CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD 4000+GT 710
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
That was my fear, had a whole loads of problem with getting the m.2 install, took me months to get it installed in the first place. Maybe I should rethink or even give up. :(
As I said at the very beginning of this troubleshoot, two -disk- dual- boot of Windows and Hackintosh is better for the beginners until one learns the nuts and bolts of Clover EFI bootloader and Clover troubleshoot. Adding to the issue is the use of an NVM Express disk that needs a patch to install Sierra making the whole thing very complex.

One can always go back to a single disk dual boot system run from NVMe disk at a later date after watching the Forum troubleshooting such a system and learning from it.

With a lot of knowledge gap on the part of the person with the problem and the helper's inability to understand and appreciate that, both can feel frustrated in being unable to communicate in the same wavelength leading to disappointment. Unless both are willing and able to explain in boring detail, even repetitious, with ample illustrations to convey fully where words are inadequate, successful outcome in Forum troubleshoot is a rarity for this kind of problem.

Motherboard
MSI Z97 Gaming5
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
iMac
Ok, I vas asking for that.. and I can only apologise for being inadequate. I am doing my best to learn and try to read through forums before I do ask for help. Cant thank you enough for help given.
Sorry

Motherboard
HP Intel X58
CPU
3.2 Xeon quad core
Graphics
EVGA GT 740
If present, would a recovery drive help?

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD 4000+GT 710
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Ok, I vas asking for that.. and I can only apologise for being inadequate. I am doing my best to learn and try to read through forums before I do ask for help. Cant thank you enough for help given.
Sorry
  • If you really want to try installing successfully macOSSierra , get a simple SATA disk 250-500GB.
  • Use the Sierra Installer USB created in a Mac or hack using Unibeast method to install it on the above SATA disk.
  • Make the Sierra System Disk as boot #1 disk in Boot Option Priorities in the BIOS setup with all other required options for macOS Sierra to boot its Clover bootloader.
  • Set aside your NVMe disk entirely for Windows only.
  • For Windows 10, use a USB installer created in Rusfus in GPT Mode and NTFS Format while disconnecting the Previously created Sierra System disk.
  • Once Windows installation and update is completed , shut down the computer and make sure to connect Sierra System Disk back to its First SATA Port and make that the First boot device in Boot option Priorities in the BIOS.
  • Disable all other drives from BIOS Boot Option Priorities including your Windows system disk.
  • Clover EFI Bootloader in macOS Sierra's EFI Partition will see Windows 10 Installed in UEFI mode in its PCIE port.
  • On booting both system disks should be displayed in CBM screen.
  • You can choose either to its Login Screen
  • If you have any problem with this method , post with uploaded boot screen shots and a good description of the steps leading up to the problem boot screen.

Motherboard
MSI H81i
CPU
i5-4570
Graphics
RX 580
Sorry
Was your original problem of 'Win10 Stopped Booting To Clover' solved?

Motherboard
MSI H81i
CPU
i5-4570
Graphics
RX 580
two -disk- dual- boot of Windows and Hackintosh is better
OP is using only one disk
Make the Sierra System Disk as boot #1 disk in Boot Option Priorities
It is a necessary step to add the path to the Clover bootloader to the firmware menu because the Clover installer doesn't do this.
disconnecting the Previously created Sierra System disk
UEFI boots from paths not disks
make sure to connect Sierra System Disk
Legacy BIOS boots by disk, UEFI boots from paths
First boot device in Boot option Priorities
Firmware may look like it is booting by disk. It is not. It is booting from paths. Add the path to Clover to the boot menu.

Motherboard
MSI Z97 Gaming5
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
iMac
After have taking "Some" of the comments to hart, i have unfortunately now have to take the dissension to give up.
Even With my "Inability" and With a lot of knowledge gap managed to get a dual boot a NVMe system and have it to run OK for a long time. Thank you for all help given.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD 4000+GT 710
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
OP is using only one disk
It is a necessary step to add the path to the Clover bootloader to the firmware menu because the Clover installer doesn't do this.

UEFI boots from paths not disks

Legacy BIOS boots by disk, UEFI boots from paths

Firmware may look like it is booting by disk. It is not. It is booting from paths. Add the path to Clover to the boot menu.

Please try to help the OP to fix his dual boot problem.
As far as I know mixing macOS in UEFI and Windows in Legacy mode and running the 2 systems from a single hard disk from 2 separate partitions is not an easy task for most, especially those who have not done a lot of dual booting.

If you have an illustrated guide showing your special steps, please post that to help OP.

