Contribute
Register

DW1830 Bluetooth not available (power saving issue?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my Lenovo Thinkpad x250 I have the same problem: Bluetooth works fine when AC is attached, but without AC on battery no Bluetooth hardware is available.

I have in /L/E/
- BrcmFirmwareData
- BrcmPatchRAM2

Exactly the same issue on a Thinkpad X260. This on the latest bios (1.43), freshly patched ACPI files per the guide, properly mapped USB ports and USB power properties and everything else working perfectly.

This appears to be a particular issue with the BCM20703A1 revision. I see on thedarkvoid's repo the latest update to the old BrcmPatchRam notes state 'BCM20703A1 fix'.

I have tried loading various firmwares from .414 all the way up to .481, which I found on a newer driver (latest is .422 on RehabMan's repo). The behaviour is the same: the firmware loads correctly after sleep only on AC power.

On battery, wake results in the device detected as BCM2045A0 and it disconnects when attempting to use it or by itself after a few minutes.

The device only works properly when detected as BCM920703. Why that happens... I have no idea.

Hello,
I have High Sierra 10.13.3 on my Dell XPS 13 9350. I have the DW1830 Wifi Card with BCM2045 Bluetooth.
After Sleep Bluetooth works for about 2-3 minutes then, if no device is attached it get's "disconnected" (in ioreg device disappears).
View attachment 314817

If a device is attached right after sleep, then Bluetooth works with no issue, but the same problem appears after 2-3 minutes the device disconnects.
If I have Apple AirPods connected, while the earphones are still in my ear, BT works (even if no audio is played). If I remove a headphone, and no sound is played in the other, BT probably goes into low-power state and after 2-3 minutes it's not available. A sleep-power cycle fixes it, but the problem is the same.
So, I assume issue is related to low power BT state. I attach a ioreg with the Bluetooth still working (connected on USB HS03) and everything needed from Problem Reporting. If you need something else let me know!

Also, for reference, in this Thread they are discussing about it too (on XPS 9360): https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...a-10-12-x-lts-long-term-support-guide.213141/
@ZombieBest I experienced the same issue with the DW1830 as you did. Thought the issue was with my card and replaced it with another DW1830 and had the same issue. One thing I found was that if I just had Bluetooth on with no devices connected, BT would not drop

@ZombieBest I think I might have found the solution to the DW1830 drop out issue on my XPS 9560. Perhaps this would work with your machine? Can you please post your latest kext folder from /L/E?

On my Lenovo Thinkpad x250 I have the same problem: Bluetooth works fine when AC is attached, but without AC on battery no Bluetooth hardware is available.

I have in /L/E/
- BrcmFirmwareData
- BrcmPatchRAM2
Shouldn't you use BrcmFirmwareRepo instead of BcrmFirmwareData?

@ZombieBest I think I might have found the solution to the DW1830 drop out issue on my XPS 9560. Perhaps this would work with your machine? Can you please post your latest kext folder from /L/E?
Hi, so what's the solution? I have the same problem

@manuelnyc I am have a 9560 this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...smc-i2c-trackpad-clover-uefi-hotpatch.263567/ My DW1830 was dropping out so someone one here did not have the same drop out issues: https://github.com/Xigtun/xps-9570-mojave/issues/26 Please read the comments and there will be instruction on what to do. I would unload each BRCM related kext in L/E and reset permissions and reboot each time. Upon reboot, turn off BT if it turns back on by itself. Also remove the bluetooth plist file.

I have in /L/E/
- BrcmFirmwareData
- BrcmPatchRAM2
@Gymnae try putting BrcmRepoData in /L/E/ instead of BrcmFirmware Data. My BT does drop out in my XPS 9560. However, it turns "back on" if I close the lid, causing it to sleep, then opening it a few mins later. I know this is not a solution. But, hopefully, it will be a step in the direction of figuring out how to resolve this once and for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back