Contribute
Register

Early Adopters > Mavericks on a Gigabyte H/Z97N-WIFI using HD4600 - No Graphics Card Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!.
Stork, i just can installed Mavericks with your instructions with a z97n-wifi and grafic nvidia GT740 2gb.
After install i use your MultiBeast Hector Fresh.mb file. All seems works ok but before use MultiBeast one of the LAN works and the other no, after use MultiBeast the one who worked now don't works and vice versa, the other works. Is this normal, is possible to use both LANs?.
Theoretically, you can use both LAN ports. I used only the Atheros port in the beginning, but use WiFi now. I'll try the Intel port and update this post.

Do you know some about us the graphics GT740, with your MultiBeast only can use 720p, no 1080.
I don't have a GT 740 but it should work. You'll have to turn on booting from the PCIE Slot1 and turn off your IGFX in your BIOS, save the changes and shutdown; then install the card and boot using the 740 card connected to your monitor. Use only the DVI or HDMI connectors on the card as Apple's OS X doesn't natively support VGA connections.

And my last question, i try to use a dual boot with Windows 7. Following instructions of foro i install Mavericks, giving a free partition, after install windows 7 in that free partition. AFter only Windows boot, i install program for make a new entry in boot but nothing works (any help).
Sorry, can't help you as I only use OS X and don't dual boot operating systems. I refer you to the MultiBoot forum section for help. http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/

Update: First, I was actually using the Intel Ethernet port, not the Atheros. Second, when I tried the Atheros Ethernet port, I realized I used the wrong kext/driver, and I corrected the Guide and .mb file. The Atheros driver should be the ALXEthernet driver. Finally, I realized that I don't know how to use two Ethernet ports at once - never had the need for doing so - but using the Guide's Ethernet drivers, you should have both Ethernet ports working.

113223-hector-rear-panel.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Stork,

Is there a guide for the Z97N-WIFI for Yosemite? I tried a clean install last weekend, but ran into freezing issues (pretty horrific freezing). I confirmed that my RAM is on the list, but I was using a cheap PSU. I reluctantly ordered the Corsair from the buyer's guide, which is coming today. Anyway, should I use your settings from the original post when putting this bad boy together? Should I just look to the main installation guide since this is using approved parts? Where should I turn for MultiBeast settings? Thanks in advance!

Here is my configuration:

GA-Z97N-WIFI
Intel Core i5-4690K
Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL9 at 1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Modules BLS2C8G3D169DS3
Corsair CS 550 Watt Modular
CoolerMaster Elite 130
Kingston Digital 120GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5

...Is there a guide for the Z97N-WIFI for Yosemite?...
There are several H/Z97N guides in the Yosemite Desktop Guides forum section, IIRC.

I tried a clean install last weekend, but ran into freezing issues (pretty horrific freezing). I confirmed that my RAM is on the list, but I was using a cheap PSU...
Well, so long as it's Haswell "Ready" or "Certified", it will work and not be the cause of any freezes; unfortunately, there a multitude of other things tha can cause freezes.

Thanks for the response. I wasn't able to find any documentation indicating my old PSU was Haswell certified. Based on some of your comments through the thread, I figured I'd attack the freezing issue there first.

I found one h97n (not z97n) on the Yosemite Desktop Support Forum, but it doesn't list any bios settings. I'm guessing h97n and z97n are basically the same settings-wise? I guess I'll just use the bios settings from the Yosemite Installation Guide.

Thanks again.

...I found one h97n (not z97n) on the Yosemite Desktop Support Forum, but it doesn't list any bios settings. I'm guessing h97n and z97n are basically the same settings-wise? I guess I'll just use the bios settings from the Yosemite Installation Guide...
It's a fair assumption that the two motherboards are the same (for all intensive purposes) for this discussion. (The H97N & Z97N share the same User's Manual.) You can use the Guide for your Z97N including the BIOS and MultiBeast configuration.

