Contribute
Register

E6520, Sierra, want to disable Optimus in BIOS & MacOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
MY SYSTEM:
E6520, A19 BIOS, Nvidia NVS400M/Intel HD3000 dual link graphics, 8GB RAM, AR9485 WiFi, Sierra 10.12.6

As the title says, I want to be able to boot and run MacOS on my Latitude E6520 with Optimus turned OFF in the BIOS and the Nvidia chip turned off while MacOS is running to reduce heat, noise, and battery consumption.

Needs to be off in BIOS and booting so that I can reboot to Windows without having to change my BIOS settings every time I do so. Currently will only boot with Optimus ON in BIOS.

I currently have Sierra installed, trackpad (basic functions) audio, keyboard backlight, lcd brightness (not perfectly), and wifi are all working. Restart is working, Sleep will only cut the display off, closing the laptop does nothing, and Shut Down doesn't seem to be working properly.

There is a lot of information here, but none of it is for the novice and every guide I've read through requires more than a novice's knowledge.

I disassembled the DSDT that boots my system, found _INI and _OFF, but they are not as simple as in the example, assuming because of the dual linking of the Intel HD3000 and Nvidia.

My current, booting and working EFI is included in the post, my system is in my signature. if you need more info please let me know, and thank you to anyone who can help.

[I will require hand holding for all things related to DSDT modding, config.plist editing/modding; you have been warned]

Attachments

• current_EFI.zip
    11.2 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:
MY SYSTEM:
E6520, A19 BIOS, Nvidia NVS400M/Intel HD3000 dual link graphics, 8GB RAM, AR9485 WiFi, Sierra 10.12.6

As the title says, I want to be able to boot and run MacOS on my Latitude E6520 with Optimus turned OFF in the BIOS and the Nvidia chip turned off while MacOS is running to reduce heat, noise, and battery consumption.

Needs to be off in BIOS and booting so that I can reboot to Windows without having to change my BIOS settings every time I do so. Currently will only boot with Optimus ON in BIOS.

I currently have Sierra installed, trackpad (basic functions) audio, keyboard backlight, lcd brightness (not perfectly), and wifi are all working. Restart is working, Sleep will only cut the display off, closing the laptop does nothing, and Shut Down doesn't seem to be working properly.

There is a lot of information here, but none of it is for the novice and every guide I've read through requires more than a novice's knowledge.

I disassembled the DSDT that boots my system, found _INI and _OFF, but they are not as simple as in the example, assuming because of the dual linking of the Intel HD3000 and Nvidia.

My current, booting and working EFI is included in the post, my system is in my signature. if you need more info please let me know, and thank you to anyone who can help.

[I will require hand holding for all things related to DSDT modding, config.plist editing/modding; you have been warned]

If you're asking how to disable Nvidia with ACPI, read here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-disabling-discrete-graphics-in-dual-gpu-laptops.232988/

you obviously didn't read my post.

thanks for nothing. already been over that guide as my original post says.

I read it, but you provided no details on your issue.
Your ACPI/origin files have nothing unusual...
_OFF is in SSDT-3-NvdTabl.aml, it has no EC access, no existing _INI, so just add an _INI right before _OFF:
Code:
Method(_INI) { _OFF() }

Note: If the ECS4 call at the end of _OFF poses a problem, move it to _REG as per guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back