1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone, I've been following posts from people here for awhile but i've never posted. I have an old G5 that I would like to convert to more recent hardware and I would like to preserve the original look of the case doing that.

I have a complete list running around 1000$ for the build with includes an I7 cpu but thing is I would like to build a dual quad core system. I did some research but couldn't find any info of anyone building a G5 with dual quad core cpu's.

Thanks guys for any input...

Hi everyone, I've been following posts from people here for awhile but i've never posted. I have an old G5 that I would like to convert to more recent hardware and I would like to preserve the original look of the case doing that.

I have a complete list running around 1000$ for the build with includes an I7 cpu but thing is I would like to build a dual quad core system. I did some research but couldn't find any info of anyone building a G5 with dual quad core cpu's.

Thanks guys for any input...

You mean using a mobo like this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._processor_motherboard-_-13-128-830-_-Product

I would figure it will be the same as a standard build except for the motherboard mounts.

Yeah, something like that but I would like to keep both 92mm rear fans, original PSU location and/or enclosure and hard drive mounting brackets.

After looking around from your post I see that the result I want and dual CPU's are currently not possible because of the way motherboards are manufactured.

I would like to get as close as possible from original, where I could use the clear plastic and original fan housings from Apple. As I can see from the pictures on newegg, the dual cpu designs does not match those criterias. Thanks to your post Hypnonotic, I will be able to move forward and build my I7 system. thanks!

First Powermac G5 (Late 2005) Project - Design According to Ive

Here's an example of someone very close to achieve the results i want to have.

And here's the result I want to look at for the back of my build (thanks to vinu.snake):
181707d1458466950-my-first-g5-case-mod-38.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back