Contribute
Register

Early Adopters > Mavericks on a Gigabyte H/Z97N-WIFI using HD4600 - No Graphics Card Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the excellent suggestions. As it happens, in another thread toleda informs me that Mac OS X does not output 1440p over anything other than Displayport...please let me know if you have any other suggestions for no-fuss single-slot graphics cards.
If you don't mind getting a used graphics card, I'm using Gigabyte HD 5770 and HD 6850, both with DP and driving my Dell 27" U2711 at 2560x1440. Good Luck with your quest.

Early Adopters > Mavericks on a Gigabyte H/Z97N-WIFI using HD4600 - No Graphics Card Needed!

Thanks again Stork.

I managed to get to Multi-beast and now everything looks pretty good except for sound.

I am searching through other threads for a solution.

I know my H97-HD3 has an ALC887. Multibeast lists two versions for that ALC887/888b Current v100302 makes output types available.

I think I have installed the new Azul patch.

I still get nothing on any of the rear ports green / orange / black.

Richard

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks again Stork.

I managed to get to Multi-beast and now everything looks pretty good except for sound.

I am searching through other threads for a solution.

I know my H97-HD3 has an ALC887. Multibeast lists two versions for that ALC887/888b Current v100302 makes output types available.

I think I have installed the new Azul patch.

I still get nothing on any of the rear ports green / orange / black.

Richard

If you don't mind getting a used graphics card, I'm using Gigabyte HD 5770 and HD 6850, both with DP and driving my Dell 27" U2711 at 2560x1440. Good Luck with your quest.

Thank you very, very much Stork - you truly are a gem and one of the very few people I have ever met on an internet forum who wasn't instantly an ass :) As I mentioned, because of what I was told in the other thread, I ended up just buying the Mini. The parts are going back to Microcenter tonight or tomorrow.

For what it is worth if ever you need to make a recommendation, there is only one card that I found that met all my criteria (low power, fully supported, Displayport, able to drive a 2560x1440 and single-slot), though it's quite pricey and hard to find: the Dell 321-0116. It's a GT-640 based card, and runs about $110 if you can find it directly from Dell (which is infrequent) or about $170 if you go searching the dark corners of the internet.

At any rate, I will keep an eye on the progress of Apple's support for the *97 chipsets. Who knows, I may yet build another Hackintosh in a few months to do something else!

The biggest thing is that, total system freezes. It freezes suddenly, totally ramdomly and unexpectedly.

Same for me. Very random. System runs for hours and days with moments of high usage as well as hibernation/sleep without any problem till it suddenly freezes.

usually logs show this:
com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: (com.apple.helpd) Throttling respawn: Will start in 8 seconds

View attachment freeze.log

installed freeze fix app. will see what happens and report

Same for me. Very random. System runs for hours and days with moments of high usage as well as hibernation/sleep without any problem till it suddenly freezes.

usually logs show this:

View attachment 98230

installed freeze fix app. will see what happens and report
Freezes in Haswell systems are usually due to one or two or both of the following:
- Memory on listed in your motherboards memory verification/approved/etc. list and/or
- Power supply not rated for Haswell use.​

Hi forum,

I'd been having trouble with bluetooth since my original build, and I'd learned a lot since then, so I decided to do a fresh build with a new AW-NB290 installed!

Now I'm having problems :) I can get past the first install fine with no boot params at all - the second phase of install, booting from Mavericks (with -x -v) gives me a deadbeef shortly after "flow_divert_kctl_disconnect".

I've read all through this post and I don't see anyone having a similar issue.. Any ideas?

EDIT: maxmem=4096 did the trick. Or maybe it was the 17th reboot that did it.

I'm still having problems with the installer hanging before it finishes, on the "Setting Up Your Mac" screen. Thoughts?

Say, 10.9.4 is okay for the base install.. Isn't it?

BIOS Model: F2
BIOS Date: 24/04/2014

Changed memory Profile1 to Disabled (1333MHz)
1 piece 4GB ram, closest slot to CPU.

I will try this way from now on. If it freezes again I'll post.

Edit: Aaaand it freezes again (with default ram profile). So what now?

Went all day with perfect stability while just testing. Tonight I started getting my data ready, installing apps, moving files, etc. then I had lots of crashes.

I'm thinking it might have to do with limited Sata support on z97. I'll see if it continues it happen when I go back to Normal use and not transferring 100s of 1000s of files between drives

Okay let me introduce myself.
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H
CPU: Intel I5 4690
RAM: (1x8gb) G Skill F3-12800CL-GBXL
PSU: OCZ700MXSP

Eventually I'd like to plug in my second stick of memory and E-GeForce 8600 GT

Using the BIOS Settings recommended on the first post in this thread I was able to partially load the installer using the maxmem bootflag.

I see a static white noise display for a bit but eventually i get hung up on the gray screen with the busy cursor prior to the installation welcome screen.

I'm running the most current bios.

please help!!

...Eventually I'd like to plug in my second stick of memory and E-GeForce 8600 GT
Why are using one memory stick? Is your memory on the motherboard's verified memory list?

srockwell1207 said:
Using the BIOS Settings recommended on the first post in this thread I was able to partially load the installer using the maxmem bootflag.

I see a static white noise display for a bit but eventually i get hung up on the gray screen with the busy cursor prior to the installation welcome screen.

I'm running the most current bios.
What on-board graphics connector are you using?

i've been scouring the z97 threads so one stick seemed proper

dvi

I'll try both sticks with the vga/hdmi and report back tomorrow...

any more suggestions in the meantime?

again i really appreciate any and all help! this is as far as i've gotten so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back