I have several computers I have built with different motherboards , CPUs and Graphics running triple boot setup running very well from separate hard disks. I have my own reasons to use separate hard disks for different Operating Systems. I also believe for newcomers to multi-boot that is much easier to set up and run.

I also know how to set up and run dual boot from separate partitions from a single disk using both systems using either legacy mode or UEFI mode. But, as I said, I prefer multi-disk multi-boot systems and I don't try to mix UEFI and Legacy boot from a Single disk because they are problem prone.

The steps needed to accomplish Single disk Dual boot Windows 10 and Mac OS system in UEFI mode that I use are as follows and the method works flawlessly for me.
  1. Create a macOS Sierra installer USB Flash disk using Tonymac Unibeast method.
  2. Take that Sierra USB Installer disk to the Computer (with OS X /MacOS compatible hardware) you want to create a Single disk separate Partitions Hackintosh_windows 10 Dual boot System.
  3. Disconnect all the hard disks from that Computer connecting only a Single SATA HDD or SATA SSD or NVMe disk as the target for installing the 2 systems. This is to avoid a lot of confusion in Disk utility screen with too many disks with similar sounding brand names. Remember NVMe needs additional steps so not a good idea for the beginners.
  4. Remove all the USB devices except Keyboard, Mouse and the Sierra USB installer, again for simplicity.
  5. Boot with the Sierra USB installer connected to a proven working USB port.
  6. Press the Hotkey(like Del) to enter the BIOS setup for the MoBo.
  7. MAKE SURE YEAR/MONTH/DATE/TIME are current
  8. Make the Sierra USB installer as the first boot device in Boot Options Priorities.
  9. Make all other REQUIRED choices in other BIOS setup options for successful macOS booting as recommended in the Guide or other successful installations found in the Forum for your unusual hardware.
  10. Boot the Sierra USB Installer to Installation screen >Disk Utility and locate your Single target Disk.
  11. Create 2 Partitions in the disk
  12. Make Partition 1 as "Sierra System" with GUID /MacOS Extended (Journaled) Partition scheme and Format respectively.
  13. Format the remaining unused partition also as macOS Extended (Journaled) for now*** (see Step #44) but rename it as "Windows 10"
  14. Exit the Disk Utility and go to MacOS Installation screen
  15. Click on the Partition named "Sierra System" and also choose the Essential files and start the installation.
  16. Carefully follow the steps to reboot the Sierra System disk to complete the installation
  17. Once all system files are fully copied to the Sierra System disk (may take 30 -40 minutes in a 2-3 reboots) and you complete the Setup including the iCloud ,Keyboard, current date and time etc, run Multibeast 9.1.0 to install UEFI boot Mode+kexts ( Audio/Ethernet/ USB/) + Graphics configuration in some cases + System Definitions+ and any special patches for NVMe using other methods.
  18. Reboot still accessing Boot menu through hotkey >Sierra USB installer>CBM > Sierra System Disk >Login Screen>Desktop
  19. Download and launch Clover Configurator Vibrant edition.
  20. Click on "Install/Update Clover" menu from the Left Panel of CCV screen
  21. Click "Check Now" button on the Right bottom of that screen to see the current booted version of Clover EFI bootloader ( which will be that of Multibeats 9.1.0)
  22. Remote Available Version will be the most current which you need to select and update the Sierra System Disk Clover EFI bootloader.
  23. Choose the Sierra System Disk and make Sure UEFI mode is once again chosen and in drivers64UEFI OsxAptioFix2Drv is also checked before installing Clover EFI on the System Disk to update it to the current.
  24. Once Clover EFI Installation is completed with the updated version, open EFI>EFI>CLOVER > kexts>Other and copy and paste FakeSMC + Ethernet kext and any other kexts like RehabMan's GenericUSBXHCI.kext or RehabMan's "Fake PCIID kexts " on a need to use basis for the hardware used.
  25. Edit config.plist in CCV making sure to check all menu there and include needed selections and remove unwanted ones especially from ACPI and Boot Args: [ I can be only very general here as hardware Specs for each system determine the Specifics in this editing]
  26. Reboot and go to BIOS Setup and make the UEFI SATA HDD/SSD or NVMe as the first boot device
  27. DISABLE other disks from the Boot Option priorities
  28. In CBM screen, go to Options> Boot Args:- and all sub menus to make sure they are appropriate for booting
  29. Boot the Sierra System Disk
  30. Login to desktop
  31. Launch Terminal : sudo spctl --assess --master-disable> Password .
  32. Make sure correct Date and Time is set using password
  33. Check Apple>About This Mac> Overview
  34. Check System Report..>Hardware and all the submenu to confirm all kexts are properly loaded
  35. Open System Preferences to configure "Sound", "Network" "Energy Saver" etc etc.
  36. Go to "Apple Store" and look for updates and Install as needed
  37. Reboot and check for flawless booting without the USB installer
  38. Run Terminal and "diskutil list" command
  39. Note the Partition that was set aside for Windows 10 but still in HFS+ file system . Specifically check its size. Its unused size will be larger and a clue to select the right partition to Install Windows 10.
  40. Now boot with Windows 10 USB installer created using Rufus in GPT/NTFS
  41. Press Hotkey to go to Boot Menu to select the Windows 10 USB installer disk to boot from.
  42. Go to New Installation option.
  43. From the listed disk partitions select the disk noted from Diskutil list command as Windows 10.
  44. Click ***Delete to delete that previously HFS+ formatted partition set aside for Windows 10.
  45. New unused (empty) partition will be displayed along with other 3 partitions on the Sierra disk
  46. Select that Unused Partition to start Installing Windows 10
  47. Windows 10 will be installed in UEFI mode and NTFS filse sytem in that partition
  48. You keep on booting that partition on prompt until full installation and updates are completed.
  49. Then you press the appropriate key to enter the BIOS setup and choose the Disk in UEFI as first boot and disable everything else in Boot Option Priorities.
  50. Clover EFI boot loader will mount both System disks in CBM screen and you can choose either macOS or Windows 10.

