Contribute
Register

Easiest way of backing up a fully functioning system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390i Aorus Pro WIFI
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I am very happy with my Catalina installation that seems to be running smoothly - thank you tonymacx86. But what do you do when it's not and fails to boot?

I was trying to be able to monitor the cpu temp from Catalina since it's a brand new computer and don't want to reboot to bios to check it. Anyway I was messing around with some kexts that totally made the system unbootable. I reinstalled and it's back to a working system. Surely that's not the most efficient way. I have another 1TB SSD disk installed that's unused where I am happy to clone the system if that's the best way.

I have searched and read about it but most threads are several years old and dictate different more of less verified ways of backing up the Hackintosh.

So, any advice for a novice? Maybe there's a way of just cloning the (working) EFI? But how can clover access it?

Many thanks for your help!

There’s an app called Carbon copy Cloner, that will clone your HDD to another drive. It’s also really easy for making other backups as it will check what has changed, and only copy the files that have been updated or added. This way it only takes a couple of minutes each time you run it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back