Graphics
Intel Integrated 4600 HD 1280 X1024
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
I have a Dell E6400

I would post a speccy output for the laptop, but I've blown away the disk using diskpart. (if this is needed I can do a quick install)

Having read through the various guides...

virtually everything is either removed or disabled, I'm trying the iBoot + Retail DVD method

I've tried iBoot 2.7.2 Legacy and 3.30, MAC OS X V10.6.3 on DVD bought from Apple

Following the iBoot procedure I get the following results when pressing enter at the boot prompt with the Snow Leopard DVD in the drive.

Tried
just hitting enter...
after 10-15 seconds gets to grey "Apple" screen, hdd and DVD activity ceases, install hangs

Tried
-x
black screen with hdd and DVD activity goes on for 60 seconds + followed by grey "Apple" scree, hdd and DVD activity ceases, install hangs

Tried
PCIRootUID=1
after 10-15 seconds gets to grey "Apple" screen, hdd and DVD activity ceases, install hangs

Tried
PCIRootUID=1 -x
black screen with hdd and DVD activity goes on for 60 seconds + followed by grey "Apple" scree, hdd and DVD activity ceases, install hangs

Tried
GraphicsEnabler=No

There are a number of reports I've found which indicate that laptop should be able to run OS X, most if not all are using later versions of OS X loaded using Uniboot, but as I haven't got a "proper" MAC I can't download any of them.

I'm very now at OS X, but have worked with Windows PC's and hardware for years, I've a feeling I've missed something which "should" be obvious.

Can someone help a newbie please?

Regards,

Brian

P1LGRIM

Motherboard
Lenovo ThinkStation p300 ⌘
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thread moved from Snow Leopard Desktop Support

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a Dell E6400

I would post a speccy output for the laptop, but I've blown away the disk using diskpart. (if this is needed I can do a quick install)

Having read through the various guides...

virtually everything is either removed or disabled, I'm trying the iBoot + Retail DVD method

I've tried iBoot 2.7.2 Legacy and 3.30, MAC OS X V10.6.3 on DVD bought from Apple

Following the iBoot procedure I get the following results when pressing enter at the boot prompt with the Snow Leopard DVD in the drive.

Tried
just hitting enter...

Tried
-x

Tried
PCIRootUID=1

Tried
PCIRootUID=1 -x

Tried
GraphicsEnabler=No

There are a number of reports I've found which indicate that laptop should be able to run OS X, most if not all are using later versions of OS X loaded using Uniboot, but as I haven't got a "proper" MAC I can't download any of them.

I'm very now at OS X, but have worked with Windows PC's and hardware for years, I've a feeling I've missed something which "should" be obvious.

Can someone help a newbie please?

Regards,

Brian

Boot verbose for troubleshooting...

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H (rev 1.1) F7 bios
CPU
Intel i5 - 4460 @ 3.2Ghz
Graphics
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Thanks mods for moving post to correct forum...

I've now updated my profile with some of the details from CPU-Z

Please advise how to "Boot Verbose" please... I really am a newbie at this

Regards,

Brian

I've saved the output of CPU-Z and Speccy as text files so I have lots more info about my system

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks mods for moving post to correct forum...

I've now updated my profile with some of the details from CPU-Z

Please advise how to "Boot Verbose" please... I really am a newbie at this

Regards,

Brian

I've saved the output of CPU-Z and Speccy as text files so I have lots more info about my system

What is the graphics chip on your laptop? If it is GMA 4500MHD (seems likely), you should know that no version of OS X supports that chip.

Motherboard
CPU
Intel i5 - 4460 @ 3.2Ghz
Graphics
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Thanks for that RehabMan,

My laptop is the bargain basement E6400, it has the Intel GM45 Integrated graphics. There were IIRC a number of graphics options with this model, mine would be the cheapest.

Does that rule my laptop out?

I've discovered verbose mode -v (thanks to Google) but I could be wasting my time.

Regards

Brian

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks for that RehabMan,

My laptop is the bargain basement E6400, it has the Intel GM45 Integrated graphics. There were IIRC a number of graphics options with this model, mine would be the cheapest.

Does that rule my laptop out?

I've discovered verbose mode -v (thanks to Google) but I could be wasting my time.

Regards

Brian

Time to get a new laptop...

Motherboard
CPU
Intel i5 - 4460 @ 3.2Ghz
Graphics
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Thanks again RehabMan,

Searching for the successful installs, it does appear that the E6400's running OS X are the more upmarket ones with the optional graphics card, I didn't realise that the graphics setup was so critical.
it's no loss really as laptop didn't cost much. Next plan is to build a desktop out of the list of known working parts, starting with a Gigabyte motherboard.

Regards,

Brian