CPU
Intel 6950
Graphics
Titan XP
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys, waiting for all my parts to get here to start my EVGA SR-2 build. My main question is will two HD 6870's work out of the box? I know crossfire will not work in OS X, however I know it works in Windows that's what I need it for. I have seen one build so far that had dual 6870's but it didn't explain if there was a lot of hacking needed for them to work with no problems.

I do also have an extra GTX 580 that I don't use much since I upgraded to a HD 7970. I just didn't want to deal with problems in LION using the Nvidia card, and two HD 6870's in crossfire would be enough for one screen during gaming. Thanks for the help.

slv335i said:
Hey guys, waiting for all my parts to get here to start my EVGA SR-2 build. My main question is will two HD 6870's work out of the box? I know crossfire will not work in OS X, however I know it works in Windows that's what I need it for. I have seen one build so far that had dual 6870's but it didn't explain if there was a lot of hacking needed for them to work with no problems.

I do also have an extra GTX 580 that I don't use much since I upgraded to a HD 7970. I just didn't want to deal with problems in LION using the Nvidia card, and two HD 6870's in crossfire would be enough for one screen during gaming. Thanks for the help.
It will work, sure.

Mate94 said:
slv335i said:

It will work, sure.

Do I have to do anything special? Like install one at a time or any modified files? My last G5 build had a single 6870 and it worked without any problems. Thanks

Do a basic install if your worried EG basic hardware like 4Gb Ram 1 x HD 1 x HD6870 and When 10.7x is installed and working load your Extra Hardware

With the HD6870 Ive had all ports working OB have not been able to try all at once but but I see no Problem to 1 Card 4 Outputs

HD6870 Standard 2 Monitor & with Adaptors 4 Monitor

Iam also interested in putting another HD6870 into my Hackintosh so good luck

:idea: :headbang:

Check my sig, im using 2 x 6870's in crossfire mode.

:headbang:

KidCastro said:

Any tips on getting it to work? Or was it all plug in play? Thanks

Re Install HD6870

This is a build by TonyMac MB = Gigabyte - GA-Z68XP-UD3 CPU i5

GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6870 1GB DDR5
2DVI/HDMI/2x Mini DisplayPort
Model GV-R687OC

Iam a Mac dude & Setting up a Multi Video output Hackintosh
The idea is to run multi Projector's for VJing and Video Mapping

Ive had no problems with HD6870 first install was 10.7.2 and the second install used 10.7.3 the card seems to work out off box No extra kext / scripts from my testing it is running at full speed

OUTPUTS = I have had output from all video ports and am using 2 Active mDP to DVI & VGA adaptors to give the Total of 4 Video Outputs from 1 card (MacOsX)

:beachball: I used the DSDT file for my MB and thats just about it ( THat wAs ThAt )

If your running crossfire for PC it will probably crash when you boot as a MAC ??
unless u disconnect it each time

Good Luk :headbang:

slv335i said:
KidCastro said:

2 x 6870's = plug and play

You will have no problems at all because of native support. Basically the top card will be the functional card with all the inputs connected.

Crossfire will only work in WIN7 though :thumbup:

KidCastro said:
slv335i said:
KidCastro said:

2 x 6870's = plug and play

You will have no problems at all because of native support. Basically the top card will be the functional card with all the inputs connected.

Crossfire will only work in WIN7 though :thumbup:

Thanks so much. Last question is will I be able to leave the crossfire cable on without any problems when booting back into OS X?

slv335i said:
Thanks so much. Last question is will I be able to leave the crossfire cable on without any problems when booting back into OS X?

No problems.... a couple things to note about crossfire 6870's.

Top card will be the only one usable for inputs, like either 1 or 2, 3 monitors! Your choice.

You will not be using the power of 2 6870's in OSX, it will recognize both cards but crossfire is not supported in OSX

This wont interfere when dual booting as well, Im dual booting WIN7 & OSX on a daily basis. Obviously I use the power for gaming in WIN7..

Good luck :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back