Contribute
Register

Dualboot Windows 8.1 Pro with Mac OS X Yosemite - GA-Z77X-UD5H

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, windows + mountain lion is simple, both are MBR partition
Yosemite must install on GPT partition. Here the fun begins.
I do not have UEFI motherboard. Now I boot from USB but sometimes is stuck,
and I work on a solution to make simple bootloader with just two options:
OS X Yosemite and Windows 8.1. (I prefer to use Windows bootloader first)
If you read http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html carefully, you will note the OS X drive is formatted GUID as OS X Extended (Journaled) - not MBR. The Windows drive is formatted MBR.

If installing on same drive, same thing - GUID/OS X Extended (Journaled) for OS X partition, hybrid GUID/MBR partition created when you format the second partition MSDOS FAT for instaling Windows.

If it is not working for you - than you are skipping steps or something, because that guide is time tested and works on any socket 775/1156/1366 board - all non UEFI boards. Also works on any other board if you disable UEFI and set it for Legacy BIOS booting.

If using separate drives, then single Windows icon is easy to achieve - use your favorite disk management tool, even the Windows one if you have a Windows machine handy and format your entire drive as MBR NTFS (note that you must partition large drives over 2TB to format the drive MBR - MBR has a limit of one byte less that 2TB in drive size.) Then, when you boot with the Windows Install media and hit the hot key (F8/F10/F12 depending on mainboard) to select a boot device, make sure you select the non-UEFI USB or DVD Windows installer.

is unplugging the OSX drive neccessary to install Windows after installing OSX?

is unplugging the OSX drive neccessary to install Windows after installing OSX?
Not absolutely required, but highly recommended. Sometimes during the install/reboot process of Windows the presence of a different drive in front of the Windows drive in boot order causes the install to fail and gives you error codes. Best to just err on the safe side and disconnect ALL other drives and install Windows with just the one Windows-to-be drive connected.

Hi Everyone,
I have the same problem with the Dualboot, i can't figure out how to do it. Always when i want to Boot into Windows, i should press the hot key F12 and to choose the drive, from Clover menu i see all my drives, but for nothing because i can't boot in windows.
I was reading your tutorial Going Bald, but I'm using Clover, and i still did not found some hints how i can make the DualBoot with Clover..

Hi Everyone,
I have the same problem with the Dualboot, i can't figure out how to do it. Always when i want to Boot into Windows, i should press the hot key F12 and to choose the drive, from Clover menu i see all my drives, but for nothing because i can't boot in windows.
I was reading your tutorial Going Bald, but I'm using Clover, and i still did not found some hints how i can make the DualBoot with Clover..

On UEFI mainboard using Clover EFI as boot loader install Windows on GPT formatted drive in UEFI mode also.

I made 2 partitions 1st with osx journaled and 2nd with fat and selected GUID map. first i installed yosemite on 1st drive then windows 10 on second drive and then again i booted with osx and installed chimera bootloader but still system show the bootloader initializing and then automatically start booting windows. i don't know why. but if i have yosemite boot able usb plugged in then bootloader show the boot menu with usb , osx and windows icons and at that time i can boot anywhere but selecting. but without usb plugged in it boots to windows automatically and this killing me. any help please. i think it is windiows 8.1 and windows 10 issue because with windows 7 and osx everything is fine.

I made 2 partitions 1st with osx journaled and 2nd with fat and selected GUID map. first i installed yosemite on 1st drive then windows 10 on second drive and then again i booted with osx and installed chimera bootloader but still system show the bootloader initializing and then automatically start booting windows. i don't know why. but if i have yosemite boot able usb plugged in then bootloader show the boot menu with usb , osx and windows icons and at that time i can boot anywhere but selecting. but without usb plugged in it boots to windows automatically and this killing me. any help please. i think it is windiows 8.1 and windows 10 issue because with windows 7 and osx everything is fine.

You're doing this on your Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H desktop board?

If not, your post is off-topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back