Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Does anyone have any experience removing and running a MacBook Pro(early 2011) in another case or outside the case?

I am trying to find info on what is necessary to operate the motherboard, ie does the cpu fan have to be plugged in to boot, other required connected peripherals,etc.?

I looked for a service manual but I cannot find any and I don't see any videos or links to people who have done this with a MacBook Pro (a bunch of pc laptops).

I did it years ago with a powerbook motherboard in an LC II case. It's not that complicated. As long as you have the heatsinks on everything and have a couple of blower fans cooling the motherboard, it should run cooler than it ever did in a macbook. If the factory fans work, leave them on it. You should just be able to ignore the internal connections. Use the USB for keyboard and mouse, use the external monitor port to run your monitor. There have been plenty of ebay macbooks with failed screens, keyboards, and trackpads that still worked with external peripherals.

You will just have to identify the power on pads if you are not using the top panel w/kb.

Non-Pro Macbook built into an HP thin client
HTPC macbook

DSC00470-pwr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back