Graphics
GTX 620
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have 10.6.8 working flawlessly with an I7-960, GA-X58A-UD3R, 24GB Kingston Memory, 2x2 TB Hitachi disks and an EVGA GTX 465. The problem is that when I put power to a second GTX 465, the system kernel panics on boot up. I remove power and the system is fine again. Does anyone have any ideas how to resolve this. I'm using the latest Nvidia drivers. My MB is at firmware FF.

This system is for computational chemistry so having the two Fermi boards will double the speed of my computations. This is not a gaming machine. My software is written in CUDA and I have no idea how much work it would take to make them SLI aware.

Thanks in advance.

(Pay no attention to the configuration with my signature - that is another machine I built)

Set BIOS to boot from second card may possibly bring you to graphic desktop if you are lucky. I have to manually inject EFI string into com.apple.Boot.plist with GraphicsEnabler=No to get my 2 cards running. Unfortunately, 10.6.8 update brings down my possible configuration and will never work properly if 2 cards are installed.

Here is what I did:
1. Make sure you have a proper running 10.6.7 system with 1 card
2. Generate EFI string with OSX86Tools or whatever, make sure you have the correct NVCAP value. And save both plist and Hex for further use.
3. Inject EFI strings into com.apple.Boot.plist and set GraphicsEnabler=No
4. Make sure the system runs properly with custom EFI strings
5. Remove the 1st card and put 2nd card in to the slot it should be when 2 cards are installed.
6. Repeat the procedure to have EFI strings for your 2nd card
7. Combine 2 plist in OSx86Tools to get final hex code as single string and put them into com.apple.Boot.plist
8. Try to alter which card initials first in BIOS, don't forget to move the monitor cable to the one that have priority.

I successfully did that with my 2 GTX 260 prior to 10.6.8 but not fermi cards.

Additionally, 10.6.8 brings down everything I did. I can't make it work on any condition, any kexts, and I gave up.

My configuration:
i7-950
12GB Kingston
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Dual GTX 260 with 4 Dell U2411H, 2 DVI, 2 HDMI to DVI

Good luck!

nice topic.
but i had a different problem.

My spec :

i5-650
Gigabyte p55-ud3p
GTS 250 (1 Dvi,1 Vga,1 Hdmi) <--- this stuff can't run 3 output simoultanly
because my two monitor only has vga output (because its 17",and just the one and only "VGA" output) i use the converter to one of them <--- on windows,normaly it can be run.
but on hackintosh,they wont run together,only one of it can be run. either the vga with converter or pure vga outputs.

does anybody can solve my problem ?

i am going to buy another graphic cards,it goes by 3 options :

1.i'm going to buy ATI 5770 zhlc with eyefinity,and hope my stuff can run 3 monitor outputs (dvi-dvi-hdmi)

2.i'm going to buy nvidia quadro 540

img20110323111959.jpg
to pair with my gts 250. can them run together ?

3.i'm going to buy the same type gts 250 and i will have to upgraded my psu (how many watts do i need to run 2 gts 250 ?)

i realy need your advice if you dont mind...

Moved to the correct forum, Graphics.

dz_camel said:
anyone can help me please... ? :)
hi
ATi 5770 not work for 3monitor (dvi - dvi - HDMI ) at the same time
it work for one dvi and one hdmi at the same time u need to active DP port >>> Dvi to get 3monitor.
if u need best card for 3 monitor then go buy Ati 6870 it work (one dvi - one hdmi - Mdp>>dvi )

hi,thx for replying :)
how about digital alliance eyefinity with 5 display port ?
the outputs are 2dvi and 3 hdmi.
can it run hackintosh well with 3 outputs simoultan ?

or should i add a new graphic card for it ? another type of card maybe some "nvidia quadro" ? .

can hackintosh runs 2 different types of graphic cards ?
on my case is GTS 250 with Nvidia Quadro 540.

To the OP. Im not sure if the EFI injection method works anymore as far as two cards go. I Have tried remaking the strings and it still doesn't want to work. Reading around I saw something about the PCI Configuration Begin error and someone said it was something in the DSDT that changed. Something about (_ADR, Zero) or something like that. It might be the way that the string is getting injected is calling for something different in the DSDT (<- Total Guess). I haven't seen to many people having multiple cards through DSDT though, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get one going through DSDT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back