Contribute
Register

Early Adopters > Mavericks on a Gigabyte H/Z97N-WIFI using HD4600 - No Graphics Card Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
where you disable turbo boost in bios?

I don't know if the BIOS is the same on the H97 as it is on the Z97, but on the latter, it's in the "Smart Tweaker Mode". It's under the "Advanced Settings" on the first page.

Yes, see the original post (Post #1).

Apologies, I don't actually see where in the post it mentions dual monitors. I've installed both the kext and run the script, if that's what you're referring to? There doesn't seem to be anything specific about dual monitors though either in the post or the script.

The motherboard, oddly, can't drive more than 1080p from the DVI port, so I'm using that to drive a low-res 1280x1024 screen. My usual main screen, a ZR2740W which runs natively at 2560x1600 is flickering and tearing over an HDMI -> DVI adapter. I thought it was a memory issue, but I've maxed out the IGFX RAM at 512MB and no bueno. I only unfortunately have a DP port and a DVI on the monitor, so this is a bit of a showstopper for me here. :( Any thoughts? Am I going to have to get a separate card?

Apologies, I don't actually see where in the post it mentions dual monitors. I've installed both the kext and run the script, if that's what you're referring to? There doesn't seem to be anything specific about dual monitors though either in the post or the script.
Actually, I'm the one to apologize. It's in my build description: http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...ga-h97n-wifi-i5-4690-hd4600-two-monitors.html. Originally, I had this Guide in my build description but split it apart as stated in the original post. I've tested three monitors using the H97N's 2 HDMI and one DVI ports, all working fine

vnangia said:
The motherboard, oddly, can't drive more than 1080p from the DVI port, so I'm using that to drive a low-res 1280x1024 screen. My usual main screen, a ZR2740W which runs natively at 2560x1600 is flickering and tearing over an HDMI -> DVI adapter. I thought it was a memory issue, but I've maxed out the IGFX RAM at 512MB and no bueno. I only unfortunately have a DP port and a DVI on the monitor, so this is a bit of a showstopper for me here. :( Any thoughts? Am I going to have to get a separate card?
Currently, I'm using the DVI output to drive a HP 24" (ZR24W) monitor at 1920x1200, and the bottom HDMI port to drive a Dell 27" (U2711) at 1080p. I'm not witnessing any tearing as the Dell has a HDMI connection, and, thus, works fine. I have a HDMI to DVI cable; I'll try it, and update this post.

However, I, too, would rather have 2560x1440 on the 27" Dell, but it will take a graphics card to drive it. So, I'm waiting for Apple to support the nVidia GTX 750 Ti cards. If you can't wait, I'd look for a used 650 or 650 Ti to use unless you want more graphics horsepower. A used used 650 Ti should cost $100-$120 USD on eBay.

Actually, I'm the one to apologize. It's in my build description: http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...ga-h97n-wifi-i5-4690-hd4600-two-monitors.html. Originally, I had this Guide in my build description but split it apart as stated in the original post. I've tested three monitors using the H97N's 2 HDMI and one DVI ports, all working fine

Currently, I'm using the DVI output to drive a HP 24" (ZR24W) monitor at 1920x1200, and the bottom HDMI port to drive a Dell 27" (U2711) at 1080p. I'm not witnessing any tearing as the Dell has a HDMI connection, and, thus, works fine. I have a HDMI to DVI cable; I'll try it, and update this post.

However, I, too, would rather have 2560x1440 on the 27" Dell, but it will take a graphics card to drive it. So, I'm waiting for Apple to support the nVidia GTX 750 Ti cards. If you can't wait, I'd look for a used 650 or 650 Ti to use unless you want more graphics horsepower. A used used 650 Ti should cost $100-$120 USD on eBay.

Thank you for the advice. I swapped it around so that the DVI port is now driving the ZR2740w and the HDMI-DVI adapter is driving the 1280x1024 screen. The problem remains. If I scale the ZR2740W to 1280x720, there's no visual glitches, but that defeats the purpose of the screen. As to a video card ... for reasons of space and noise, I'd like to stick to something much more lower end than the Titan. Are GT210s still supported under Mavericks? Any other super-low-end, single-slot cards?

