Contribute
Register

Dual Xeon Motherboard Recommendations 01.2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought two ASUS Z10PE-D16/4L's. I'll try both as Hackintoshes, with two Xeon E5-2697 v4's and 64 GB of 2400 MHz RAM. Anyone have any insight on things to look out for with this or D16/WS (if it translates)?

They'd mostly be used as audio workstations. Not sure which graphics card to go for, but I'll try an XFX Radeon RX 480 8 GB card and if that doesn't work, a GTX 1060 card when they appear. ASUS GTX 970 or something as a last resort.

If used for audio, I'd ideally want UAD Apollo's connected through Thunderbolt, but can't figure out how to add that to this motherboard. ASUS Thunderbolt II EX isn't listed as compatible on ASUS' site, and I can't find any alternatives. Maybe I'll have to find a different motherboard, hopefully dual Xeon, with either onboard Thunderbolt or add-on card support. Maybe SuperMicro X10DAi and SuperMicro AOC-TBT-DSL5320?
Hey how's it going? Did you ever have any success with the Asus Z10PE series mobo?

I hope you did.
Thx.

I'm building a monster dual Xeon (E5-2699 v3) setup with an EATX modified Lian-Li case. Any recommendations on the best motherboard for the task? With this chip, which performs very well on benchmarks, I need a 10th gen (Haswell EP) LGA2011 v3 (Socket R3) motherboard. So the options I'm considering are:

Asus Z10PE-D8 WS or Z10PE-D16
Supermicro X10XXX (so many options!)
Gigabyte doesn't seem to have a dual-Socket R3 motherboard

I've seen posts here about successful builds based on Asus Z9PE motherboards and Supermicro X9XXX motherboards, so I'm hopeful. Any suggestions? Am I missing a good option?

Thanks in advance.

David
Hey, I see its been some time since you posted- have you had any luck? I might be going down a similar route...
[Edit: None of the thread replies/comments appeared before I posted. So ill just start reading those now...]

hey, whats going on?? did you successed???

I've back burnered this thing for a long time because I couldn't even load the Mac OS Installer... Just checked back in and I see progress has been made on dual Xeon setups (though I don't see any with my mobo, Supermicro X10DAX), and the lifting of the core limit sounds awesome. I'll try to work on it tonight and see how far I get.

What model motherboard did you use to receive the score above. Was it a dual mother board.

Thank you,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back