Contribute
Register

Dual Xeon Motherboard Recommendations 01.2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
@davidahn try to disable Hyperthreading as you are using 64 Logical cores with these Processors and Mac OS X doesn't support more than 32 Logical cores as far as I know ... Also try MacPro5,1 SMBios or MacPro6,1 and I would recommend clover because you might need the HaswellE Patch (onthefly)

EDIT: Forgot that 2699v3s have 18 cores so Limit the CPUs to 16 each and turn off Hyperthreading

Nikezzz I notice from your tag that you have a Z9PE-D8 WS with two Xeon E5 2600s V2 with a GTX 780.
I too have a similar setup but can't seem to figure out what I am doing incorrectly, I am trying to install Mavericks or Yosemite.
Is it possible for you help?

I created a Hackintosh build using a Super Micro X9SRA board and another build from a Gigabyte GA-7PESH3 board. Maverick can be installed using Chameleon/Chimera. However for Yosemite you will need to use Clover. Make sure that you have vt-d disabled in the bios. Both BIOS's Support EFI/UEFI. Using EUFI makes booting graphic card use more stable for me. I tested the AMD R9 290x, AMD 5870, and the NVIDEO 770.

If you run into any snags or have any questions... let me know. I may be tempted to make a R3 Dual Xeon monster myself.

Hello There! Any update? successed build ? Cheers!

I'm building a monster dual Xeon (E5-2699 v3) setup with an EATX modified Lian-Li case. Any recommendations on the best motherboard for the task? With this chip, which performs very well on benchmarks, I need a 10th gen (Haswell EP) LGA2011 v3 (Socket R3) motherboard. So the options I'm considering are:

Asus Z10PE-D8 WS or Z10PE-D16
Supermicro X10XXX (so many options!)
Gigabyte doesn't seem to have a dual-Socket R3 motherboard

I've seen posts here about successful builds based on Asus Z9PE motherboards and Supermicro X9XXX motherboards, so I'm hopeful. Any suggestions? Am I missing a good option?

Thanks in advance.

David

The Supermicro DAX motherboards are the ones that are overclockable to the safe maximum limit (x1.0755% in the case of the Sandy/Ivy bridge DAX motherboards and x1.05% for the Haswell DAX motherboard) for post-Westmere Xeons. Other post-Westmere Supermicro motherboards can't be over-clocked directly. One can simulate a degree of rough over-clocking on other Supermicro motherboards (as well as other manufacturers' post-Westmere Xeon motherboards) by tweaking the CPU Power Management Configuration parameters (namely - the Long and Short Duration Power Limits and the Long Duration Maintained) and enabling EIST, Turbo Mode, C1E, and leave CPU C3 Report disabled, but enable the other reports and set the Package C-State limit to "No Limit."

I had done a build of a hugh MacPro Dual CPU with a SuperMicro Board. Mine is running quite well with 2 x 4 Core CPUs, but a friend of mine did a build with 2 x 8 Core CPUs. 2 x 8 Cores = 16 + HT = 32 Cores. Mac OS Yosemite won't run that many cores. He's only able to run without HyperThreading. The limit is the 12core single CPU in an actual MacPro. If you would like to build a system, use either 1 CPU with 12 cores or 2 x 6 Cores which is enough, but get them with high rate.

would you mind sharing infos on your 32 core build?

Since i am in the boat for a dual socket xenon build as well i'd appreciate information on the project.

Do you guys have some intel on the PLX controller behavior regarding maximum PCI-e slots?
I'm wondering if they're fully compatible. As well as it might be interesting to see wether they're supported or not for 16x8x8x8x8x8x on Asus X99-E WS for instance. Thanks for input!

Best

would you mind sharing infos on your 32 core build?

Here is the barebones system: http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=SY-847R7FT ( Supermicro SuperServer SYS-8047R-7RFT+ Quad LGA2011 1400W 4U Rackmount/Tower Server Barebone System ). Among other things, each of my two Supermicro SuperServer SYS-8047R-7RFTs currently has 4xE5-4650s V.1 {equivalent to 4x2680s V.1}, 128G ram, 16T storage and a 240G OWC Mercury Accelsior PCI Express SSD for OSX. But I'm modifying them, as well as as my other systems, to be more GPU centric for 3d rendering. That means that I'll be installing two or three Amfeltec GPU Oriented Splitters to my 8047R-7RFTs so that I can install 8-12 CUDA cards for each of them to run Octane, Thea, Redshift3d and FurryBall GPU Renders. Moreover, I'm in the process of converting most of my systems to Linux since Linux supports the installation of many more WORKING GPUs than either MacOS or Windows [ https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=43597&start=180#p238270 ].

Last edited:
I have that exact same system, and I must tell you that it was the fastest thing most people have ever seen...until the new xeon-2699-v3's hit the shelves. Don't get me wrong, it still performs like a champ, but for the price/performance of 64 cores, a dual xeon e5-2699 blows it out of the water. As a matter of fact, any xeon e5-269x just kills my system. That said, this system runs like a beast on linux, and unix (FreeBSD), while on windows, the isn't that great. I would love to see OSX run on this system and utilizing all of the processing cores, but that is a far dream. If you get it working with OSX, please post how you did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back