Contribute
Register

DVD drive randomly spinning up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Happens with me as well, and mine is "HP DVD Writer 1270d". Don't know what to do to fix the issue :(

:?: Mine ist doin' it too: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 FW: TN01

damn!

doesnt worry me too much though.. :beachball:

qd

@Tony: Time to open a dedicated page in the Wiki for Problematic Optical Drives ?

Lnx2Mac said:
@Tony: Time to open a dedicated page in the Wiki for Problematic Optical Drives ?

I support this idea. Nice way for people to avoid those drives.

I have an ASUS DRW-24B1ST and is also randomly spinning up ...

I'm having the same issue, and my model # is the HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS50, as others have said they have.

I can happily report that as long as there's a disc in the drive it will NOT spin up unless you access the disc in the drive.

My friend and I might get a Samsung drive to replace it, but it really doesn't bother me that much. We'll have to see what we do (he's coming out to visit from Denver, CO and we're gonna rebuild the system, since when I built it I wired it horribly though it works fine).

Shiggitay said:
I'm having the same issue, and my model # is the HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS50, as others have said they have.

I can happily report that as long as there's a disc in the drive it will NOT spin up unless you access the disc in the drive.

My friend and I might get a Samsung drive to replace it, but it really doesn't bother me that much. We'll have to see what we do (he's coming out to visit from Denver, CO and we're gonna rebuild the system, since when I built it I wired it horribly though it works fine).
Don't go with a Samsung they are problematic too.

MacMan said:
Shiggitay said:

Okay, then which drive is the LEAST problematic? A Sony like Tony (lol) has?

Shiggitay said:
MacMan said:
Shiggitay said:

Okay, then which drive is the LEAST problematic? A Sony like Tony (lol) has?
Yep, seems many Sony-Optiarcs are OK.

Okay. How much do they run for? I'll pick one up at MicroCenter when my friend and I go there in about a month.

EDIT: My friend says that Samsung drives should be ok.... I'm confused...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back