Motherboard
MSI Z97 Gaming5
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. iMac
System has been working (ok,some niggles) for sometime now, but over night just stopped booting to Clover.
not sure what's gone wrong or even how. Still able to boot from my USB stick.
Please could someone have look for me, (can't see the woods for all the trees).

Attachments

• IMG_1553.JPG
    IMG_1553.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1554.JPG
    IMG_1554.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1555.JPG
    IMG_1555.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1556.JPG
    IMG_1556.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1557.JPG
    IMG_1557.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1558.JPG
    IMG_1558.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1559.JPG
    IMG_1559.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1560.JPG
    IMG_1560.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1561.JPG
    IMG_1561.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1562.JPG
    IMG_1562.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1563.JPG
    IMG_1563.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1564.JPG
    IMG_1564.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1565.JPG
    IMG_1565.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1566.JPG
    IMG_1566.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1567.JPG
    IMG_1567.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1568.JPG
    IMG_1568.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1569.JPG
    IMG_1569.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1570.JPG
    IMG_1570.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1571.JPG
    IMG_1571.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1572.JPG
    IMG_1572.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1573.JPG
    IMG_1573.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1574.JPG
    IMG_1574.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1575.JPG
    IMG_1575.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1576.JPG
    IMG_1576.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 75
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD 4000+GT 710
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
System has been working (ok,some niggles) for sometime now, but over night just stopped booting to Clover.
not sure what's gone wrong or even how. Still able to boot from my USB stick.
Please could someone have look for me, (can't see the woods for all the trees).

• You have not stated if your Windows and Mac Dual Boot is from 2 Separate Hard disks or a Single Disk- 2 Partitions- Dual boot.

• From the above description of the problem and the images you have uploaded and I have edited and uploaded back to the Forum , these are my observations:
  • BIOS Boot Options Menu shows Windows Disk as boot Number 1.
    • This will not allow Clover to be the common boot manager for both Windows and Mac.
    • Windows Boot Manager will kick Clover out and boot all by itself to Windows Desktop ( if no problem in that System)
  • Sierra Containing Disk is not Seen in Boot Options
  • BIOS >Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities Menu not Expanded to show all the Hard disks in the System in the image provided.
  • Therefore from that image of the BIOS screen, I cannot say much about the health of that Sierra HDD ( but the second CBM screen shot taken on booting with USB Installer shows the disk to be alive :))
  • The second image I have uploaded is the result of Sierra USB Installer boot reaching CBM screen
  • Based on the two images taken together my inference:
    • BIOS is set to boot from Windows and therefore Clover Boot Manager Screen will not occurwithout USB Installer boot.
    • If the above is true , make Sierra Containing Disk as #1 in Hard Disk Drive BBS and DISABLE all others in that menu
    • Then make Sierra System Disk as Boot Option #1 and Right click "Disable" everything else from that list
    • F10>Boot and press Hotkey for Boot Menu screen > select Sierra HDD to reach CBM screen
  • Another thing to make sure is to have a working Config.plist that will take the rest of Booting from CBM to Login Screen OK.
    • That can be checked once you can boot Sierra System Disk from CBM to Desktop and launching Clover Configurator Vibrant to 'mount' the EFI of System disk and Editing Config.plist in CCV checking its Boot menu for Boot args and Gui menu to make sure all sections are properly selected and saved.

Attachments

• 1.BIOS Hard Disk BBS Priorites Not shown.png
    1.BIOS Hard Disk BBS Priorites Not shown.png
    521 KB · Views: 79
  • 2.Clover Boot Manager Screen in USB Installer Boot.png
    2.Clover Boot Manager Screen in USB Installer Boot.png
    193 KB · Views: 53
Motherboard
MSI Z97 Gaming5
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. iMac
Thanks cmn699.
The system is installed on One m.2 drive with both Windows 10 and Sierra.
I am now only able to boot in to Sierra using my USB stick however getting the warning see picture IMG_1562.
(macOS can't repair the disk "Sierra"
Window is still working.
I have disconnected all other drives from the system, and only have the windows boot manager as an option to boot with.
Not sure what to do???

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD 4000+GT 710
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks cmn699.
I am now only able to boot in to Sierra using my USB stick however getting the warning see picture IMG_1562.
Window is still working.
I have disconnected all other drives from the system, and only have the windows boot manager as an option to boot with.
Not sure what to do???

The error message your image shows ( I have seen this on triple boot when logging into macOS Sierra 'complaining about Ubuntu Disk that it cannot repair but would let us read but not write any onto the disk. Some cases there are file system errors and the disk would eventually die) may indicate Filesystem errors.

Since you have no working Sierra and the health of the disk is uncertain, best approach seems to me to start all over again .

Reformat the Mac Partition in NTFS and then do an SFC of the entire disk or better still connect that to a Windows System and run diskpart>Clean ....Re-partition>Reformat as NTFS >Windows 10

In my personal opinion it is not a good idea to have 2 separate OSes sharing one HDD for the above reason. If something bad happens to the disk, you lose two OSes in one strike and the resulting downtime with neither OS is too long. To get them back to normal would be a painfully long task. The personal data loss can be irreplaceable.

Motherboard
MSI H81i
CPU
i5-4570
Graphics
RX 580
Thanks cmn699.
Window is still working.
Not sure what to do???
Add Clover to your firmware's boot menu. The path to Clover is /efi/clover/cloverx64.efi

If you have not done this before, you were probably using /efi/boot/bootx64.efi which is a fallback path your firmware is aware of as part of the UEFI spec. and is used e.g. for booting from external media, and as a fallback, funnily enough.

Use easyUEFI from Windows seeing as that is what is booting at the moment.

Motherboard
MSI Z97 Gaming5
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. iMac
The error message is the USB stick and not the shared HDD.
The USB stick has been in my drawer since the install of this system, and not used after that at all???

I was hoping to be able to repair the Sierra boot loader part and not having to reinstall :(

Motherboard
MSI H81i
CPU
i5-4570
Graphics
RX 580
The error message is the USB stick and not the shared HDD.
The USB stick has been in my drawer since the install of this system, and not used after that at all???

I was hoping to be able to repair the Sierra boot loader part and not having to reinstall :(
See post #5. Installing on separate disks only brings operational differences if you haven't added your bootloader to the bootmenu and are using the fallback path.

Motherboard
MSI Z97 Gaming5
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. iMac
Thank vulgo,

Would you mind helping me and maybe be a little bit more specific and help me understand what to do.
This is my first build and I'm not quite sure what you are suggesting.
(I am still able to with the USB stick get in to Sierra)

Motherboard
MSI H81i
CPU
i5-4570
Graphics
RX 580
Thank vulgo,

Would you mind helping me and maybe be a little bit more specific and help me understand what to do.
This is my first build and I'm not quite sure what you are suggesting.
(I am still able to with the USB stick get in to Sierra)
There is a program for Windows called EasyUEFI for managing the UEFI boot menu. The developers web site is here.

When you install Windows or Linux for example, the path to the bootloader is added to the boot menu. The macOS installer also does this, but it is no use to us as the firmware cannot load boot.efi directly.

When you install Clover, the installer cannot add Clover to the boot menu, you must do it yourself.

From easyUEFI, use the add button to create a new entry. Name it e.g. Clover. Choose 'Other OS Type' or similar, select the EFI partition (usually the first one) on the graphic of the drive, hit the file browse button and browse to /efi/clover/cloverx64.efi.

Then back in the main window you can use the up/down buttons to reorder the Clover entry to the top so it is first in the boot order.

Note that the entries in easyUEFI are the exact same ones as in your UEFI/BIOS setup screens, you are adding a new one there from here.

Last edited:
Motherboard
MSI Z97 Gaming5
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. iMac
vulgo.
Just out of interest, Is this not something that I would be able to do when in Sierra?