for AMD-OSX?

@CaseySJ sorry for this newbie question: when I first installed Big Sur, I used a generic config.plist and some settings which I couldn't edit using opencore configurator, I edited manually using a plist editor. I also added some kext manually to the folders. In fact, I used some from the zip file you provided for the B550.

Since I have never done an update of opencore from scratch, I have to ask, do I simply copy my current config.plist from 0.6.3 when I upgrade to 0.7.4 and then update it using opencore configurator like for AMD-OSX?
Feel free to compress and post your 0.6.3 EFI folder, but remove serial numbers from PlatformInfo. I can audit the configuration and upgrade it to 0.7.4.

The safest way to update, especially across a large version gap, would be to open your old config.plist in ProperTree, open the latest sample.plist in another ProperTree instance and walk through both plists, copying settings and referring to the latest documentation for new fields. That way, you can use the snapshot function of ProperTree.
Beware of configurators, especially with a newly released OpenCore and always run your plist through ocvalidate.

Feel free to compress and post your 0.6.3 EFI folder, but remove serial numbers from PlatformInfo. I can audit the configuration and upgrade it to 0.7.4.
Hi @CaseySJ I can't thank you enough for this! Really, very much appreciated!!!

Attached is my EFI. Just in case it's needed here are again the specs of my system:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Gigabyte X570 Gaming X
Vega 56
2x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3200
Big Sur 11.0.1

Attachments

• EFI AMD.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 95
Please try the attached EFI folder as follows:
  • Copy it to the EFI partition of a USB flash drive for testing purposes
  • Rename the top level folder to just EFI
  • Download OpenCore Configurator 2.25.0.0 from here
  • Launch OpenCore Configurator and set it to 0.7.4 Development Version as shown:
Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 6.12.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 6.12.14 AM.png

• Open config.plist located inside the new EFI folder.
  • Copy your serial numbers into PlatformInfo as shown in purple boxes (4 items to copy):
Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 6.08.19 AM.png

• An easy way to copy these 4 items is by running Hackintool and right-clicking on each item one by one to copy-to-clipboard, then pasting it into OpenCore Configurator.
Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 6.15.13 AM.png

• Save the file.
  • Reboot.
  • At the Gigabyte Splash Screen, press F12 to open the BIOS Boot Menu and select the USB flash disk.
  • Wait for OpenCore's graphical boot picker to appear (called "OpenCanopy").
  • Select the macOS boot volume and confirm that Big Sur (existing version) boots up and runs okay.
  • If so, backup your existing EFI folder from the EFI partition of the internal macOS SSD and copy the new EFI folder from USB flash disk to the internal macOS SSD.
  • Then eject the USB flash disk and reboot the system to make sure it boots up correctly from the internal SSD.
  • Now try running the in-place upgrade to latest version of Big Sur.
If you encounter a boot failure, try making this change:
Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 6.06.48 AM.png

Attachments

• EFI-louierh70-074.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 115
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back