...As to a video card ... for reasons of space and noise, I'd like to stick to something much more lower end than the Titan. Are GT210s still supported under Mavericks? Any other super-low-end, single-slot cards?
:lol: I, too, don't want or need something like a $300-1,500 graphics card.

In the beginning, when we were trying to get the 9-series working, I was using a HD 6450 AMD/ATI card that I had sitting around. The 6450 worked with the default GraphicsEnabler=No that MultiBeast uses as its default.

Asus ATI Radeon HD6450 Silence 1 GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI Low Profile PCI-Express Video Card
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004X8EO6Q/

Here's a GT 210 (only $10 USD less than the 6450). You'll need to use GraphicsEnabler=Yes with it.

EVGA GeForce 210 Passive 1024 MB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA Graphics Card, 01G-P3-1313-KR
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KABG1I/

However, when I look at the Tom's Hardware Graphics Card Performance Hierarchy Chart, the 6450 is one "tier" above Intel's Integrated Graphics HD4000 while the GT 210 is seven tiers below HD4000! So, IMO, you'll get more bang for your buck if you go with the 6450. :thumbup:

TRIM Enabler has been update to version 3.2.4. TRIM Enabler can be used until MultiBeast is updated for 10.9.4. TRIM Enabler is free for use; the $10 Pro version gets you SMART monitoring, benchmarking and "OS X tweaks that can further improve performance."

:lol: I, too, don't want or need something like a $300-1,500 graphics card.

In the beginning, when we were trying to get the 9-series working, I was using a HD 6450 AMD/ATI card that I had sitting around. The 6450 worked with the default GraphicsEnabler=No that MultiBeast uses as its default.

Asus ATI Radeon HD6450 Silence 1 GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI Low Profile PCI-Express Video Card
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004X8EO6Q/

Here's a GT 210 (only $10 USD less than the 6450). You'll need to use GraphicsEnabler=Yes with it.

EVGA GeForce 210 Passive 1024 MB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA Graphics Card, 01G-P3-1313-KR
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KABG1I/

However, when I look at the Tom's Hardware Graphics Card Performance Hierarchy Chart, the 6450 is one "tier" above Intel's Integrated Graphics HD4000 while the GT 210 is seven tiers below HD4000! So, IMO, you'll get more bang for your buck if you go with the 6450. :thumbup:

Thank you for the excellent suggestions. As it happens, in another thread toleda informs me that Mac OS X does not output 1440p over anything other than Displayport. I've been looking for a 6450 with a Displayport or miniDP for a few hours now without luck. For reasons of power and space (I have a 220W SFF PSU and only enough space for a single-slot card), I've not found a supported card with DP or miniDP. Sadly, I think I'm going to have to call it a night on the great Hackintosh experiment; I've ordered a Mini and it'll be here tomorrow, UPS willing. I have until Friday to return the mobo and processor without incurring a penalty, so I'll searching until then; please let me know if you have any other suggestions for no-fuss single-slot graphics cards.

I've been looking for a 6450 with a Displayport or miniDP for a few hours now without luck.
The lowest price graphics card with DP is the Sapphire HD 7750 Low Profile, however, supply is very limited. I have one and recommend it highly. Issue, requires UEFI boot.

Turbo Boost is the problem. With Turbo Boost disabled, the system boots in <8 seconds.

For me that didn't work but actually enabling instead auto sped it up. I'm down to ~11sec but that video noise is still a 30sec wait. I've concluded its my HP monitor. It only has HDMI connection, and maybe its not compatible/communicating with board HDMI? who knows. I do know when I plug in an older DVI problem gone. the weirdest thing it even fixed my weird USB keyboard function. I have no idea why HDMI may cause that but tested several times. With HDMI I need to hit key twice before responds. With DVI normal:crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back