Contribute
Register

Duplicate Clover EFI boot loaders within BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
This method is for using a legacy boot loader. I do not want to use this. I want to use an EFI boot loader such as clover.

Principal is the same. Best is to use a USB flash drive and install Clover to it. Get the config.plist and everything else working correctly and it is booting to the drive.

Open terminal, use diskutil list to ID the drives. You should see your HDD, your individual RAID0 drives and your combined RAID0 drive.

Clone your HDD install to the combined RAID0 drive with CCC or SuperDuper or your favorite clone program.

Install Clover to each of the individual RAID0 drives, one at a time. when you install Clover, it mounts the EFI partition. Open the partition in finder and copy the EFI folder from your USB drive to the EFI partition of each of the RAID0 drives.

Once you have completed this you can eject the USB, reboot, and select the RAID0 icon at the Clover boot screen.

I don't want to clone my current install. I tried to delete all the EFI partitions on the three drives, and reinstall clover to the HDD. However, this hasn't solved the issue within the BIOS. Despite only having ONE installed clover to ONE EFI partition, there are still several clover boot options within the BIOS. I have read that the only way to rid these is to flash the BIOS with an update. I will attempt this and report back to see if it does solve the issue.

Just to update, despite only having clover installed on only ONE EFI partition, the booting is still random, sometimes working perfect, others it kernel panics or just shows a blank screen.

I don't want to clone my current install. I tried to delete all the EFI partitions on the three drives, and reinstall clover to the HDD. However, this hasn't solved the issue within the BIOS. Despite only having ONE installed clover to ONE EFI partition, there are still several clover boot options within the BIOS. I have read that the only way to rid these is to flash the BIOS with an update. I will attempt this and report back to see if it does solve the issue.

Just to update, despite only having clover installed on only ONE EFI partition, the booting is still random, sometimes working perfect, others it kernel panics or just shows a blank screen.
Any time you have several drives in RAID0 array, each and every drive within the array must have the boot loader installed, whether to EFI partition or Legacy - makes no difference.

This is why you are getting random results with only one drive having Clover installed. If you get lucky, the array presents the boot drive to the BIOS and you have no problem. If you are unlucky, the array presents one of the other drives and you get a Boot0 error or a "Install a bootable system drive and restart" notice from the BIOS.

One thing you can try, and I don't know if it will work with Clover or not, is to get the uuid of the drive with Clover installed to the EFI and add this to the boot flags in Clover

rd=uuid boot-uuid= (and put your Clover boot drive uuid here)

I still don't think this will work, because normally you have the boot loader installed to all drives and the uuid you use this way is the concatenated array uuid, not one from a single drive within it.

Any time you have several drives in RAID0 array, each and every drive within the array must have the boot loader installed, whether to EFI partition or Legacy - makes no difference.

I think you might be wrong when it comes to the EFI boot loader. To resolve my issues, I had to update the BIOS of my MOBO, which cleared all the "CLOVER BOOT...." etc from the boot list, and presented me with only the 'real' boot options available to me.

I then created a standard uni-beast usb which booted me into the raid drive. Once there, I reformatted all the EFI partitions on all the drives, and then installed clover onto the HDD drive. I then restarted the machine and set the boot to the HDD EFI partition. Once there, the clover boot screen presented the RAID0 OS as a boot option, and all works.

I carried out multiple restarts to check that the start up process was stable. Then, under the 'boot' option in clover configurator, under default boot volume, I entered "LastBootedVolume".

Now, on startup, I don't even see the clover boot screen and it enters directly into the OS X. I assume this would be slightly slower then if Clover was on one of the SSD partitions, but this would be fractional as the EFI boot loader is extremely small.

Thank you both for you help and support.

Will

I think you might be wrong when it comes to the EFI boot loader. To resolve my issues, I had to update the BIOS of my MOBO, which cleared all the "CLOVER BOOT...." etc from the boot list, and presented me with only the 'real' boot options available to me.

I then created a standard uni-beast usb which booted me into the raid drive. Once there, I reformatted all the EFI partitions on all the drives, and then installed clover onto the HDD drive. I then restarted the machine and set the boot to the HDD EFI partition. Once there, the clover boot screen presented the RAID0 OS as a boot option, and all works.

I carried out multiple restarts to check that the start up process was stable. Then, under the 'boot' option in clover configurator, under default boot volume, I entered "LastBootedVolume".

Now, on startup, I don't even see the clover boot screen and it enters directly into the OS X. I assume this would be slightly slower then if Clover was on one of the SSD partitions, but this would be fractional as the EFI boot loader is extremely small.

Thank you both for you help and support.

Will
I was under the impression the EFI partition you were installing Clover to was one of the drives in the RAID0 array.
If you RAID SSDs and then put Clover on a HDD, then it is the same as booting the array from a USB. You do not need to install Clover to any of the SSD EFI partitions.

I was under the impression the EFI partition you were installing Clover to was one of the drives in the RAID0 array.
If you RAID SSDs and then put Clover on a HDD, then it is the same as booting the array from a USB. You do not need to install Clover to any of the SSD EFI partitions.

Yes I hadn't thought of it like that. To save the confusion I thought it might be a more straight forward solution than having two EFI installs on two separate drives.

Still a little concerned about the effect Clover had on my MOBO BIOS. Anyway, all fixed now!! TY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back