Motherboard
MSI H81i
CPU
i5-4570
Graphics
RX 580
Please try to help the OP to fix his dual boot problem.
As far as I know mixing macOS in UEFI and Windows in Legacy mode and running the 2 systems from a single hard disk from 2 separate partitions is not an easy task for most, especially those who have not done a lot of dual booting.

If you have an illustrated guide showing your special steps, please post that to help OP.

I have several computers I have built with different motherboards , CPUs and Graphics running triple boot setup running very well from separate hard disks. I have my own reasons to use separate hard disks for different Operating Systems. I also believe for newcomers to multi-boot that is much easier to set up and run.

I also know how to set up and run dual boot from separate partitions from a single disk using both systems using either legacy mode or UEFI mode. But, as I said, I prefer multi-disk multi-boot systems and I don't try to mix UEFI and Legacy boot from a Single disk because they are problem prone.

The steps needed to accomplish Single disk Dual boot Windows 10 and Mac OS system in UEFI mode that I use are as follows and the method works flawlessly for me.
  1. Create a macOS Sierra installer USB Flash disk using Tonymac Unibeast method.
  2. Take that Sierra USB Installer disk to the Computer (with OS X /MacOS compatible hardware) you want to create a Single disk separate Partitions Hackintosh_windows 10 Dual boot System.
  3. Disconnect all the hard disks from that Computer connecting only a Single SATA HDD or SATA SSD or NVMe disk as the target for installing the 2 systems. This is to avoid a lot of confusion in Disk utility screen with too many disks with similar sounding brand names. Remember NVMe needs additional steps so not a good idea for the beginners.
  4. Remove all the USB devices except Keyboard, Mouse and the Sierra USB installer, again for simplicity.
  5. Boot with the Sierra USB installer connected to a proven working USB port.
  6. Press the Hotkey(like Del) to enter the BIOS setup for the MoBo.
  7. MAKE SURE YEAR/MONTH/DATE/TIME are current
  8. Make the Sierra USB installer as the first boot device in Boot Options Priorities.
  9. Make all other REQUIRED choices in other BIOS setup options for successful macOS booting as recommended in the Guide or other successful installations found in the Forum for your unusual hardware.
  10. Boot the Sierra USB Installer to Installation screen >Disk Utility and locate your Single target Disk.
  11. Create 2 Partitions in the disk
  12. Make Partition 1 as "Sierra System" with GUID /MacOS Extended (Journaled) Partition scheme and Format respectively.
  13. Format the remaining unused partition also as macOS Extended (Journaled) for now*** (see Step #44) but rename it as "Windows 10"
  14. Exit the Disk Utility and go to MacOS Installation screen
  15. Click on the Partition named "Sierra System" and also choose the Essential files and start the installation.
  16. Carefully follow the steps to reboot the Sierra System disk to complete the installation
  17. Once all system files are fully copied to the Sierra System disk (may take 30 -40 minutes in a 2-3 reboots) and you complete the Setup including the iCloud ,Keyboard, current date and time etc, run Multibeast 9.1.0 to install UEFI boot Mode+kexts ( Audio/Ethernet/ USB/) + Graphics configuration in some cases + System Definitions+ and any special patches for NVMe using other methods.
  18. Reboot still accessing Boot menu through hotkey >Sierra USB installer>CBM > Sierra System Disk >Login Screen>Desktop
  19. Download and launch Clover Configurator Vibrant edition.
  20. Click on "Install/Update Clover" menu from the Left Panel of CCV screen
  21. Click "Check Now" button on the Right bottom of that screen to see the current booted version of Clover EFI bootloader ( which will be that of Multibeats 9.1.0)
  22. Remote Available Version will be the most current which you need to select and update the Sierra System Disk Clover EFI bootloader.
  23. Choose the Sierra System Disk and make Sure UEFI mode is once again chosen and in drivers64UEFI OsxAptioFix2Drv is also checked before installing Clover EFI on the System Disk to update it to the current.
