Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
H110M-R
CPU
i7-7700
Graphics
RX 580
Hi guys, I've got a DWA-111 b/g wireless NIC and I'm having some problems with it, in the system profiler app, when I look under USB devices; my USB dongle is shown and is detected by OSX (as shown with the attached image), but when I go to the network section in the OSX settings, I can't seem to add a Wi-Fi connection.

I've tried the Ralink wireless utility (the DWA-111 has a Ralink chipset) but it doesn't seem to want to work in Yosemite.

Thanks in advance - the hackintosh community is indebted to you :)

View attachment DWA-111.tiff

(this is the screenshot above, it's a hyperlink)

Hi guys, I've got a DWA-111 b/g wireless NIC and I'm having some problems with it, in the system profiler app, when I look under USB devices; my USB dongle is shown and is detected by OSX (as shown with the attached image), but when I go to the network section in the OSX settings, I can't seem to add a Wi-Fi connection.

I've tried the Ralink wireless utility (the DWA-111 has a Ralink chipset) but it doesn't seem to want to work in Yosemite.

Thanks in advance - the hackintosh community is indebted to you :)

View attachment 136521

(this is the screenshot above, it's a hyperlink)

USB WiFi is accomplished with drivers that look like Ethernet. Apple does not document their WiFi driver interfaces.

Pardon me for my lack of understanding, but if the drivers are made to look like Ethernet, when Ralink/dlink published their drivers for this antiquated piece of kit for 10.3 (only proprietary drivers I could find), did they use that model (Ethernet model), but I still don't understand how this affects its functioning, are you saying that this is a driver produced by apple, and there is not documentation or source available to help ?

Pardon me for my lack of understanding, but if the drivers are made to look like Ethernet, when Ralink/dlink published their drivers for this antiquated piece of kit for 10.3 (only proprietary drivers I could find), did they use that model (Ethernet model), but I still don't understand how this affects its functioning, are you saying that this is a driver produced by apple, and there is not documentation or source available to help ?

It means that when you add a USB WiFi device in SysPrefs->Network [+], they will show as Ethernet, because to OS X, that's what they are. And it is why all USB WiFi devices have their own user interface (for selecting SSID, entering password, etc) and don't use the native facilities built-in. They can't as those driver interfaces are not documented by Apple.

That said, no idea if your USB WiFi device is currently supported. Check the manufacturer website for current drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back