Nvidia 450 GTS
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi People,
I'm thinking of making a dual processor mac, do you know of any hardware that works with least headache?
I've seen EVGA SR-2 DUAL XEON MOTHERBOARD motherboard working... which is pretty expensive. any thoughts?

Let me know thanks!

It's not worth it. You could probably build 2 i7 970 machines with what it would cost you. I just finished building a ud5 i7 970 and it scores a 18500+ geekbench score, that is better than all of the 8 core dual processor macros. The only machines that are better are the 12 core boxes and if you were to build them the cost of each processor is more than my entire machine.

Get a ud5 motherboard, i7 970, a good ssd and the fastest ram you can buy (2000+MHz) with a h70 or the best air cooler you can find. (or some crazy water-cooling system). Bump the processor up to about 4.5ghz and you will be very happy with the machine and will have spent thousands less. I would be impressed if you could keep my machine working at 100%. This hardware is so far ahead of most software it's crazy.

If you went with a 990x you could probably hit 20k+ and catch the 12 core machines

+it all works and you are not breaking new ground when it comes to installing a stabile osx system

my new ram was just delivered.

not bad for an 1800$ machne.

this is at 4.3ghz i know i can run this up to 4.7 (short runs) and 4.5 completely stable

there is no point in wasting the money to buy a dual core server system

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-04-02 at 12.42.49 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-04-02 at 12.42.49 PM.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 188
I definately know what you mean, we're a photography studio and more just curious of how to build a beast machine here. your setup looks great though, I built an i7 860 with SSD + raid card, etc bench marking that to around 11000. I always thought if you get 2 xeon processors you would be processing faster than a quad core with HT.

Thanks

put the six core 970 or 990x in. if you have the money to buy a dual processor server setup you should be able to try out the intel i7X processors. i bet they are faster then the 12 core mac pro when run in the 4.2ghz range

Amazing! Thanks mate.

here is the last benchmark that i will do with the machine :)

stacked with 18 gigs of ram running at 4.57ghz i think

I really wish the i7X processors would drop down in price a bit i really want to get one of them. the locked 25x multiplier on these sucks, they are capable of so much more

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-04-02 at 8.46.13 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-04-02 at 8.46.13 PM.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 175
:headbang:ROCKING MY WORLD!

Omg.. 20K GeekBench. That's pretty awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back