  24. Once Clover EFI Installation is completed with the updated version, open EFI>EFI>CLOVER > kexts>Other and copy and paste FakeSMC + Ethernet kext and any other kexts like RehabMan's GenericUSBXHCI.kext or RehabMan's "Fake PCIID kexts " on a need to use basis for the hardware used.
  25. Edit config.plist in CCV making sure to check all menu there and include needed selections and remove unwanted ones especially from ACPI and Boot Args: [ I can be only very general here as hardware Specs for each system determine the Specifics in this editing]
  26. Reboot and go to BIOS Setup and make the UEFI SATA HDD/SSD or NVMe as the first boot device
  27. DISABLE other disks from the Boot Option priorities
  28. In CBM screen, go to Options> Boot Args:- and all sub menus to make sure they are appropriate for booting
  29. Boot the Sierra System Disk
  30. Login to desktop
  31. Launch Terminal : sudo spctl --assess --master-disable> Password .
  32. Make sure correct Date and Time is set using password
  33. Check Apple>About This Mac> Overview
  34. Check System Report..>Hardware and all the submenu to confirm all kexts are properly loaded
  35. Open System Preferences to configure "Sound", "Network" "Energy Saver" etc etc.
  36. Go to "Apple Store" and look for updates and Install as needed
  37. Reboot and check for flawless booting without the USB installer
  38. Run Terminal and "diskutil list" command
  39. Note the Partition that was set aside for Windows 10 but still in HFS+ file system . Specifically check its size. Its unused size will be larger and a clue to select the right partition to Install Windows 10.
  40. Now boot with Windows 10 USB installer created using Rufus in GPT/NTFS
  41. Press Hotkey to go to Boot Menu to select the Windows 10 USB installer disk to boot from.
  42. Go to New Installation option.
  43. From the listed disk partitions select the disk noted from Diskutil list command as Windows 10.
  44. Click ***Delete to delete that previously HFS+ formatted partition set aside for Windows 10.
  45. New unused (empty) partition will be displayed along with other 3 partitions on the Sierra disk
  46. Select that Unused Partition to start Installing Windows 10
  47. Windows 10 will be installed in UEFI mode and NTFS filse sytem in that partition
  48. You keep on booting that partition on prompt until full installation and updates are completed.
  49. Then you press the appropriate key to enter the BIOS setup and choose the Disk in UEFI as first boot and disable everything else in Boot Option Priorities.
  50. Clover EFI boot loader will mount both System disks in CBM screen and you can choose either macOS or Windows 10.
If you look at the first screen shot in the OP you can see that the OP is using UEFI only. The problem was Clover stopped booting. The reason for this was the OP had renamed files in /efi/microsoft in order to force firmware to use the fallback path /efi/boot on an internal disk. Clover stopped booting when windows repaired the microsoft folder.

In post 15 the OP has added Clover to the boot menu. Clover was then able to boot. Not doing this in the first place, you rely on certain firmware behaviours that are not guaranteed to work consistently. Furthermore, if you rename files in /efi/microsoft to force these firmware behaviours, they will no longer work when windows repairs its bootloader.

My point is this: Adding the bootloader to the boot menu is part of the installation for a properly booting system. Windows does it. Linux installers will do it. macOS even does it even though our firmwares cannot boot it. By not doing it, and relying on firmware quirks (e.g. renaming files, unplugging disks, pretending things work like BIOS computers from 10-40 years ago etc) you make problems for yourself that don't need to exist. Just add Clover to the boot menu in the first place. It is not difficult.

The installation procedure is the same for all UEFI OSs, copy the files needed to boot to an EFI folder to a USB flash drive on a partition the firmware can read, and boot from it. No magic steps necessary.

Last edited: