Graphics
GTX 980 ti FTW
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
are dual processor builds really cutting edge? i am looking to make a new hackintosh and would like to make a dual processor machine (with 4 core prosessors right now) that i could upgrade to the 6 core processors in the future. I want to put at least 12 gigs of ram to start with in the computer.

i am brand new to this, i have converted a few netbooks to run osx but have never built a computer (built a few 3d printers and other robotics so im not worried about assembling one of these). I cant seem to find any info on dual processor i7 builds, all the google results i get back are so cluttered with dual boot systems i cant seem to find anything. can someone give me some clues (motherboards, sockets etc.) to search for? I am only interested in running OSX on the computer.

has anyone created a "buy all this stuff" list for a dual processor machine like the build lists that are provided on this site?

thanks

jonnynogood said:
are dual processor builds really cutting edge? i am looking to make a new hackintosh and would like to make a dual processor machine (with 4 core prosessors right now) that i could upgrade to the 6 core processors in the future. I want to put at least 12 gigs of ram to start with in the computer.

i am brand new to this, i have converted a few netbooks to run osx but have never built a computer (built a few 3d printers and other robotics so im not worried about assembling one of these). I cant seem to find any info on dual processor i7 builds, all the google results i get back are so cluttered with dual boot systems i cant seem to find anything. can someone give me some clues (motherboards, sockets etc.) to search for? I am only interested in running OSX on the computer.

has anyone created a "buy all this stuff" list for a dual processor machine like the build lists that are provided on this site?

thanks
The reason you didn't find anything on dual processor i7 builds are they don't exist. The only processors that support dual CPUs are Xenon based. You will also need a workstation or server motherboard.

can anyone think of anything that i might be missing on this list?

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi ... r=11694374

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

3 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop

Memory Model F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL

Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper SGC-6000-KXN1-GP Black Steel, ABS Plastic, Mesh bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire
Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

MSI N260GTX Twin Frozr OC GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

or if anything on there is incorrect?

anything that might be better that i should add instead? I also need a firewire 800 card.

will this motherboard accept the 6 core i7 processor? I want to upgrade to that in about 6-8 months once it drops in price a bit more, and add another 12 gigs of ram.

thanks for the help, just discovered this site 3 days ago, hopefully i will have all this stuff ordered tonight.

Hey Folks,

I thought I'd share that I have a dual processor, 8-core hackintosh running.
These are my specs:

HP xw6400 Workstation MoBo
Dual Xeon 1.86GHz Quad Cores
4 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB
LaCie FW 400 card
Netgear usb wireless adapter

the OS recognizes all the processors/cores for what they are, and so does Pro Tools.. the main function of this system.

Matt

www.undergroundaudionyc.com

RockerMatt...that's awesome!

I live in BK also. I just built my first x58! I'm a designer and I'm loving life.

I'm looking in to the Dual CPU build. Any chance i can stop by the studio to check out your setup? If so PM me.

Man i love this site!

rockermatt said:
Hey Folks,

I thought I'd share that I have a dual processor, 8-core hackintosh running.
These are my specs:

HP xw6400 Workstation MoBo
Dual Xeon 1.86GHz Quad Cores
4 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB
LaCie FW 400 card
Netgear usb wireless adapter

the OS recognizes all the processors/cores for what they are, and so does Pro Tools.. the main function of this system.

Matt

http://www.undergroundaudionyc.com
HP Xw6400 Workstation MoBo

whats that man??? a Hewlett Packard motherboard???

more info on your build please... I am wanting to build a dual cpu hackintosh for the exact reasons you built for yours... However I need to run Pro tools 9 HD3 pcie cards are you aware if they will work with your build or other mboards I will need to look at to work?

I need komplete 7 going, uad cards and pro tools HD3 accel cards going...

ya that would be great!!!

I'd love to know how many PCI-E x16 expansion bays does you board have?

Most mobos I'v looked at have one. I only have seen the Intel Workstation and an ASUS board that have the dual x16 locations.

Please anyone with dual cpu set ups can u please post model number of your mobos and DSDT file if possible. Thanks!

keep on digging we will find the answer.

yeh man I need 3 pcie cards just for pro tools, if anything i need about 3 more...
i dont need good graphics anything will work with that...

there are things though that add pcie extension boards to your setup... alot of studios use this,,, its like a small chasis that has just pcie card slots and you rig them up in combo with your build... however im not sure how this will work hackintosh i just know that it works with a "normal" pc or mac...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back