Contribute
Register

Early Adopters > Mavericks on a Gigabyte H/Z97N-WIFI using HD4600 - No Graphics Card Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What early adopters easily forget is that until Apple releases a box based on the Z97 there will never be full OS X support for the chipset. We've seen the same on socket 2011 for years, people continue to hack, patch, and test and make it usable, but never right... No reason to expect anything different here. With Broadwell release getting closer, it wouldn't be a surprise to see Apple skip Z97 all together.

I fully expect that many early adopters will roll back to Z87 when they get tired if the battle... Whatever you do, good luck with the build. Certainly, following Stork's lead is the best you can do for now...

Okay, I give up for now... Can anyone give me an estimate on how long it might take for apple to move onto the next generation chipset?

Tried a clean Clover install and had no freeze for the past 3 1/2 days. Record so far.

Tried a clean Clover install and had no freeze for the past 3 1/2 days. Record so far.

I only use Clover these days. Install is honestly more straightforward than Chameleon at this point. And has some nice features to go along with it. Clover = the future.

In any event, I think the memory was my issue. Memtest did find some issues. Furthermore, immediately after the last mem test ran (using OS X) one it immediately crashed. I mean, immediately. Could be post hog erco proctor hoc fallacy but I don't think so.

So perhaps the new PSU was a waste, but hey, new PSU is quieter.

Sending my current kit (32GB Dominator GT 1866 Ram -- great kit... if it worked) in for RMA. Currently stole an 8gb Dimm from the Hack i built for my wife. Think she'll ever know? So if it's not the memory, it could be the board. I doubt this since i had similar crashes on my old board using this memory.

Feeling good now. Hopefully it remains stable.

Some other points:

1. The ASUS Z97s with Wifi/Bluetooth should be the default board for Z97 Builders IMO. Working onboard AC WiFi AND Bluetooth is a rare combo to find on a board. Makes for a clean build! Terrific.

2. USB is totally natively functional on this board. New extra kext.

3. No boot flags necessary to boot.

I'm using a a cheap external graphics card (driving two 1440p monitors), so haven't played around with internal graphics.

Otherwise, as far as I can tell, the only "downside" to Z97 besides IGP workarounds and the (currently) missing green audio port is that Sata shows up as generic. Cosmetic. Everything works fine and fast.

Really happy with this board.

Thank you for the guide, I was able to get OS X 10.9.4 up and running using Stork's instructions. It's my first Hackintosh since running 10.4 on a Compaq Presario laptop years ago.

The only issue I have is sleep/wake and shutdown/restart not working. Will using Clover to boot resolve this issue?

I've also tried booting with Clover, but get a black screen. Can anyone who has Clover working share their configuration?

Edit:

I was able to get Clover working which fixed restart issue. The SSDT file was causing it to not boot, but worked after I installed it to the Hard Drive.

Welcome to being an Early Adopter. My sleep/wake-up does not work, either. It might be something simple or it might be because OS X doesn't yet support the 9-series motherboards/chipsets. Hopefully, sleep/wake-up problem will be solved soon.

I have the H97N-WIFI. After I run Multibeast, I am stuck at a white screen after the apple logo when I try without -v -x.
It boots fine into safe mode with -x
When I try just -v for Verbose, it shows me a lot of errors for com.apple.iokit.iographicsfamily

Any suggestions? I've followed the exact instructions from the OP but haven't touched SSDT yet

Thanks and Regards,
Angad

I have the H97N-WIFI. After I run Multibeast, I am stuck at a white screen after the apple logo when I try without -v -x.
It boots fine into safe mode with -x
When I try just -v for Verbose, it shows me a lot of errors for com.apple.iokit.iographicsfamily

Any suggestions? I've followed the exact instructions from the OP but haven't touched SSDT yet

Thanks and Regards,
Angad
Well, all we know is that you have a H97N and your system is hanging. Since we're not telepathic, we'll need more information.
- Make/mode # of
-- processor
-- memory (is the memory on the GA H97N memory verification list?)
-- graphics card, if any
-- Is your power supply certified as Haswell ready?​
- Are you trying to install with a graphics card or on-board graphics?
- Are you using UniBeast to install Mavericks?​

By helping us with this information, we can help you better. :thumbup:

Well, all we know is that you have a H97N and your system is hanging. Since we're not telepathic, we'll need more information.
- Make/mode # of
-- processor
-- memory (is the memory on the GA H97N memory verification list?)
-- graphics card, if any
-- Is your power supply certified as Haswell ready?​
- Are you trying to install with a graphics card or on-board graphics?
- Are you using UniBeast to install Mavericks?​

By helping us with this information, we can help you better. :thumbup:

Sorry about that :p I figured since the issue seems about graphics and the thread is referring to installing without using a Graphics card the other details would not be necessary.

The processor is an i5 Haswell 4570 3.2Ghz.
RAM is 4 x 2GB Corsair Vengance 1600Mhz DDR3 240-Pin dual channel memory. (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B It is on the Memory Verification List)
Power Supply is the Corsair CS 550 Watt Modular Gold Plus Certified one shown in the build guides

I do not have a graphics card. I used Unibeast to install with the "maxmem=4096" flag. Now it boots properly with -x but not without it.

I'll post a photo of the error from verbose shortly.

Appreciate all your help..

Attachments

• media-20140717.jpg
    media-20140717.jpg
    518.5 KB · Views: 198
Did you follow the Guide including using the modified AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext and the graphics graphics_intel_hd5k-azul-d-90_patch? I ask because that's the problem you have if you didn't use those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back