Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
I have a Dell E6400

I would post a speccy output for the laptop, but I've blown away the disk using diskpart. (if this is needed I can do a quick install)

Having read through the various guides...

virtually everything is either removed or disabled, I'm trying the iBoot + Retail DVD method

I've tried iBoot 2.7.2 Legacy and 3.30, MAC OS X V10.6.3 on DVD bought from Apple

Following the iBoot procedure I get the following results when pressing enter at the boot prompt with the Snow Leopard DVD in the drive.

Tried
just hitting enter...
after 10-15 seconds gets to grey "Apple" screen, hdd and DVD activity ceases, install hangs

Tried
-x
black screen with hdd and DVD activity goes on for 60 seconds + followed by grey "Apple" scree, hdd and DVD activity ceases, install hangs

Tried
PCIRootUID=1
after 10-15 seconds gets to grey "Apple" screen, hdd and DVD activity ceases, install hangs

Tried
PCIRootUID=1 -x
black screen with hdd and DVD activity goes on for 60 seconds + followed by grey "Apple" scree, hdd and DVD activity ceases, install hangs

Tried
GraphicsEnabler=No

There are a number of reports I've found which indicate that laptop should be able to run OS X, most if not all are using later versions of OS X loaded using Uniboot, but as I haven't got a "proper" MAC I can't download any of them.

I'm very now at OS X, but have worked with Windows PC's and hardware for years, I've a feeling I've missed something which "should" be obvious.

Can someone help a newbie please?

Regards,

Brian

Thread moved from Snow Leopard Desktop Support

I have a Dell E6400

I would post a speccy output for the laptop, but I've blown away the disk using diskpart. (if this is needed I can do a quick install)

Having read through the various guides...

virtually everything is either removed or disabled, I'm trying the iBoot + Retail DVD method

I've tried iBoot 2.7.2 Legacy and 3.30, MAC OS X V10.6.3 on DVD bought from Apple

Following the iBoot procedure I get the following results when pressing enter at the boot prompt with the Snow Leopard DVD in the drive.

Tried
just hitting enter...

Tried
-x

Tried
PCIRootUID=1

Tried
PCIRootUID=1 -x

Tried
GraphicsEnabler=No

There are a number of reports I've found which indicate that laptop should be able to run OS X, most if not all are using later versions of OS X loaded using Uniboot, but as I haven't got a "proper" MAC I can't download any of them.

I'm very now at OS X, but have worked with Windows PC's and hardware for years, I've a feeling I've missed something which "should" be obvious.

Can someone help a newbie please?

Regards,

Brian

Boot verbose for troubleshooting...

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Thanks mods for moving post to correct forum...

I've now updated my profile with some of the details from CPU-Z

Please advise how to "Boot Verbose" please... I really am a newbie at this

Regards,

Brian

I've saved the output of CPU-Z and Speccy as text files so I have lots more info about my system

Thanks mods for moving post to correct forum...

I've now updated my profile with some of the details from CPU-Z

Please advise how to "Boot Verbose" please... I really am a newbie at this

Regards,

Brian

I've saved the output of CPU-Z and Speccy as text files so I have lots more info about my system

What is the graphics chip on your laptop? If it is GMA 4500MHD (seems likely), you should know that no version of OS X supports that chip.

Thanks for that RehabMan,

My laptop is the bargain basement E6400, it has the Intel GM45 Integrated graphics. There were IIRC a number of graphics options with this model, mine would be the cheapest.

Does that rule my laptop out?

I've discovered verbose mode -v (thanks to Google) but I could be wasting my time.

Regards

Brian

Thanks for that RehabMan,

My laptop is the bargain basement E6400, it has the Intel GM45 Integrated graphics. There were IIRC a number of graphics options with this model, mine would be the cheapest.

Does that rule my laptop out?

I've discovered verbose mode -v (thanks to Google) but I could be wasting my time.

Regards

Brian

Time to get a new laptop...

Thanks again RehabMan,

Searching for the successful installs, it does appear that the E6400's running OS X are the more upmarket ones with the optional graphics card, I didn't realise that the graphics setup was so critical.
it's no loss really as laptop didn't cost much. Next plan is to build a desktop out of the list of known working parts, starting with a Gigabyte motherboard.

Regards,

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back