I7 3770K @ 4,50 GHz
Graphics
GTX780
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm a video editor/ex-IT guy.
Beginning last month I bought a ASUS GTX 780 DCII OC.
Everything worked great, then I read this:
http://www.barefeats.com/tube02.html

Here are my scores for a single GTX 780:
- FCPX Gaussian blur: 24 sec.
- Triple fx: 45 sec.
- Luxmark: 1382

Today my second GTX 780 arrived, took the first one out and put the new one in.
Opened some images in Preview, Fast look, all worked, so didn't seem like a GK110B chip.
I've put my first card back in slot 1, and the new card in slot 2b of the Maximus V extreme.
Plugged extra power in the EZPlug just to be sure... I have a AX1200i psu so that's good.

Here are my scores for dual GTX 780:
- FCPX Gaussian blur: 40 sec.
- Triple fx: 75 sec.
- Luxmark: wouldn't start !

To do some testing I did the same tests with only the new gtx 780,
here's the results:

- FCPX Gaussian blur: 26 sec.
- Triple fx: 40 sec.
- Luxmark: wouldn't start

With any of the 2 cards FCPX renderstimes are good, but with the 2 cards together render times are x 1,5!

And if luxmark doesn't start, does that mean that it does have a GK110B chip?
But why do Preview, Quicklook and Pacifist work?
I don't see the VBIOS of the cards anywhere, so I can't check if it's 80.10 or not...

Any ideas?

Would love to get involved with Dual GPU configuration. What are your other specs? I am running gigabyte X79 UD3, i7 3930k, GTX670. I was excited because from the beginning the point of FCPX seemed to be that it would eventually be able to take advantage of dual CPU's...eventually is now here with mavericks and FCPX 10.1.

Wondering if you think I am out of luck with sandy bridge rig and what you did to get the dual GPU's up and running. I have 1000 watt PSU. I could always just purchase another smaller PSU to be dedicated to the other card...or do I simply need a PSU with more power (I would assume the latter).

Very interested in getting this setup, really on a quest to dominate render times and do color work in real time (MB looks).

Sorry I have more questions and no answers, looking forward to someone chiming in. Surprised that the dual GPU conversation isn't a huge deal on this site.

My specs are next to every post.
I think your psu is just fine to handle 2 gpu's, 1000 watts is good.

About my problem: as the system is still using the IGPU, could it be that quicklook and Preview use the IGPU instead of the newest GPX780? And then when I start Luxmark, it searches for every gpu and crashes because the latest GTX780 is a GK110B??

I'm about to install windows on a second ssd just to be able to see the VBIOS version...

Just out of curiosity since I have the same card... Have you found a way of monitoring the temps/fan speeds? I have tried the GeForceSensors.kext, NClockX.kext etc without any success, just faced with the "unknown kepler.. ". Also, it seems like the fans stays constant at idle speed even when running benchmarks such as cinebench and unigine which makes the card really hot!

Best Regards / P

Just installed the new Nvidia drivers
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/123974-nvidia-web-drivers-10-9-x-mavericks-found-4.html

Luxmark runs now and gives me a score of 2640 with the dual Asus GTX780 (1 rev a, 1 rev b)
Thats looking good.

Did the same 2 tests in FCPX and very disappointed...
The scores are the same as before with the 2 cards installed, it takes almost twice as long to render the 2 min. video with 2 GTX 780's then with just one installed...

What's going on here?

what version of final cut x ? 10.0.9 or 10.1.1 ?

Just ran the fcpx benchmarks on my updated system with dual GTX780 (GK110a + gk110b):
10.9.2, WebDriver-331.01.01f01, fcpx10.1.1

- FCPX Gaussian blur: 42 sec.

- Triple fx: 81 sec.

- Luxmark:
Screen Shot 2014-02-27 at 22.16.57.png

Good results for Luxmark but very poor in FCPX. It's twice as fast using only 1 card.

Just ran the fcpx benchmarks on my updated system with dual GTX780 (GK110a + gk110b):
10.9.2, WebDriver-331.01.01f01, fcpx10.1.1

- FCPX Gaussian blur: 42 sec.

- Triple fx: 81 sec.

- Luxmark:
View attachment 85095

Good results for Luxmark but very poor in FCPX. It's twice as fast using only 1 card.

Thats dissapointing, looks like Apple does not support multiple nvidia cards with FCPX :/ ....
But according to this dual Nvidia GTX680 cards work better than single one i FCPX.
http://www.barefeats.com/tube05.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back