Contribute
Register

Early Adopters > Mavericks on a Gigabyte H/Z97N-WIFI using HD4600 - No Graphics Card Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Stork. I've had a couple of random freezes this weekend. Is there anyway to "uncheck" Generate CPU stats if I didn't do that the first time? I don't want to reinstall this whole thing.
With a text editor (like TextEdit), edit the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file such that both the GeneratePState and GenerateCState are No instead of Yes.

With a text editor (like TextEdit), edit the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file such that both the GeneratePState and GenerateCState are No instead of Yes.

Thanks, Stork. I made the change. I'll let you know if I run into any problems. Let us know when you get your H/Z97N-WIFI Yosemite guide up. I'll read it with great interest.

Thank Gawd, Apple released 10.10.1. Check out tonymacx86's post and my follow up on a recommended procedure to accomplish the update.

Thank Gawd, Apple released 10.10.1. Check out tonymacx86's post and my follow up on a recommended procedure to accomplish the update.

The 10.10.1 update went off without a hitch. Thanks for the instructions. My only remaining problem seems to be no option to enable bluetooth from within system preferences. The option doesn't even show up. If I click "Network," I get a "Bluetooth PAN is not connected" message and no option to connect. I'm sure I've just missed something obvious, but any help would be appreciated. I can verify that I screwed in the antenna. Thanks!

The 10.10.1 update went off without a hitch. Thanks for the instructions. My only remaining problem seems to be no option to enable bluetooth from within system preferences. The option doesn't even show up. If I click "Network," I get a "Bluetooth PAN is not connected" message and no option to connect. I'm sure I've just missed something obvious, but any help would be appreciated. I can verify that I screwed in the antenna. Thanks!
I've used Bluetooth Setup Assistant in /System/Library/CoreServices with much better success than the Bluetooth Sys Pref pane.

Thanks man!.

I think the most is working, not Wifi and not both lan nets (i dont want use simult. but i like to have all correctly working).

Im going to format and reinstall all, next time trying your guide in Yosemithe. I will feedback in the other port about the new version.

Thanks again

A couple of additional notes:
After install if "-v -x" results in stalling at a "Uptime in Nanoseconds" then just use "-x"

If you get the boot0: error issue. This is common for 1TB drives, especially Western Digital.
Upon successful installation, boot from hard drive results in this:

Loading Operating System …

boot0: GPT
boot0: test
boot0: error

The Actual Problem:
With disk drives getting larger and larger manufacturers have had to change the default block size from 512 bytes to 4,096 bytes. These new drives are known as "Advanced Format" or 4K drives. Initially this was only seen on drives larger than 1 TB but will soon be on all drives. As part of this change there is an issue with OS X writing the boot helper code to these drives when booted from the drive. Because of this they require a workaround to boot on their own.

Solution 1: Use UniBeast
Pros: Easy- OS X Only
Cons: Requires use of the Terminal and UniBeast drive.

How To Do it:
1. Install using UniBeast
2. Boot new installation using UniBeast created USB.
3. Run MultiBeast and install as normal
4. Reboot system back into OS X installer.
5. Run Disk Utility and unmount the drive you installed OS X on. Right click on the volume and select Unmount.
6. Launch Terminal and execute the following command:

Code:

dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2

7. Exit Terminal
8. Reboot Normally

NOTE: The above instructions are based on OS X being installed to a hard drive connected to SATA port 0. If you are using a different port you will need to get the drive device name from Disk Utility by selecting the volume and clicking Info.

A couple of additional notes:
After install if "-v -x" results in stalling at a "Uptime in Nanoseconds" then just use "-x"

If you get the boot0: error issue. This is common for 1TB drives, especially Western Digital.
Upon successful installation, boot from hard drive results in this:

Loading Operating System …

boot0: error

The Actual Problem:
With disk drives getting larger and larger manufacturers have had to change the default block size from 512 bytes to 4,096 bytes. These new drives are known as "Advanced Format" or 4K drives. Initially this was only seen on drives larger than 1 TB but will soon be on all drives. As part of this change there is an issue with OS X writing the boot helper code to these drives when booted from the drive. Because of this they require a workaround to boot on their own...
Yes, this has been known for a while now. Matter of fact, MacMan wrote a guide to fix the boot0: error.

Hi

I've just started the adventure...
My hardware is as follows:
i7 4790 3.6GHz
DDr3 2x4GB 1600MHz
GA-Z97N-WIFI

So I've followed yours and TonyMacx guide for a mavericks installation and have got as far as trying to boot the installer for the first time.

After updating the BIOS and loading the optimised defaults, even with your recommended bootflags I received an iTunes error message that made the boot hang. (same as the screen shot on the top post of this thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...tunes-apple-store-content-access-problem.html)

I seemed to get rid of this by trial and error changing things in the BIOS settings (see edit 2), informed by various threads on here. However now I'm getting a 'Still waiting for root device' message.

What would recommend I try? Should I go back, load the defaults and try something else to get around the hang after the iTunes message?

I do not have a GPU and I would've liked to use the motherboards built in graphics... but from reading around it seems this may be a problem.

Hope you can help,

Happy xmas !

EDIT:

Also the drive which I intend to install mavericks on is an INtel 530 Series 120GB connected through a 6Gb/s sata port.

EDIT 2:

To get around the iTunes hang thing I enabled XCHI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back