Contribute
Register

Dual Graphics / Video Cards (ATI Radeon 5770 & NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT) with Trinary 3 Three Displays

Motherboard
GIGABYTE X79-UD5
CPU
Xeon E5-2648L
Graphics
Dual: XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 8GB GDDR5
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Chameleon Issue #48: Dual Graphics Cards (ATI Radeon 5770 & NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT w/ Triple Displays

Chameleon / Chimera Issue #48: Dual Graphics Cards (ATI Radeon 5770 & NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT) with Triple Displays

I have done a ton of research on this issue, and have "mostly" everything working. I just have a few issues that I'm trying to isolate, and would appreciate any help that anyone may have to offer. The thing that I am trying to figure out is this:

If I set GraphicsEnabler=No, everything seems to be working as it should. From what I can tell QE/CI is working (for both video cards) according to what I have looked at from the wiki… I get the Dashboard ripple effect, the desktop "zooms" on login, I can get the icons to jiggle in Launchpad, I can move chess pieces, and have more than one option for a screensaver. The only thing I don't have is a translucent Menubar.

Here are the things I am having trouble with:

1. UPDATE: I can confirm that this issue is definitely related to GraphicsEnabler=No. Apparently the video card must be recognized by Mac in order for DNF to run.
Duke Nukem Forever (Steam for Mac) doesn't get past the Flag loading screen. (I can launch and play Serious Sam 3:BFE in Steam for Mac, and launch and play Duke Nukem Forever in Steam for Windows via CrossOver).

2. UPDATE: This issue exists on my system whether GraphicsEnabler=Yes or No, or whether two Graphics cards are installed or not, so most likely it is not related to this issue…
I cannot open DVD Player. I get the classic There was an initialization Error: A valid DVD drive could not be found. [-70012]
I am not sure if this issue started after I upgraded to Lion 10.7, or after I installed the second video card. I don't think I have opened DVD Player since I upgraded to Lion. I'm guessing that there is also a possibility that this might be related to the DVD Drives being region free…but I am not getting a prompt to change the region either.

3. My ATI Radeon 5770 (0x100268b8) shows up as an ATI Radeon HD 5000 in the System Profiler Information (GraphicsEnabler=No).

4. My Frambuffer shows up as RadeonFramebuffer in ioreg instead of Vervet.

5. If I set GraphicsEnabler=Yes, my system won't ever load the GUI. I don't get any errors using verbose mode (other than the GraphicsEnabler one below (nVidia GeForce 8800GT - Bad display config block signature (0x3202778b) ERROR: nVidia ROM Patching Failed!)), it just fails to finish loading.

It appears that this has something to do with the GraphicsEnabler when trying to enable the second graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT). In further investigation of the GraphicsEnable portion of Chameleon / Chimera, I found the following code on lines 908 & 909 of nvidia.c:

Code:
908	printf("Bad display config block signature (0x%8x)\n", sig); //Azi: issue #48
909	return PATCH_ROM_FAILED;
Here's the link to issue #48, I am going to add this post to it. ;)

It appears that it might have something to do with the GraphicsEnabler not knowing what to do with 2 cards (one being ATI (AMD) and one being NVIDIA). It also appears that the NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT might now be natively supported in Mountain Lion 10.8, so maybe the GraphicsEnabler for it needs to be removed from nividia.c... It appears that this issue may need to be addressed in the actual Chameleon / Chimera code. ;)

If there was a way to set GraphicsEnabler=Yes for the first card, and GraphicsEnabler=No for the second card, that would be the best solution (IMHO).

I know I can add the information for my 5770 to my (DSDT file), but have not found an easy way to do this seeming that everyone is using GraphicsEnabler...

I'm not sure if resolving this will take care of my first 2 issues or not, but it should resolve the other 3. ;)

MY SETUP:
OS X Mountain Lion 10.8
Chimera 1.11.0
Using DSDT for Asus P5K Premium

PATCHES:
-FakeSMC
-FakeSMC Plugnins
-IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
-NullCPUPowerManagement

SMBIOS:

BOOT.PLIST

System Profiler Information for my NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GT (0x10de0611 0x00a2) with GraphicsEnabler=No.

In testing I also found that I CANNOT use the npci=0x3000 chameleon flag with dual graphics cards, or my system will stop booting at: "Still waiting for root device". (Just an FYI) ;)

On a side note; I do not have the "editor" when posting...I had to manually add the images [ img ]. I have tried Firefox, Chrome, & Chromium...

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Motherboard
GIGABYTE X79-UD5
CPU
Xeon E5-2648L
Graphics
Dual: XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 8GB GDDR5
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Even though this is still an issue within the Chimera / Chameleon code. It is no longer an issue for me due to the fact that I recently upgraded my hardware.

I am now using two ATI 5770 graphics cards with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. Both seem to work correctly with 4 display monitors.

I still have the DVD Player problem, but it appears to not be related to this same issue.

Hopefully this issue will get resolved within the Chimera / Chameleon code so that people can use GraphicsEnabler=Yes with two cards (one from ATI & one from NVIDIA). I also think it has something to do with one card beging natively supported in OS X, and not the other.

Hopefully this will help someone else that is having this same trouble. ;)

Motherboard
CPU
i7 960
Graphics
2x ATI HD5870 2GB Eyefinity-6
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Was there anything special you had to do to get the monitors working other than setting GE=y?

I have two 5870 2gb eyefinity-6's, and i can only get one graphics card working at a time.

-R