Contribute
Register

Easy Way to make a Bootable Clone of your macOS System Drive

I just recreated the process and realized that my clone copy was on a larger drive than the original drive. What Acronis did was put all that extra space into the RECOVERY DRIVE! My RD is almost one TB in size with only a small amount of that used by data.

I wonder how to resize that Recovery Partition without losing it... anyone?

Please can anyone help. I used this guide and made a bootable USB, tried to clone my source drive and got an error in Acronis:
Unable to lock the disk. Boot your computer from a Linux-based bootable media and then try again.

I gave up, and removed the USB. Now I can't boot into OSX 10.13.6, it just hangs on the Apple logo and won't show the progress bar. I get this:

Does anyone think its modified something? should I try replacing the whole EFI drive with a backup?

dba4c251-b0df-41d1-8478-e4ca912740a0-original.jpg

Please can anyone help. I used this guide and made a bootable USB, tried to clone my source drive and got an error in Acronis:
Unable to lock the disk. Boot your computer from a Linux-based bootable media and then try again.

I gave up, and removed the USB. Now I can't boot into OSX 10.13.6, it just hangs on the Apple logo and won't show the progress bar. I get this:

Does anyone think its modified something? should I try replacing the whole EFI drive with a backup?
If you boot the Win10 PE drive from the BIOS boot menu, it has no effect whatsoever on your macOS drive. Did you boot Win10PE from the Clover Boot menu instead ? Did you make a mistake in Acronis and select the wrong drive to make the clone with ?

If you boot the Win10 PE drive from the BIOS boot menu, it has no effect whatsoever on your macOS drive. Did you boot Win10PE from the Clover Boot menu instead ? Did you make a mistake in Acronis and select the wrong drive to make the clone with ?
That's what I thought it shouldn't touch my boot drive. I booted from bios. Acronis threw up an error however "unable to lock the disk boot your computer from a Linux based bootable media and then try again." That was after I'd selected the source. I was VERY careful about selecting the correct disks. Whatever this lock disk thing is it must have attempted to do some operation and now I can't boot. It's a production machine so I really need to fix it asap. I dual boot off the same hd and win 10 is fine only OSX. Does that suggest it's modified OSX rather than clover / EFI somehow?

I dual boot off the same hd and win 10 is fine only OSX. Does that suggest it's modified OSX rather than clover / EFI somehow?
It's best to not use this method with a mixed mac OS Windows 10 dual boot drive. I know you know this now, I'm just trying to warn other dual booters that may want to try this. What about booting from your Unibeast drive ? Try that and see if you can replace your EFI folder with a backup of that.

It's best to not use this method with a mixed mac OS Windows 10 dual boot drive. I know you know this now, I'm just trying to warn other dual booters that may want to try this. What about booting from your Unibeast drive ? Try that and see if you can replace your EFI folder with a backup of that.
I didn't install the system I don't think unibeast was used think it was vanilla. I can physically attach the hack disk via a sata usb cable to my MacBook and try replacing EFI folder. If that doesn't work might have to replace whole OSX partition? I've got a Carbon Copy backup.

I didn't install the system I don't think unibeast was used think it was vanilla. I can physically attach the hack disk via a sata usb cable to my MacBook and try replacing EFI folder. If that doesn't work might have to replace whole OSX partition? I've got a Carbon Copy backup.
If you have to reinstall macOS I would keep it on a separate drive from Windows. It creates too many issues like this when you dual boot on the same drive.

If you have to reinstall macOS I would keep it on a separate drive from Windows. It creates too many issues like this when you dual boot on the same drive.

I have a spare M2 drive with nothing on so might try restore OSX to that. I'm not that knowledgeable however as what's the best way to try it. Do I install same version of clover on to the M2, copy a previously working EFI on to this. Clone OSX on M2? Not sure how to link clover to use the M2 drive for OSX and for Win 10 to be on another SSD. Can you suggest?

There's a couple of possible reasons why you got the "unable to lock the disk" error. If you were using a version of Acronis older than 2017 that does not support GPT drives or the person who created your dual boot may have partitioned the drive MBR instead of GPT. I don't know what they actually did so I would suggest you follow the HS or Mojave installation guide on this site and perform a clean installation to the M.2 drive from a Unibeast installer. Of course, you'll need to disconnect the dual boot Windows/macOS drive when doing this. All the info and tools you need are here to do this. Follow the guide for which version of macOS you need. You can create the Unibeast installer on your Macbook or boot from your CCC backup drive and use that.

Screen Shot 7.jpg

In step 6 of the installation guide make sure that the partition scheme is GPT. It doesn't specifically say that, but check to make sure that is selected in Disk Utility.

6. For a new installation of macOS, you MUST erase and format the destination drive according to the following steps before continuing.
a. In the top menu bar choose Utilities, and open Disk Utility
b. Highlight your target drive for the Mojave installation in left column.
c. Click Erase button
d. For Name: type Mojave (You can rename it later)
e. For Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Scheme: GUID
f. Click Erase
g. Close Disk Utility

Screen Shot 11.jpg

Many of the moderators some of the members here do not even boot macOS with a Windows drive connected to their PC at the same time to avoid issues between macOS and Windows. Primarily file and EFI partition corruption and data loss.

Some will use hot swap bays and physically remove the HDD or SSD that the OS is installed upon. The other option is to simply disconnect the the sata cable from the drive you are not booting from before you power on the machine.

If you can't tolerate any down time that is the safest way to dual boot on the same machine. Especially if you use macOS for your work to earn a living.

Last edited:
Back