However, that being said, I can not, repeat, can not recommend Yosemite 10.10.0. It has terrible (re: none) support for 9-series motherboards. (The new Retina iMac uses the 8-series motherboard chipset - does that tell you something?) Stick with Mavericks for right now. Hector (this build) runs very well with Mavericks. :thumbup:

My system is also running without any hiccups. I generally followed the Yosemite Installation guide, with the following settings:

Bios Settings

MIT - Advanced Memory Settings - XMP - Profile 1
BIOS Features - VT-d - Disabled
Peripherals - Initial Display Output - IGFX
Peripherals - Intel Processor Graphics - Enabled
Power Management - Wake on LAN - Disabled

Multibeast Settings

Quick Start > DSDT Free
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC892
Drivers > Network > Atheros > ALXEthernet
Customize > System Definitions > iMac14.2

No problems after three days.

Thanks for your inputs on your Yosemite installation, bombstyle. How much memory is in your system?

16gb of RAM. The full component list is below:

• GA-Z97N-WIFI
  • Intel Core i5-4690K
  • Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL9 at 1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Modules BLS2C8G3D169DS3
  • Corsair CS 550 Watt Modular
  • CoolerMaster Elite 130
  • Kingston Digital 120GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5

It's a computer for my wife. She is running photoshop, etc. without any problems. I also installed Windows 7 using virtualbox within the system (she had to have Windows Live Writer for blogging). No freezes, no problems awaking from sleep (audio even works).

I haven't tested HDMI audio, wifi, or bluetooth (no need). iMessage doesn't work, but my wife doesn't have an iPhone, so it doesn't really matter (Hangouts works through Google).

If I run into problems I'll be back to beg for help.

I finally got a test Yosemite 10.10.0 installed on a separate SSD using UniBeast 5.02 and Mavericks for Yosemite v7.02; this was a fresh installation. The BIOS settings remain the same as in the OP Guide. I didn't use any flags for the installation the first part of the installation.

However, for the 2nd UniBeast reboot I used -x to get to the Yosemite Desktop to run MultiBeast. Before running MultiBeast, make sure you do the following just like in the OP of this Guide:
:ch: Open the Security & Privacy Preference Pane in System Preferences;
:ch: In the lower left corner, click on the padlock and type in your Admin username & password;
:ch: Click on the General tab if it isn't already highlighted;
:ch: Click on the "Anywhere" radio button under "Allow applications and downloaded from:" and
:ch: Close the System Preferences window.​

Here are my MultiBeast choices:
Quick Start > DSDT Free
Drivers > Audio Realtek ALCxxx > ALC892
Drivers > Misc > EvOreboot
Drivers > Network > Intel > AppleIntelE1000e v3.1.0
Customize > Boot Options > Uncheck Generate CPU States <---- Important for 9-series
________________________________________________motherboards with Haswell
________________________________________________Refreshed processors; prevents
________________________________________________freezes

Customize > System Definitions > iMac > iMac 14,2​

MultiBeast for Yosemite v7.02 Build screen snapshot
113844-hector-h97n-yo-mb-7-build.png
I didn't check the TRIM option. Too many war stories about TRIM Enabler not yet working in Yosemite. Since I'm running Mavericks most of the time (with TRIM enabled), this separate Yosemite drive will get TRIMed from running Mavericks. Stay tune for more info on this subject.

To get BT working, I ran the /your hard disk name/System/Library/CoreServices/Bluetooth Setup Assistant. So, my Apple wireless keyboard, TrackPad and Magic Mouse work; I still need a USB keyboard/mouse for booting into the BIOS.

So far, no freezes with 16GB of memory. According to DPCIManager, my P States are 8, 35, 36 and 37. Recall I'm using the iMac14,2 System Definition to best use the HD4600 monitor connection. Consequently, this is in line with an Apple iMac. I will explore creating a SSDT to achieve better power management, but, don't hold your breath (wait on me) for an SSDT. (I'm still using Mavericks as my daily OS X.)

Note: please do not ask about Yosemite in this thread - this Guide thread is focused on Mavericks. This post was to just get you oriented. Post your questions in the Yosemite Desktop Support. TIA. I will shortly write a more complete Guide for the H/Z97N with Haswell Refreshed processors in the Yosemite Desktop Guides forum section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Stork. I've had a couple of random freezes this weekend. Is there anyway to "uncheck" Generate CPU stats if I didn't do that the first time? I don't want to reinstall this whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back